Previous Officiating

Hello, long time reader but this is my first OP. Was curious with all officiating "questionable" calls this year. I do not remember officials getting this much attention in the past. A call would be made, people would question it for a bit then move on.

I'm seeing videos of chief officials explaining on videos of a certain call and almost having to go out of their way to defend the game official. Has this always been happening an I am just really seeing this for the first time? Or a we not trusting officiating as a whole?

• Fire 1

It's a confluence of things. More camera angles showing us how a call was made, more widely televised games, more immediate feedback through social media and I think there's a measure of fan desire to understand why something is called a certain way.

I don't think it's necessarily a measure of trust now compared to previous years. I just think games have bigger audiences and fans have more platforms to state their opinions.

• Fire 1

With video review, there are very few missed calls these days.

In the past, there were a lot of missed calls, including plenty of game-changers.

The rules for a receiver being forced out of bounds and coming back in to catch the ball aren't new, but we don't learn all the fine points until it affects a big game.

There are still a lot of plays that can't be reviewed, like holding and pass interference. While that might make the game totally fair, it's kind of a nightmare to envision how those games would be played.

I will say there have been crazier plays this year than the average season. I thought the MSU-Michigan ending would take the cake, but the Miami-Duke laterals and last week's Arkansas-FSU game, Montana-Idaho State game, and Nebraska-MSU game are right up there.