Hire John Bond or a Paul Johnson protege

First of all I'm not a troll, I like Nebraska, it's because of this that I wonder why going back to the triple option is such a crazy idea for the team that did it the best. First of all Shawn Eichorst should be fired for hiring Riley, you don't go about looking for the nicest guy available for a coaching search. He had absolutely no resume for coaching in the Midwest in the B1G. It's almost as bad a hire as Callahan. Nebraska is never going to recruit good enough to seriously contend for a National Championship. Period, the end. Times have changed and even Osbourne didn't recruit the most elite players, but he had a niche system and he found players that excelled in it. Look at Paul Johnson, he is 168-80 running the flexbone triple option, at Georgia Tech he won or shared the Coastal Division title in 4 of his first 7 years. Last year they beat Va Tech,Clemson, Georgia and Mississippi State. The offense is a nightmare to prepare for, look at all the games Notre Dame loses the week after they play Navy. Ohio State lost to Va Tech, the only team that beat them last year the week after they played Navy, Meyer admitted they were not prepared for Va Tech's defense because they put so much into Navy preparation. Nebraska would become a serious pain for cross division teams and they could better recruit for success because they would attract players that can excel in this type of system, just like running a spread enables teams with lesser athletes to even the odds against better teams, the triple option would by going back to old school, essentially do the same thing, as teams are used to being spread out and not smashed in the mouth. Call me crazy, but I think it would work well enough to Nebraska to contend for some B1G titles, that's not anywhere near the direction they are headed now. Bond who calls plays for Johnson, was very successful as an offensive coordinator at Northern Illinois and Army where they broke 35 school records running his offense. They could also do what they have been doing,trying to run a hybrid pro style spread attack and not ever winning the B1G West, if they were in the East they would get humiliated. This is madness,something needs to change.

• Fire 2

Lots of teams still run the option.

it's called read option.

You think Osborne, as inventive and cutting edge as he was, would still be powering up with the load and speed options from under center? Or running an offense more similar to that of Auburn and Oregon (not tempo. Just conceptually)? Id say the latter, since it was TO who pretty much laid the ground for the offenses we're seeing today with the things he was beginning to sprinkle in 20 years. Like i always say, TO was using spread option before the coaches of today even knew what option was.

• Fire 2

B1GBrutus - Heck yes I would take Paul Johnson and his offense at Nebraska, especially over what is there now (Riley), and I think it would work. Like you said, NU will probably never get the top tier talent in typical pro style offenses, so why not have a unique niche and recruit to that. I love the running game and would highly welcome any opportunity for Nebraska to get back to that hardnosed physical style of play.

The option offense needs to stay in the past where it belongs. We would endure years of records such as this season with that style. Simply put, we don't have the players or the recruits for this system.

If Georgia Tech can do it why can't Nebraska? Do you really think Riley is ever going to average the win total Bo did? I don't, maybe I'm wrong, the fit just doesn't feel right to me.

The option offense needs to stay in the past where it belongs. We would endure years of records such as this season with that style. Simply put, we don't have the players or the recruits for this system.

If Georgia Tech can do it why can't Nebraska? Do you really think Riley is ever going to average the win total Bo did? I don't, maybe I'm wrong, the fit just doesn't feel right to me.

Don't mind Decked, he's just a kid...

I don't even think he was alive last time we won a Nat'l Title...

• Fire 3

I would say our current roster is more set up for the option than the west coast offense. The one thing Tommy does really well is run the option pitch play. We've got a bunch of offensive linemen right now that were recruited for a run-first offense and are all road-graders, which is why they're struggling in pass protection this year. You need a playmaker at fullback for the option, well we've got Janovich. I'm not saying I'm in favor of bringing in Paul Johnson, but honestly looking at the roster, we'd be better served running the option than the system we currently have.

• Fire 1

I love the option, even though technically we were a power running team that simply incorporated the option to a large extent. I'm not sure how successful it'd be in today's day and age, but I do agree that at least it'd be a unique offense that would make Nebraska different, and it would make the kids who run that style of offense in HS want to come here.

Don't mind Decked, he's just a kid...

I don't even think he was alive last time we won a Nat'l Title...

please enlighten me on the fantastic year Paul Johnson is having currently. I'm waiting. Oh wait.