It's just rare for a guy's first HC gig to be at a major program.

Stoops at OU

Weis at Notre Dame

Malzahn at Auburn

Helfricht at Oregon

Kelly at Oregon

Osborne at Nebraska

Solich at Nebraska

Petersen at Boise

Switzer at OU

Coker at Miami

Muschamp at Florida

Pelini at Nebraska

Shaw at Stanford

Richt at Georgia

O'Brien at Penn State

Bielema at Wisconsin

Swinney at Clemson

Fisher at Florida State

These are just the ones off the top of my head

Also, I've been saying for three years now, the risk of missing out on Scott because we didn't think he was ready yet, is greater than the risk of hiring him with a lack of head coaching experience and having it be bad.

Wow -- I never realized that. :thumbs

Hey! A new SF thread!

Haha. I didn't start this one to be just like the others. I put it here because I was curious about other "rumors" concerning Frost.

I do like the conversation in here though. The timing issue is interesting. May not ever really work out.

An additional question, does Frost want to come back to NU? I think people would have patience initially, but also fairly high expectations after a couple of years. Sometimes you have less pressure being away from "home".

In before someone says throw a bunch of money at him.

It's just rare for a guy's first HC gig to be at a major program.

Stoops at OU

Weis at Notre Dame

Malzahn at Auburn

Helfricht at Oregon

Kelly at Oregon

Osborne at Nebraska

Solich at Nebraska

Petersen at Boise

Switzer at OU

Coker at Miami

Muschamp at Florida

Pelini at Nebraska

Shaw at Stanford

Richt at Georgia

O'Brien at Penn State

Bielema at Wisconsin

Swinney at Clemson

Fisher at Florida State

These are just the ones off the top of my head

Also, I've been saying for three years now, the risk of missing out on Scott because we didn't think he was ready yet, is greater than the risk of hiring him with a lack of head coaching experience and having it be bad.

The problem with this list is you have Fisher, Swinney, Bielema, Shaw, Coker, Switzer, Peterson, Solich, Osborne, Kelly, Helfrich and Malzan (basically) that were all at the program and were internal promotions, everyone in the program mind of knew what they were getting.

Then you had 2 schools try to recreate the Belichick magic.

So really there was Richt, Stoops, Muschamp, and Pelini where nobody really knew what they were getting. (But TO had a pretty good idea)

So really there was Richt, Stoops, Muschamp, and Pelini where nobody really knew what they were getting. (But TO had a pretty good idea)

Fair enough, but the point is, you NEVER really know what you're getting, unless your new hire has coached at a school at the same level of prestige as yours and in a comparable recruiting footprint and conference strength. So. You basically never know what you're getting, unless you're Alabama hiring Nick Saban after he coached at LSU.

You've also got guys like Mike Shula and John Blake and probably many more flame outs on that list as well.

Absolutely. That's the point. There is no statistical evidence of any sort of category of hire being more successful than another.

For every new coach with head coaching experience that goes on to be a great hire, there's another with previous head coaching experience that goes on to be a terrible hire.

For every coordinator that gets a HC gig at a big time school and does great, there's another coordinator that does terrible.

Hypothetically speaking, if Scott Frost was brought in as HC, any ideas on who he would bring on his staff? I know that it's just speculation, but since this is rumorville and all, I'd be interested to hear what others with more insight in to Scott's career think about this. With it being his first HC job, would that also indicate that he doesn't have a lot of resources available to come in and be a part of his staff? We've obviously seen how important the staff is with the current situation. Just curious...