White Student Union

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. I saw earlier today that there was a push to form a "White Student Union" at the University of Illinois after increases in black protest on that campus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/11/20/white-student-union-challenges-black-lives-matter-at-university-of-illinois/

From the little I have read, I'm not sure the approach taken by whoever is posting this suggestion makes sense, but I do wonder if we will see some groups opposed to all the Black Lives Matter groups (or similar) start to get active on college campuses. The U of I administration condemned the White Student Union and has contacted facebook multiple times to have it removed.

Speaking of Black Lives Matters, I see that our great chancellor, Harvey, sent out a note the other day talking about how great Black Lives Matter is, and encouraged everyone to participate in their rally, and that he would be there too. Now I wonder if there was a White Student Union or some other opposition group if Harvey would endorse it and attend as well. I mean, there could be white students that feel there is too high of a percentage of blacks on the football team or in other major sports relative to the national racial percentages, and that there must be equity in that regard. I don't believe in giving any group special treatment and believe the best person should get the job/position.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be more to come on this, especially if it continues or builds steam.

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. I saw earlier today that there was a push to form a "White Student Union" at the University of Illinois after increases in black protest on that campus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/11/20/white-student-union-challenges-black-lives-matter-at-university-of-illinois/

From the little I have read, I'm not sure the approach taken by whoever is posting this suggestion makes sense, but I do wonder if we will see some groups opposed to all the Black Lives Matter groups (or similar) start to get active on college campuses. The U of I administration condemned the White Student Union and has contacted facebook multiple times to have it removed.

Speaking of Black Lives Matters, I see that our great chancellor, Harvey, sent out a note the other day talking about how great Black Lives Matter is, and encouraged everyone to participate in their rally, and that he would be there too. Now I wonder if there was a White Student Union or some other opposition group if Harvey would endorse it and attend as well. I mean, there could be white students that feel there is too high of a percentage of blacks on the football team or in other major sports relative to the national racial percentages, and that there must be equity in that regard. I don't believe in giving any group special treatment and believe the best person should get the job/position.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be more to come on this, especially if it continues or builds steam.

No, and it would be stupid if he did. Whites don't need to form their own special group to get their voices heard. They're over represented in pretty much every positive category you can think of, and underrepresented in the negative ones.

Created Wednesday after a protest sympathetic to Black Lives Matter, the page declared itself “for white students of University of Illinois to be able to form a community and discuss our own issues as well as be able to organize against the terrorism we have been facing from Black Lives Matter activists on campus,” as the Daily Illini reported.

I can't say I support this White Student Union thing. But is it any worse than the BLM movement? They're getting together to TALK about the terrorism of the BLM protesters. Terrorism you ask? What's that all about? Let me add this to the conversation:

At a number of campuses across Missouri BLM protesters sought out and vandalized the cars of white students. They weren't the cars of racist white students. The vandalized cars belonged to random college students who happened to be white. If the BLM protesters saw a white student park their car in a university lot, they'd wait until the student went inside. And then they'd vandalize it. A freshman student from my hometown had BLM protesters break the window to get into her car, break off the knobs and plastic parts from inside the car, steal the battery, pour something into the engine that damaged the engine, and steal stuff out of the trunk. They basically ruined her car. She's working her way through college and can't afford a new car. And she wasn't the only one who had her car damaged. She told me that dozens of cars parked in the university lots at this Missouri University got damaged in the same way by BLM protesters. (fyi, It wasn't Mizzou.) I'm not sure that I would label the car vandalism as terrorism. But it was certainly criminal behavior. And oddly, the media didn't report anything at all about it. Not even a little blurb in the local paper or the school newspaper.

btw, That college student whose car was vandalized is a liberal democrat active in campus politics. She was very sympathetic to the BLM movement. That is, until they destroyed her car. She's not so sympathetic now.

• Fire 3

No, and it would be stupid if he did. Whites don't need to form their own special group to get their voices heard. They're over represented in pretty much every positive category you can think of, and underrepresented in the negative ones.

how are the whites under represented in the negative category wise?

Created Wednesday after a protest sympathetic to Black Lives Matter, the page declared itself “for white students of University of Illinois to be able to form a community and discuss our own issues as well as be able to organize against the terrorism we have been facing from Black Lives Matter activists on campus,” as the Daily Illini reported.

I can't say I support this White Student Union thing. But is it any worse than the BLM movement? They're getting together to TALK about the terrorism of the BLM protesters. Terrorism you ask? What's that all about? Let me add this to the conversation:

At a number of campuses across Missouri BLM protesters sought out and vandalized the cars of white students. They weren't the cars of racist white students. The vandalized cars belonged to random college students who happened to be white. If the BLM protesters saw a white student park their car in a university lot, they'd wait until the student went inside. And then they'd vandalize it. A freshman student from my hometown had BLM protesters break the window to get into her car, break off the knobs and plastic parts from inside the car, steal the battery, pour something into the engine that damaged the engine, and steal stuff out of the trunk. They basically ruined her car. She's working her way through college and can't afford a new car. And she wasn't the only one who had her car damaged. She told me that dozens of cars parked in the university lots at this Missouri University got damaged in the same way by BLM protesters. (fyi, It wasn't Mizzou.) I'm not sure that I would label the car vandalism as terrorism. But it was certainly criminal behavior. And oddly, the media didn't report anything at all about it. Not even a little blurb in the local paper or the school newspaper.

btw, That college student whose car was vandalized is a liberal democrat active in campus politics. She was very sympathetic to the BLM movement. That is, until they destroyed her car. She's not so sympathetic now.

Should be easy to locate when they do form the "White" student union: just look for the swastika on the front of the building...

What if the white college freshman who had her car destroyed (along with dozens of others) wants to discuss how to avoid problems like this in the future? Does that make her a Nazi?

Should be easy to locate when they do form the "White" student union: just look for the swastika on the front of the building...

Does that mean we should just look for the Blood and Crips sign on the front of the Black Student Union? Or maybe Black Panthers? Broad sweeping comments like these are absolutely asinine and add nothing to the conversation.

Edit: btw, I think the white student union is a dumb idea. It's pretty pointless and is essentially playing with fire. Underrepresented individuals will take it as a sign of mockery and will not be provide any benefits for anyone.

• Fire 1

Does that mean we should just look for the Blood and Crips sign on the front of the Black Student Union? Or maybe Black Panthers? Broad sweeping comments like these are absolutely asinine and add nothing to the conversation.

Edit: btw, I think the white student union is a dumb idea. It's pretty pointless and is essentially playing with fire. Underrepresented individuals will take it as a sign of mockery and will not be provide any benefits for anyone.

Do they have racially segregated student unions these days? I'm really outta touch with college campuses. I tell ya what, being a child of the 60s, I thought we left most of this overt racist stuff behind back then, but it seems to all be rearing it's ugly head again, in the US and Europe as well.

Speaking of the Black Panthers, a buddy of mine told me they have established a presence in an adjacent medium in downstate NY. Community service, self defense, 2nd Amendment organization, of course.

Your agenda has been clear for some time now so this isn't surprising. But how is a group of white students forming a student union any different than a group of black students forming a union. Who's really the racist anymore? I really don't care if anyone likes that, it's getting old with one group being more important than another and people telling me I'm racist because I'm white and I'm supposed to have this "white privilege" everyone talks about. Still waiting for it to come around and hand me everything I'm "supposed" to have because I'm white. Still have to work my ass for everything I've gotten in life, no one has handed me anything despite what some groups think.

What's my "agenda"? Please elaborate, I'm very happy to listen. If you don't agree with me in some way or another, is that "my agenda"?

Most people in general do have to work for what they get, but when a certain group has built up and established social/economic dominance over the course of centuries, it has definite advantages for members of that group. For exapmle, some of my family are farmers and farming has been in their trade for many generations, the business, equipment, etc, handed down from son to son. You know what, I'm 50 something and I can't say as I've seen any black farmers, or blacks in general in rural areas, at least in the US Northern states. Just one small example. And perhaps you could name one US economic institution--banks, insurance, judicial system, etc--that is controlled/owned by blacks? Don't bother, there aren't any, well, with the exception of some hisrorically black colleges. I guess MJ owned the Hornets for a time, but that's hardly an institutional event. Here's one for you, Google the topic of "Red Lining", a practice ongoing to this day, though I don't think they call it that anymore.

As to the idea of segregated student unions, well, you know what, I don't think it's the greatest idea in the world, but I don't see any reason why people shouldn't be allowed to segregate themselves in private organizations if that's what they want.. I guess if it's public, well, there are supposed to be laws that prevent segregation in public areas or establishments serving the public. I suppose said laws could rolled back into oblivion, though, it's been done before.

Your agenda has been clear for some time now so this isn't surprising. But how is a group of white students forming a student union any different than a group of black students forming a union. Who's really the racist anymore? I really don't care if anyone likes that, it's getting old with one group being more important than another and people telling me I'm racist because I'm white and I'm supposed to have this "white privilege" everyone talks about. Still waiting for it to come around and hand me everything I'm "supposed" to have because I'm white. Still have to work my ass for everything I've gotten in life, no one has handed me anything despite what some groups think.

What's my "agenda"? Please elaborate, I'm very happy to listen. If you don't agree with me, is that "my agenda"?

Most people in general do have to work for what they get, but when a certain group has built up and established social/economic dominance over the course of centuries, it has definite advantages for members of that group.

As to the idea of segregated student unions, well, you know what, I don't think it's the greatest idea in the world, but I don't see any reason why people shouldn't be allowed to segregate themselves in such private organizations. I guess if it's public, well, there are supposed to be laws that prevent segregation in public areas or establishments serving the public. I suppose said laws could rolled back into oblivion, though, it's been done before.

I don't think the idea is a good one either, you've been pushing a racism agenda IMO for awhile now and a lot of it is pretty far out there also IMO. This country is taking a huge step back as far as racism is concerned and the racial divide seems to be larger than ever which is sad. Who's helped push that divide? Depends on what your POV is I suppose. I grew up in a rough area, with plenty of "minorities" They chose to make nothing of their lives, I chose to do something with mine, they chose to use their "color" as an excuse as to why things ended up the way they did, I chose not to hear excuses. That was a choice, not a right that I had being white, no one said, "oh, you're white, take that path!" I'm tired of being told I should basically feel bad for being white. I hate racism, I hate one group being treated better than another, I hate how offended this country has become over everything it seems. There are several who won't agree with me, that's fine, I'm sure I've tried to talk with you about other things where you wouldn't change your mind and I won't change mine in this case either.

• Fire 6

What's my "agenda"? Please elaborate, I'm very happy to listen. If you don't agree with me, is that "my agenda"?

Most people in general do have to work for what they get, but when a certain group has built up and established social/economic dominance over the course of centuries, it has definite advantages for members of that group.

As to the idea of segregated student unions, well, you know what, I don't think it's the greatest idea in the world, but I don't see any reason why people shouldn't be allowed to segregate themselves in such private organizations. I guess if it's public, well, there are supposed to be laws that prevent segregation in public areas or establishments serving the public. I suppose said laws could rolled back into oblivion, though, it's been done before.

I don't think the idea is a good one either, you've been pushing a racism agenda IMO for awhile now and a lot of it is pretty far out there also IMO. This country is taking a huge step back as far as racism is concerned and the racial divide seems to be larger than ever which is sad. Who's helped push that divide? Depends on what your POV is I suppose. I grew up in a rough area, with plenty of "minorities" They chose to make nothing of their lives, I chose to do something with mine, they chose to use their "color" as an excuse as to why things ended up the way they did, I chose not to hear excuses. That was a choice, not a right that I had being white, no one said, "oh, you're white, take that path!" I'm tired of being told I should basically feel bad for being white. I hate racism, I hate one group being treated better than another, I hate how offended this country has become over everything it seems. There are several who won't agree with me, that's fine, I'm sure I've tried to talk with you about other things where you wouldn't change your mind and I won't change mine in this case either.

I'm not "pushing racism". I'm just elaborating on what already exists, institutionally. I agree, there can be--often is--an attitude of victimhood in the "hood" and I also observe black communities have been doing everything in their power to combat that tendency over the decades. But I get back to my point that I added to my above post(plz reread): blacks don't have much if anything in the way of control of institutions in this country, so it makes everything that much harder, even for the "successful" ones, who often still have to be on their guard re: police brutality, move up the ladder and what not. If you are black, it is still very much harder to get a business or home lone, for e.g., in this country.

Well, we could go on, but the subject is well worn at this point.

What if the white college freshman who had her car destroyed (along with dozens of others) wants to discuss how to avoid problems like this in the future? Does that make her a Nazi?

Well, I think the counter argument to this would be what someone posted up above. White people are typically over-represented in positive aspects of society and underrepresented in the negative ones. As such, if a white student had her car destroyed, she already has outlets she can go to in order to make herself feel comfortable. If a black student was the target of an obvious racial attack they may not feel the same way.

"White" only groups or "white" only student unions are inherently seen as racist and exclusive, where as black only equivalents would be seen as a place for black people to feel safe and understood.

On paper, is it fair? Absolutely not. However, it would be unjust for anyone to suggest that all races have equivalence in this country. (Not that you're suggesting this, of course. Just speaking in general terms.) Affirmative action, race-specific groups... they're like moss cultures. Society created the injustices that allowed the problems to expand and grow, which means the parts of society that felt slanted took steps to gain better footing.

• Fire 1