Pelini goes off on officials in YSU vs NDSU game, drawing 2 unsportsmanlike penalties

huskerfan711

so much for another school hiring him and reducing our payouts to him. he took over a playoff team from last year and will miss their playoffs this year. and his 9 wins per year is doomed as the most he can possibly win this year is now 6.

Youngstown absolutely did not make the playoffs last year and the coach was fired for never taking YSU there. No Pelini did not inherit a bare cupboard, but he has yet to really regress the program. They may win next week and finish 6-5, leaving them one win short of the playoffs, which would be exactly where the team was last year. That vaunted 9 wins per year also included 13 and 14 game schedules, not 11 like YSU has this year.

my bad on the playoffs. i saw that they played more games last year then this year and assumed they must have made the playoffs.

Dirk:

You can blast Bo Pelini for his behavior in the final minute of Youngstown State-North Dakota State. But I'm want to focus — just for a moment — on a different angle to Saturday's meltdown: the actual result of the game.

I don't recall seeing a head coach essentially give up on his team the way Pelini did after the pass interference call (which was the right call!). NDSU has first-and-goal at the Youngstown 6-yard line. The Bison run on first down and get stuffed with 1:14 left.

Pelini should've called timeout. Any coach with his head on straight would've called timeout. There's absolutely no risk for the Bison in running clock. The team that needs to preserve clock is Youngstown. Pelini didn't do it. NDSU milks the clock, then scores on second-and-goal with 35 seconds left.

Then, of course, he committed two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties when his team only needed about 40 yards to reach field-goal range, tie the game and save the season.

Over the past 36 hours, there's been a lot of talk here and across the country about Pelini's latest meltdown. But imagine being the quarterback or a wide receiver or an offensive lineman. You should've had a minute left to go tie (or win) the game.

Instead, your head coach basically blacked out.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/mad-chatter-nu-iowa-and-how-neighbors-become-bitter-enemies/article_bcd42778-8c8d-11e5-9916-bbad54c028db.html?mode=jqm

• Fire 3

If Pelini would have gotten the penalty right after the PI call, while they were still on defense, it would have been half the distance to the goal. Then, he could have stormed off the field in a huge profanity laden protest and his team would have had a better shot at winning the game without their head coach.

It was a total mismanagement of the remainder of the game for 10+ actual minutes (1:14 game time) after a correct call.

His press conference was that same old angry Bo. Short angry answers dripping with hate and sarcasm. Get some meds Bo..............

He needs more help than simply moving back home and taking a low-pressure job. He needs professional psychiatric help. I hope for his sake, and the sake of people around him, he gets it.

Seriously.

Maybe he can get a job at a Colorado JUCO - I understand the whacky weed tends to mellow a soul.

carl-pelini.jpg

Hey, me too, right?

I've been thinking about this, and about the coaches saying "all we had to do was make the Youngstown sideline uncomfortable and they'd implode". Thinking back, I remember plenty of camera shots to the sidelines the last couple seasons where an angry Bo always had Kenny Bell or some other player over his shoulder, or with a hand on his arm. It's like our players figured out too that they needed to keep one eye on their coach's temper if they didn't want to implode.

Youngstown state players are probably figuring this out about now too. Meanwhile our players are figuring out they no longer have to.

• Fire 1

Wow, today I learned that in ... 2012? When the Daimion Stafford GIF happened, Harvey Perlman came out with a strongly worded support of the New Bo, even decrying media perceptions not being reality.

You can't say they didn't give him a chance.

I know there are many stories of Bo the kind-hearted man taking time out to help people. Well, Bo is the one who needs to get some help right now. His struggles don't make him a bad person. But it's bordering on irresponsible for him to continue to be put in a head coaching position right now. It may have been from the start, to jump from Nebraska straight back into the chair. I hope they get him some resources, and maybe suggest a leave of absence to straighten things up.

Wow, today I learned that in ... 2012? When the Daimion Stafford GIF happened, Harvey Perlman came out with a strongly worded support of the New Bo, even decrying media perceptions not being reality.

You can't say they didn't give him a chance.

I know there are many stories of Bo the kind-hearted man taking time out to help people. Well, Bo is the one who needs to get some help right now. His struggles don't make him a bad person. But it's bordering on irresponsible for him to continue to be put in a head coaching position right now. It may have been from the start, to jump from Nebraska straight back into the chair. I hope they get him some resources, and maybe suggest a leave of absence to straighten things up.

that link sure blows a hole in the conspiracy theory about the administration never supporting Bo,

Remember the Iowa game? PI called on a clear overthrow. Does Bo let it go? No he takes off his hat and hits the official with his hat. 15 yards later, Iowa goes on to win.

As a coach, when I see an opposing player starting to melt down on a call, I know we have got them right where we want them. Today, I told my team to worry about what they can control and let go what they can't including officiating calls.

I knew we lost games because of Bo, and now it's confirmed beyond doubt.

Good riddance...

Remember the Iowa game? PI called on a clear overthrow. Does Bo let it go? No he takes off his hat and hits the official with his hat. 15 yards later, Iowa goes on to win.

As a coach, when I see an opposing player starting to melt down on a call, I know we have got them right where we want them. Today, I told my team to worry about what they can control and let go what they can't including officiating calls.

Good riddance...

He didn't hit the official with his hat. :facepalm:

There's plenty of stuff that Bo actually did to legitimately criticize him for, so there is no need to make stuff up.

• Fire 1

Good riddance...

He didn't hit the official with his hat. :facepalm:

There's plenty of stuff that Bo actually did to legitimately criticize him for, so there is no need to make stuff up.

I don't know, when I watch the video it appears the ref reacts like the strap hit him somewhere. But if not, he at least covered the refs hands with spit so he deserved the penalty. He was arguing about a PI call he didn't like to get that 15 yarder too, wasn't he.

PeliniSpit.jpg