Should Eichorst Be Fired?

Should Eichorst be Fired?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm curious where people stand on this issue, and added a couple of related sub-questions.

There's a crisis in leadership, and I don't think Eichorst will recover in the eyes of many (most?) fans. Once that happens, replacement is really the only option.

To me, even if you think Riley could turn it around, I don't think there's a hope in hell of uniting the fan base absent an "impartial" AD coming in and assessing the state of the football program.

My personal opinion is that we should fire Eichorst now, let an impartial AD assess Riley's performance after this year (and probably give him at least one more year), and fire Perlman now. I don't think Perlman should be allowed to just ride this out until retirement, especially if he's serious about extending Eichorst, let alone refuses to fire him.

Edited by cm husker
This falls in the same category as "Should we fire our coach?"—a Rumorville category. It's a topic worthy of discussion. But not in the Football forum. Carry on.
  • Fire 2

Perlman is a an embarrassment any time he opens his mouth, I would fire him now just to limit the risk of any more damage such as giving Eichorst a 10 year extension. Eichorst should be gone as well. The way he got this job was sneaky from the beginning, and let's face it I know he's the Athletic Director so he's in charge of all sports but make no mistake about it football is the money maker. And how he conducted this past coaching search, and hiring a guy that's about 10 years past his prime shows how incompetent he is.

For Riley, as bad as I want him to go, the more I think about it, I guess he should be given another year with the hope that his pal Banker has a mid life crisis and decides he wants to quit coaching and move to Costa Rica. I wouldn't be opposed to firing him after this year either because Riley just simply isn't a fit for Nebraska football. Still on the fence with him. But Banker has to go or else we'll continue being a last place defense.

• Fire 1

Hasn't UNL fared pretty well under Perlman? Athletics is a fairly small percentage of his responsibilities.

I have heard that, but I don't know the ins-and-outs of the University as much as I follow athletics. I know we lost our AAU accreditation during his tenure, but that is about it.

Hasn't UNL fared pretty well under Perlman? Athletics is a fairly small percentage of his responsibilities.

The university has done reasonably well, but the metrics are hard to isolate, and it's almost impossible to determine his marginal impact.

And I get that athletics are a small part of the university, but they are also the front porch of the U. AND, they provide the best insight into leadership ability. In other words, they are a decent proxy for his overall performance, especially when he regularly inserts himself into the operations of the department.

• Fire 1

It would be a small percentage of his responsibilities if he didn't get his fingers dirty with football so often. He's like John Dupont from the Foxcatcher, never good at sports but wants to hang his hat on an athletic legacy. With him giving that extension to Steve Pederson and then hiring Eichorst behind Osborne's and everyone's back while Tom still technically was holding the position says it all. The guy is a snake.

Pearlman should stick it out till retirement only because I dont know if the school would have to pay him millions as well to leave early. Seems to be a big reason of not firing Riley is the buyout. Well, does Pearlman have a buy out too? Let him stay, but don't let him make any big time decisions.

Pearlman should stick it out till retirement only because I dont know if the school would have to pay him millions as well to leave early. Seems to be a big reason of not firing Riley is the buyout. Well, does Pearlman have a buy out too? Let him stay, but don't let him make any big time decisions.

The only way Perlman gets the axe or resigns earlier than anticipated is if he is outnumbered by is constituents.

I have heard that, but I don't know the ins-and-outs of the University as much as I follow athletics. I know we lost our AAU accreditation during his tenure, but that is about it.

As much as I dislike Harvey the Wonder Chancellor, the AAU thing isn't his fault. It's the AAU discrediting Agricultural research dollars (something that makes up a significant amount of research money at NU), and NU not being able to roll up the UNMC under NU's research due to how it's creation was structured.

The Houston Chronicle had a very good piece years ago when this happened that spelled most of this out--I'll see if I can find/link.

But yeah, as much as Harvey has f****d up, the AAU thing isn't on him. It's on the AAU.

Question on the extension HP is giving him. Does anyone know where SE is on his contract? I can't remember what his original contract length was. Wondering if this is maybe around the time is contract should be extended anyway, and it just looks bad because HP is retiring soon. But if his contract is at the renew stage, what else should HP do, I want him still working and doing what he's supposed to be doing until his replacement can come in and start the transition. As for now, I'm OK with Eichorst getting the extension, I'm still supporting him and I think we are now seeing just how deep the poisonous well went within the football program. Replacing him (and Riley) now would be a crippling blow to an already very unstable program. What we need more than anything is consistency and positive energy to rebuild. SE and Riley are the two guys that are synonymous, IMO, to consistency and positivity. Right now, we need both to stay until we get to smooth waters.

He has about 2 years left on his existing contract.

An extension by Perly on his way out would just be a kiss.

Consistency and positive energy won't come from Perlman or Eichorst. You can't sabotage a team to advance an agenda and then expect people with brains to get onboard.

Both of them need to go, and a new, impartial AD needs to come in and oversee FB.