QB Recruiting - Past & Present

zoogs

23 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Sad to see such a lack of attachment for so many guys to move around as free agents in effect.  

It seems far too many are just focused on sports participation with little regard for education matters.  When 90% plus of college athletes even at the top levels of the sport are never going to be a pro, the schools and players are truly wasting the time in school.  School is just ancillary and incidental.   Somehow the purpose for being in college is being lost. 

Many kids have big dreams I guess but apparently the players are not enjoying their time as college students and are just viewing the whole college experience as a “job” not an adventure in life and becoming a successful adult ready to enter post athletics life generally. 

Maybe not a new thing but the detachment from friends, school and team mates & coaches is troubling certainly.  

Ahh, someone is stuck in the past and romanticizing the college football experience.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

37 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Ahh, someone is stuck in the past and romanticizing the college football experience.

I sure hope this is THE CULTURE that Scott Frost is seeking at NU. No reason to be some bygone deal.  Team.  Not a bunch of individuals with like uniforms.  I don’t believe Tom Osborne coached Frost or any of his thousands of players that way. 

12 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I sure hope this is THE CULTURE that Scott Frost is seeking at NU. No reason to be some bygone deal.  Team.  Not a bunch of individuals with like uniforms.  I don’t believe Tom Osborne coached Frost or any of his thousands of players that way. 

I am confident that Frost and the coaching staff is focused on the team.  However, these players put in way too much work during their youth and high school days, only to come to college and sit on the bench for 5 years.  They want to go to college and play.  That's what is leading to the proliferation of transfers, especially at the QB level.  If the grad transfer rule were available 25-30 years ago, I would think guys like Berringer, Turman, Gdowski, and others would have left NU to start at another school.  That doesn't make them less of a teammate or someone who doesn't like the college experience.

One final note.  If you don't think that playing Division 1 sports isn't basically a job, you are wrong.  These men and women are putting in 20 hours of week in official practices/meetings, another 5-10 hours a week in training, another 5-10 hours a week in personal player development, along with the number of hours studying and being around the facility.  These college athletes aren't like normal students.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am confident that Frost and the coaching staff is focused on the team.  However, these players put in way too much work during their youth and high school days, only to come to college and sit on the bench for 5 years.  They want to go to college and play.  That's what is leading to the proliferation of transfers, especially at the QB level.  If the grad transfer rule were available 25-30 years ago, I would think guys like Berringer, Turman, Gdowski, and others would have left NU to start at another school.  That doesn't make them less of a teammate or someone who doesn't like the college experience.

One final note.  If you don't think that playing Division 1 sports isn't basically a job, you are wrong.  These men and women are putting in 20 hours of week in official practices/meetings, another 5-10 hours a week in training, another 5-10 hours a week in personal player development, along with the number of hours studying and being around the facility.  These college athletes aren't like normal students.

it's like that in every Division.  At least during the season.  They will have from whatever time you last class is until about 10pm.  

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Thank you.  I wasn't trying to minimize the work outside of D-1, but yes, playing college sports is a full-time job.

I can still remember freshmen year in the dorms.  The players that lived on my floor would be leaving with me for a 9am class and they would not get back until 9pm.  

• Plus1 1