I thought we should have kicked the extra point

Okay, now that I'm coming down from the high of this dramatic win, I can bring this up. After we scored the winning TD and then missed the two-point conversion, I was really biting my nails. That meant we had a two-point lead instead of the three-point one we would have had if we had kicked the extra point. In other words, Michigan State could win the game with just a field goal if they could have gotten down the field far enough to get within range. If we had been up by three points, they could only have sent the game into OT with a field goal.

I watched this game at Beef O Brady's in Meridian, Idaho with the Idaho Huskers club. Many of the other fans felt the same way I did. We were screaming for the team to kick the extra point instead of trying the two pointer. I'm curious if other fans back in Nebraska and around the country thought the same thing, that we should have kicked the extra point. I'm delighted that we won, and it doesn't matter that it was by 2 points instead of by 3, but for a while there I was crapping my pants afraid of yet another disaster.

we won by 1. if we had made the 2 pt. conversion then the spartans could have sent it to OT with a FG.

I just looked up the score. You're right. Must have had too much beer. Never mind. Just close this thread.

Actually, the decision to go for two early in the fourth quarter is the one that could have killed us. If we kick that extra point, then kick the extra point after the last touchdown, we are up three and a last second FG by Mich state only ties us.

• Fire 2

we won by 1. if we had made the 2 pt. conversion then the spartans could have sent it to OT with a FG.

I just looked up the score. You're right. Must have had too much beer. Never mind. Just close this thread.

can't blame anyone for being a bit fuzzy on the details after the euphoria of this victory. and the celebrating that probably happened afterward. :)

Yeah, before that play I was thinking we should kick the extra point too. OTOH, it's easy to armchair QB every decision in the game, after the fact. At that point in the game we were moving the ball pretty well on Sparty. Going for the two wasn't a bad decision at all.

• Fire 1

I'm not sure how much the Idaho Husker club drank but going for 2 was the only call there. Period. What does a 2 put lead do for you in that situation. You make the 2 pt and you are up by three and can't get beat by a FG

If there was a minute or two left, sure. But IIRC there was most of a quarter left to play. Given the different scoring scenarios it was hard to tell at that point what the score would be towards the end. :dunno:

It stemmed from going for two early in the fourth trying to make it a three point game at the time. There were 12 minutes left and seemed early to start chasing points. You kick it there, you kick it after the Reilly td and make it a three point game. But that is all hind sight.

I hate coaches that are married to the chart that says when to go for two. Too many times they use that"logic" far early in a game and get bitten by the choice.

As I said in the game thread though, can't blame him for going for it knowing the tendency of the defense is to give up scores.

I was ok with the call early in the 4th as well. We were trying to put it into a 3 point game at that time where a FG could tie it assuming we could hold the. We didn't hold them so it didn't work out that way. In the end when it comes down to the final 2-3 minutes of a game you need however many points you need. Turned out we needed 7 and we got them.

Actually, the decision to go for two early in the fourth quarter is the one that could have killed us. If we kick that extra point, then kick the extra point after the last touchdown, we are up three and a last second FG by Mich state only ties us.

I agree. I think many coaches but not all, kick the PAT in that situation and don't chase points with that much time left. I wanted them to kick the PAT.

I like our chances in the two point conversion attempts generally, assuming (a big assumption I know) that we use Tommy as a runner/thrower etc. We have plenty of offensive play choices to give us better than a 50/50 shot of making the play. We have, in my opinion, better than a 50/50 shot of just running the ball in with Cross or even Ozigbo. Newbe not so much but maybe 35% chances. therefore, we could likely benefit by going for two all the time, (routinely). Between our running options and many passing options and a QB who avoids the pass rush very well, I think we could get 2 about 65% of the time. Over a season, that adds up to serious points and can get us off the one score and tie deal that creates all the stress down the stretch. If we had picked a couple extra poiints earlier in the game in this way, we would have been further ahead in the final seconds perhaps. A number of these nail biters would have been wins, maybe.

Okay, now that I'm coming down from the high of this dramatic win, I can bring this up. After we scored the winning TD and then missed the two-point conversion, I was really biting my nails. That meant we had a two-point lead instead of the three-point one we would have had if we had kicked the extra point. In other words, Michigan State could win the game with just a field goal if they could have gotten down the field far enough to get within range. If we had been up by three points, they could only have sent the game into OT with a field goal.

I watched this game at Beef O Brady's in Meridian, Idaho with the Idaho Huskers club. Many of the other fans felt the same way I did. We were screaming for the team to kick the extra point instead of trying the two pointer. I'm curious if other fans back in Nebraska and around the country thought the same thing, that we should have kicked the extra point. I'm delighted that we won, and it doesn't matter that it was by 2 points instead of by 3, but for a while there I was crapping my pants afraid of yet another disaster.

You might just be mis-remembering which 2-pt try you thought was wrong. The first 2-pt try early in the fourth quarter I thought was premature. And failing on the first one is what necessitated going for another one on the last TD. Because being up by 1 or 2 makes no difference. The final 2pt was definitely correct. The first one was perhaps premature.

The first 2-pt try was the one the announcers were saying was premature.

Of course, then at the end of the game the Huskers were down 5. If they had made that 2 pt conversion they would only be down 3. If they had gone with a PAT they would be down 4. Proved to be worth a shot, in the end.

It was a little early, but not that early. It was the 4th quarter, right? I think if you have the chance to turn a 2-TD deficit into a TD+FG deficit, you gotta try it.

12 points can turn into 15 (2TD) or 18-20 (3TD) with another MSU score. 11 points turns into 14 (2TD) or 17-19 (3TD, unless they miss the PAT; then it's 2TD+FG) with next MSU score.

12 points can turn into 9 (TD+FG) or 4-6 (TD) with another Husker score. 11 points turns into a 1-score game with next Husker score.

Seems like basically the right call to me.