Nebraska High School Players - Class of 2017

Which leads me to this. What has happened to the quality class A Nebraska football? Surely talent doesn't just disappear like that?

It's pretty crazy - in a bad way - how little football talent Class A has produced over the last few years. No idea what happened but it's not a good trend.

Class B has been pretty good. Maybe better than Class A over the last couple years.

This is not in any way a knock on the guys we're looking at/offered, but if the best players currently in the state are from Aurora, Beatrice, Ashland-Greenwood and Gretna, that's not speaking very highly of Class A ball in the state.

Last year the Huskers offered three in-state guys and only one of them played Class A.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that Gretna has to be knocking on the door for Class A just due to the housing boom out there.

What I heard from a teacher out there is that they don't have room to take on many more students. They would have to add more space and remodel or else build another school.

I would LOVE to see Lincoln and Omaha open more schools to get the (NSAA enrollment) numbers down to about 1000 per. It spreads out talent but it helps regulate the Class B disparage. Gretna/Columbus should never be playing Holdrege or Adams Central.

Not sure how this fits in to this convo. But when I was playing peewee league ball in Olathe, Kansas we used to host teams from all over the Midwest sometimes. Now me being 20, this isn't super old or anything. However, I remember we used to play teams from Omaha & Lincoln, And to be fairly honest, I didn't realize and I don't mean to offend you all, but how bad some of those teams are. We used to straight crush some of those kids. I'm still very confident even to this day, you could take the Kansas winners from 4A, 5A, and 6A and play the title winners from Nebraska and it wouldn't even be close.

Which leads me to this. What has happened to the quality class A Nebraska football? Surely talent doesn't just disappear like that?

No offense taken. People from McCook might take offense because they think they are God's gift to humanity.

Nebraska High school football just isn't very good. Some may argue that opening more schools hurts developing talent because the best players can't always play at the same schools. I'm not really concerned with developing D1 talent as much as I'm concerned with building the man, preparing him for life, and putting him in the best position to succeed. Most of the time, teaching D1 technique isn't going to work with 95% or more of the student base in Nebraska. 99.99999% of the athletes in Nebraska end up finishing their careers in HS.

Unless your from McCook, then you just chose to hang it up even though you got "multiple offers and looks". Besides, playing at McCook is a far superior fan atmosphere than playing anywhere in Nebraska except at Lincoln. <_<<_<<_<<_<

It's pretty crazy - in a bad way - how little football talent Class A has produced over the last few years. No idea what happened but it's not a good trend.

Class B has been pretty good. Maybe better than Class A over the last couple years.

Class B may be producing more individual talent, as many Omaha-area families now prefer to attend schools in Elkhorn, Gretna, Ashland-Greenwood, and other smaller towns just outside of Omaha, instead of having their kids attend OPS schools. Throw in Skutt Catholic, and there are plenty of growing schools outside the traditional Class A schools from Omaha and Lincoln.

However, the top Class A schools are going to have much more depth and overall talent than Class B schools and would probably beat them handily on the field.

Class B may be producing more individual talent, as many Omaha-area families now prefer to attend schools in Elkhorn, Gretna, Ashland-Greenwood, and other smaller towns just outside of Omaha, instead of having their kids attend OPS schools. Throw in Skutt Catholic, and there are plenty of growing schools outside the traditional Class A schools from Omaha and Lincoln.

However, the top Class A schools are going to have much more depth and overall talent than Class B schools and would probably beat them handily on the field.

Yeah, I was talking about legit Power 5 players. Class A definitely has better overall talent but they haven't been producing much as far as elite guys.

Yeah, I was talking about legit Power 5 players. Class A definitely has better overall talent but they haven't been producing much as far as elite guys.

In 2017, that looks to be true, but the best players in 2015 and 2016 were from Omaha and Lincoln. I am not sure why Bubak attended Lincoln Christian, other than his parents wanting him to attend a parochial school.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/RecruitRankings?State=NE

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?State=NE

But, as others have stated, there doesn't seem to be a lot of stud recruits being produced in-state right now.

In 2017, that looks to be true, but the best players in 2015 and 2016 were from Omaha and Lincoln. I am not sure why Bubak attended Lincoln Christian, other than his parents wanting him to attend a parochial school.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/RecruitRankings?State=NE

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?State=NE

But, as others have stated, there doesn't seem to be a lot of stud recruits being produced in-state right now.

But that's the point. Just because Bubak is from Lincoln doesn't mean he gets to qualify as Class A.

Per your links, in 2016 there were 5 Nebraska kids that went to Power Five schools. 1 from OPS, 1 from LPS, 1 from Class B and 2 from Class C.

In 2015 there were only 3 that went to Power 5 schools - 2 from OPS and 1 from Class B

In 2014 there were only 4 - 1 from OPS, 2 from LPS and 1 from Class B

I don't really count LoCouture in 2013 because he was only in Nebraska for one year. He would be one for LPS but other than that there were only 2 Power 5 players - 1 from LPS and 1 from Class D

And in 2012 there were a total of 3 in the Power 5 - 2 from LPS and 1 from Class D

So out of every high school player that went to high school mostly in Nebraska and could be enrolled in college right now, there are only a total of 17 that went to Power 5 schools.

Of those 17, OPS only produced 4 of them - not even 1 per year. LPS produced 6. Class B produced 3. Class C produced 2 and Class D produced 2.

So there are as nearly as many from Class B as from OPS and the same number from Classes C and D as there are from OPS.

This is true to an extent. I would say that the top teams in Class A consist of maybe 4 in a given year. I haven't watched a Class A game since I went to every Kearney High game back in the fall of 2008. I've seen some Class B playoff games since then. Aurora, Gretna, and McCook. The glaring difference isn't, for lack of a better term, talent. It's the speed. That 2008 Kearney team went 6-3 lost a couple heartbreakers, and lost to Omaha North in the Quarterfinals. They had SPEED. I watch Gretna, Aurora, and McCook and they have plenty of athletes of the same size and stature as some of these Class A schools, but lack the pure speed at skill positions.

I think Elkhorn is a prime example. They moved into Class A right around that 2008 season. They went like 7-2.

This is not in any way a knock on the guys we're looking at/offered, but if the best players currently in the state are from Aurora, Beatrice, Ashland-Greenwood and Gretna, that's not speaking very highly of Class A ball in the state.

Last year the Huskers offered three in-state guys and only one of them played Class A.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that Gretna has to be knocking on the door for Class A just due to the housing boom out there.

What I heard from a teacher out there is that they don't have room to take on many more students. They would have to add more space and remodel or else build another school.

I would LOVE to see Lincoln and Omaha open more schools to get the (NSAA enrollment) numbers down to about 1000 per. It spreads out talent but it helps regulate the Class B disparage. Gretna/Columbus should never be playing Holdrege or Adams Central.

Not sure how this fits in to this convo. But when I was playing peewee league ball in Olathe, Kansas we used to host teams from all over the Midwest sometimes. Now me being 20, this isn't super old or anything. However, I remember we used to play teams from Omaha & Lincoln, And to be fairly honest, I didn't realize and I don't mean to offend you all, but how bad some of those teams are. We used to straight crush some of those kids. I'm still very confident even to this day, you could take the Kansas winners from 4A, 5A, and 6A and play the title winners from Nebraska and it wouldn't even be close.

No offense taken. People from McCook might take offense because they think they are God's gift to humanity.

Nebraska High school football just isn't very good. Some may argue that opening more schools hurts developing talent because the best players can't always play at the same schools. I'm not really concerned with developing D1 talent as much as I'm concerned with building the man, preparing him for life, and putting him in the best position to succeed. Most of the time, teaching D1 technique isn't going to work with 95% or more of the student base in Nebraska. 99.99999% of the athletes in Nebraska end up finishing their careers in HS.

Unless your from McCook, then you just chose to hang it up even though you got "multiple offers and looks". Besides, playing at McCook is a far superior fan atmosphere than playing anywhere in Nebraska except at Lincoln. <_<<_<<_<<_<

Yikes. Being from Western Nebraska, I like to rag on McCook as much as the next sane man, but what did the Bison do to you? Can you point on the doll where they touched you?

Swing and a miss by the staff, IMO. Be interested to see if they keep pursuing him.

Can't really call it a swing and a miss if the coaching staff never even offered, can you?

Should it be "caught looking" then?

We were caught looking, just like every other P5 school not named Minnesota.

I wish him luck with the Gophs 11 games a year.

Brett was a lock to be a Husker if we offered. He grew up a Husker fan...his dad played here...he has a brother on the team now....1 of his best friends from high school (Stille) is on the team.......but we didn't show a lot of interest and he was the Gophers top o-line target. i wish him the best but regret not seeing him in Husker red. I hope he reaches his goals through Minnesota