No charges after assault allegation tied to Huskers' home

Lincoln Police Chief Jim Peschong and Lancaster County Attorney Joe Kelly said Wednesday the evidence didn't support filing charges.

Well that's a relief. I wonder if we'll ever know the real story?

I would say it's unlikely unless FOIA applies and someone files for the records.

Lincoln Police Chief Jim Peschong and Lancaster County Attorney Joe Kelly said Wednesday the evidence didn't support filing charges.

I would say it's unlikely unless FOIA applies and someone files for the records.

I'll have to double check with a colleague of mine but I'm pretty sure this information is not accessible under FOIA, even with no charges being filed. And if it is, police could easily get a judge to order the case files be closed in order to protect victim identities and the people involved.

Edit - I just saw online the Jameis Winston rape case file was disclosed to the media at some point. So, I guess it could be possible.

I'll have to double check with a colleague of mine but I'm pretty sure this information is not accessible under FOIA, even with no charges being filed. And if it is, police could easily get a judge to order the case files be closed in order to protect victim identities and the people involved.

Edit - I just saw online the Jameis Winston rape case file was disclosed to the media at some point. So, I guess it could be possible.

That case went way further though.

Hey we worry about our team, all of us do.

There are most likely some dirt bags on the team, but the ones mentioned, have been pretty upstanding young men. I tend to give that type of kid/person the benefit of the doubt.

I hope this takes some of the pressure off the team, and they play their best game of the year Friday.

That case went way further though.

From an investigative standpoint, it would appears so. But, did it from a legal standpoint? I don't think charges were filed against Winston, so in that regard, the cases are similar.

I'm only playing Devil's Advocate a bit simply because I don't remember a lot of the details surrounding Winston. If charges weren't filed in both cases maybe you can file a FOIA and access it.

So I did check with a colleague of mine and he said that the police's investigation report is NOT public record since no one was charged or arrested. The police could choose to release information, but it would only be the details an officer would write into a probable cause affidavit. It wouldn't be the investigator's notes or fine details.

Is there a possible title ix investigation by the school even if there are no charges?

They are still required to investigate and are currently doing so

We shall see how well it is handled then. Some schools do a horrible job with these investigations and some police departments don't want to touch cases like this either. At least that is what I remember from the title ix session I had to take a couple months ago at the school I work at.

We shall see how well it is handled then. Some schools do a horrible job with these investigations and some police departments don't want to touch cases like this either. At least that is what I remember from the title ix session I had to take a couple months ago at the school I work at.

That's an interesting perspective. I hope that UNL does a good job here -- football issues totally aside. I'd expect them to, but this seems like such a recent thing for college administrations, and it's not all of them that handle it well.

This quote, if that's what was said, stood out to me. While that may be the standard for a criminal investigation, preponderance is all that is needed in a civil investigation. If there is justice that needs serving, I hope football convenience is the last thing on anybody's minds.