Iowa D vs. Nebraska O

Caven

Passing:

It seems to me the last couple of weeks that the Iowa D-line has been playing more of a contain pass rush. This causes them to get to the QB a lot slower but keeps a mobile QB from breaking a big one through a busted lane assignment. I know Nebraska has receivers that can create an opening for the QB to get them the ball but I am not sure if TA is accurate enough to consistently get the ball in there and drive the entire field with short passes.

Rushing:

We have been very streaky lately. We let a RB break a couple of 8-10 yard plays - but then we shut down the run completely for a few plays. I think the D is being very aggressive with their run defense right now and is willing to give up the occasional first down on first down in exchange for setting up 2nd and 3rd and long situations. We have been pretty solid about not giving up the really big plays until the end of the game when we are in the prevent yourself from winning defense.

Does Nebraska have the patience to dink and dunk their way down the field and can TA make the crucial 3rd and 5-8 pickups that will be necessary to keep the drives alive?

• Fire 1

Huskers will have to "dink and dunk" successfully if they want to win this game. I believe NU has a better receiver corps for the passing game, but weather may preclude much of that for both teams.

Iowa has made their year on "dink and dunk", especially with a diversified run game. Stuff the run, and keep the ball out of Kreiger Coble's hands on defense, and away from Desmond King while NU has the ball, and the Huskers can win this going away.

The Hawkeye fans are starting to question the integrity of their defense. TA and company need to take care of business quickly and routinely in the first half. DO NOT trade scores up and down the field. Iowa has a much better history of

taking advantage of turn overs. NU, not so much. Keep the damn ball to themselves and simply score, score, score, repeat.

DO NOT let the Squawkeyes hang around until the fourth quarter.

GBR !

I believe the Huskers have everything in their team to win this game. Will they do it? Hmmmm....I'm predicting a win but not going to be surprised with a loss. The game is a toss up for me.

Personally, I think if Iowa over commits to stop the run, this may be a big mistake. TA is accurate enough and our WRs are good enough to beat Iowa if they try to play us one on one man to man.

It will be interesting to see if they try to contain TA if they can. He has to be extremely frustrating for D linemen trying to sack him. The second it seems like they have him, he does his little spin move and gets out of it....many times to make a nice play.

Yes, he needs to keep the INTs down. That is a must. I personally think if we have 2 or fewer INTS, we have a very very good chance at winning this game.

I am absolutely so pumped up for this game. For the last X number of years, this is the type of game this team goes and lays a huge egg. People start saying good things about them, get into a big game where they can prove something and......blaaaaa....

I think this team is changing in that aspect. At least, I hope they are. We very well may lose this game. But, I have a feeling it won't be in a blow out and we will be in the game till the end.

Passing:

It seems to me the last couple of weeks that the Iowa D-line has been playing more of a contain pass rush. This causes them to get to the QB a lot slower but keeps a mobile QB from breaking a big one through a busted lane assignment. I know Nebraska has receivers that can create an opening for the QB to get them the ball but I am not sure if TA is accurate enough to consistently get the ball in there and drive the entire field with short passes.

--clip--

Does Nebraska have the patience to dink and dunk their way down the field and can TA make the crucial 3rd and 5-8 pickups that will be necessary to keep the drives alive?

If their pass rush is really contain oriented as you said, dink and dunk would not be the answer. It's also the worst passing approach for TA. I'm not expecting to see any more of it than we've seen in any other game.

Huskers will have to "dink and dunk" successfully if they want to win this game. I believe NU has a better receiver corps for the passing game, but weather may preclude much of that for both teams.

I'm not really sure that's their game. The offense is at its most dangerous when Tommy can get out of the pocket and launch passes deep downfield to a pretty feisty group of receivers. However, the danger there has been a bit of a double-edged sword, too...

On the other side, we're going to see if the defense can stand up to a vaunted Hawkeyes ground game without getting killed through the air for trying (which has kind of been the theme).

I think NU can win, but I'm not very bullish on our chances. Mistake-free football hasn't exactly been the calling card this year; quite the contrary...

• Fire 2

Our D will need to contain their TE in the middle of the field and in crossing routes. An achilles week under Bo and Banker to date.

Our success on O will depend ultimately on the play calling of Langs. If the plan is to "dink and dunk" down the field, we lose. TA is not a QB who can successfully and repeatedly make those throws without throwing some INT's. Iowa has feasted on TO"s..... I would grind the clock and lean on the run game. Concerns me when Riley said he was unsure how to use Cross and Newby now Newby is healthy. I do. Run the legs off Cross and Jano in 2 back sets...... Run play action to open up the passing game and get the safeties out of the box. Run some toss sweeps to widen out their LB's and then attack the middle.

As Elliot said after the OSU/MSU, coaches didn't put us in a position to win. Same with this. Langs calls a game that is more predicated on establishing a power run game we win. Tries to go "air raid" we lose.

Agree with lo country.

Additionally, let the run set up some deep routes ... and do enough deep throws to keep the secondary off of the run. The "dink and dunk" throws put us in a negative and to TA's weaknesses. Let TA use his legs as a run threat and roll him out to pass. Minimize his weaknesses and mistakes and this becomes a winnable game as we focus on the run.

As Elliot said after the OSU/MSU, coaches didn't put us in a position to win. Same with this. Langs calls a game that is more predicated on establishing a power run game we win. Tries to go "air raid" we lose.

This right here...all season long.

It's the B1G, folks--it may not be sexy, but you need a power running game established to compliment whatever scheme you run--to move the chains, to burn clock, and to compensate for when the weather turns to s**t.

Iowa's defense is a little nicked up and a little worn down. I think they run a lot of Cross at them and then throw the play action. I see Carter having a good day similar to Rutgers. I think they may have found the formula to move the ball for the rest of the season. TA needs to make good choices and not throw a ton of picks. I think they are defintily in the game if he keeps the picks to 1 or less.

Defensively the key is slowing down their run game. I don't think you can completely shut it down. Don't look for a 70 yard rushing day by Iowa. It won't happen most likely. Hold them to about 140 and that will be a really good day. They just need to play physical and tackle well and they will be ok.

Our D being a little worn down is my biggest concern for us. They have about doubled what they allow the other team to do in the past couple of weeks. I think our gameplan will be to stop the run and make TA beat us with his arm and I think we might have just enough left in the tank to do it. If not then it will be a long day and will come down to whether our offense can outscore yours. Heck - if TA is having a good game then even if we take away the run it will come down to our O as well.

I know that Nebraska has had some major pass defense problems this year. It seemed much better in the last game - but that was against Rutgers. I am really curious to see if Iowa comes out trying to establish the run like we usually do or if we come out and immediately test the secondary.