Mavric

Nebraska High School Players - Class of 2017

Out of the group of In state O-Linemen who is the best tackle prospect? You'd have to think that kid would be most likely to get an offer from us.

Unfortunately all instate lineman remotely close to being considered for an offer are interior guys. Well I guess Strom could maybe be in the discussion, but I don't buy it...especially at OT.

I really hope we offer Kittrell. He seems like a DT prospect Nebraska doesn't want leaving the state.

This is not in any way a knock on the guys we're looking at/offered, but if the best players currently in the state are from Aurora, Beatrice, Ashland-Greenwood and Gretna, that's not speaking very highly of Class A ball in the state.

Last year the Huskers offered three in-state guys and only one of them played Class A.

This is not in any way a knock on the guys we're looking at/offered, but if the best players currently in the state are from Aurora, Beatrice, Ashland-Greenwood and Gretna, that's not speaking very highly of Class A ball in the state.

Last year the Huskers offered three in-state guys and only one of them played Class A.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that Gretna has to be knocking on the door for Class A just due to the housing boom out there.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that Gretna has to be knocking on the door for Class A just due to the housing boom out there.

Kind of. They are #5 in Class B but they are over 100 kids from being Class A.

But considering all the athletes available, plus the advantages of competition, specialization facilities and training, that's a pretty glaring lack of production.

Kind of. They are #5 in Class B but they are over 100 kids from being Class A.

But considering all the athletes available, plus the advantages of competition, specialization facilities and training, that's a pretty glaring lack of production.

I agree with your 2nd sentence.

On a side note, I didn't know that Columbus and Hastings are B schools now. And it looks like North Platte and Norfolk are soon to be taken over by some of the suburban Omaha schools. Kearney and Fremont are pretty far down that list as well. In 10 years it might just be Omaha/Lincoln/GI for class A. (Go Islanders!)

It's headed that way. But I think I heard that Elkhorn has plans in the works for another high school so they can all stay Class B. I don't think I made that up, anyway.

And while we are somewhat on the subject, I am sure this gets brought up regularly, but whatever happened to the Omaha running back? We haven't had one since Horne? We still would supplement from out of state (Brown, Phillips, etc.), but in the 80s/90s we lived off them. K Jones, Flowers, Clark, C Jones, Childs, Benning, Green.

It's headed that way. But I think I heard that Elkhorn has plans in the works for another high school so they can all stay Class B. I don't think I made that up, anyway.

I know Elkhorn and OPS are both looking to add high schools. I wouldn't be surprised if Gretna builds a second instead of going Class A when they get to that point. It is a big selling point for a lot of people.

Brett Kitrell stands just outside the weight room of Ashland-Greenwood High School, talking about a young life spent in sports, particularly football. His dad, Barry, played fullback at Nebraska, so Brett and his three brothers have grown up loving the game. One of them, Bo Kitrell, is at Nebraska now as a walk-on fullback.

Brett, one of the best-built in-state line prospects in years, is angling for a scholarship offer from Dad’s alma mater. Brett didn’t play organized football until sixth grade, but he’d played years of tackle football with his brothers to prepare.

OWH

By the way, the youngest Kitrell won both the shot and disc at the state Jr. High track meet last weekend. All classes compete together.

Could Strom grow into being a huge offensive tackle? Or does he project as a TE?

In my opinion I think he is a TE. I think it might depend on how his senior year of football goes.
Not fast enough to be an effective D1 TE. I bet they all see an OT project. That's where the money would be long term!