Not that it matters

cfullm1

Here is my assessment of this year and next.

Our defense was bad, some can be explained IE. Our LB core was thin to begin with and then injuries depleted them for most of the year. Our DB core improved over the year once Davies was replaced at cb, but they were just straight up horrible. They never looked like they knew what coverage they were supposed to be in and were constantly out of place. Our D line actually I felt was the most improved group on the entire team and ended up being pretty decent I thought. Not that it matters, but I think we need a better DC, Banker doesn't seem to be able to coach up these players and really was never a great system, whatever system it was that he was trying to put in place.

Offensively, we struggled to put touchdowns up and ended up with FG's instead. I put most of the blame on Armstrong. He improved a lot from last year, but he constantly made poor decisions (some times they worked), but he consistently threw off his back foot, rolled backwards 15 yards to avoid sacks and just has poor throwing mechanics, but he's the best we had. Our WR core I think is solid and if they all stick around for next year they could be the best core in the nation, IF big IF Armstrong is not throwing them the ball. For the first half of the year, I thought it was play calling (which some of it was), but as the year went on I felt it was due to TA and his lack of ability and poor decision making that put us in positions that we didn't need to be in. I mean I saw so many 3rd and shorts that I thought I was looking at myself in the mirror, and we could never convert any of them.

My hope for next year:

This 4 star QB we got will end up being a stud and we don't have to see TA again

We get a better DC and cut ties with Banker, I just think he's out of his league in the Big 10.

• Fire 3

Here is my assessment of this year and next.

Offensively, we struggled to put touchdowns up and ended up with FG's instead. I put most of the blame on Armstrong. He improved a lot from last year, but he constantly made poor decisions (some times they worked), but he consistently threw off his back foot, rolled backwards 15 yards to avoid sacks and just has poor throwing mechanics, but he's the best we had. Our WR core I think is solid and if they all stick around for next year they could be the best core in the nation, IF big IF Armstrong is not throwing them the ball. For the first half of the year, I thought it was play calling (which some of it was), but as the year went on I felt it was due to TA and his lack of ability and poor decision making that put us in positions that we didn't need to be in. I mean I saw so many 3rd and shorts that I thought I was looking at myself in the mirror, and we could never convert any of them.

My hope for next year:

This 4 star QB we got will end up being a stud and we don't have to see TA again

We get a better DC and cut ties with Banker, I just think he's out of his league in the Big 10.

The offense averaged 33 points per game that was inline with Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan State, and Michigan. All teams that are in the top of the league standings. The offense scored points and put up better numbers than i would have ever imagined this year. It was the stupid penalties in games that really cost the team which in turn would snowball on the team putting pressure on Armstrong causing poor play.

Everybody says the team started buying into this staffs program but the Pelini hangover has lingered all year with this team.

• Fire 1

Bankers Defense came around pretty well when he started getting healthy players back and a buyin from the players helped also. We will be much better next year. Our 2 worst corners will graduate which will help. Collins coming back would be huge.

Get another speed DE would help. IMO, had Gerry not been thrown out (penalty maybe, but not targeting IMO) and Iowa doesn't score on those 2 runs

D was one area that slowly and steadily improved. Not using the injury excuse as teams have them, but no depth, freshman and RSF at key positions is a recipe fr disaster. Again, see the above ref Gerry. Iowa went right at his backup immediately to the tune of 2 scores. I know, I know, but in my mind, Gerry stays in and no TA INT and we take away 21 points....

Bankers Defense came around pretty well when he started getting healthy players back and a buyin from the players helped also. We will be much better next year. Our 2 worst corners will graduate which will help. Collins coming back would be huge.

Get another speed DE would help. IMO, had Gerry not been thrown out (penalty maybe, but not targeting IMO) and Iowa doesn't score on those 2 runs

D was one area that slowly and steadily improved. Not using the injury excuse as teams have them, but no depth, freshman and RSF at key positions is a recipe fr disaster. Again, see the above ref Gerry. Iowa went right at his backup immediately to the tune of 2 scores. I know, I know, but in my mind, Gerry stays in and no TA INT and we take away 21 points....

That is a fact, Gerry would have been there to plug the hole. Tossing him hurt us badly.

As frustrating as Armstrong is to watch Im not sure I want to see a true freshman leading the team next year. I'd rather see Armstrong get his head out of his ass and grow up in the off season and have a solid senior year and then obrien starts as a rs freshman

So you want to go 5-7 again?

That is a fact, Gerry would have been there to plug the hole. Tossing him hurt us badly.

IMO, that more than anything cost us the game. He is a true leader back there. You don't lose a defensive captain and tackling leader and not feel it. BS call IMO. Penalty, perhaps, but didn't lead with crown or "launch" himself.

Agreed. This system demands DE that can apply pressure consistently. But, the D definitely came along. I think the experience the younger guys did get out of necessity will help down the road. Just have to get that stud DE somewhere!

IMO, that more than anything cost us the game. He is a true leader back there. You don't lose a defensive captain and tackling leader and not feel it. BS call IMO. Penalty, perhaps, but didn't lead with crown or "launch" himself.

Yeah. I dont see how you can review that play and think he targeted the head intentionally. It was unavoidable and refs should be able to distinguish that from actual intent. They are just so conditioned to reach for the flag on any big hit these days

Targeting isn't necessarily called on intent, but if the crown of the helmet is made and the fact he was a defenseless receiver also helped them make that call. I actually think they got the call right, it sucked to have him tossed but the call was the correct call. And ya they might not have had those 2 TD runs, but if TA doesn't make those really bad decisions and throw the INT's we win walking away.

• Fire 1

E Yeah. I dont see how you can review that play and think he targeted the head intentionally. It was unavoidable and refs should be able to distinguish that from actual intent. They are just so conditioned to reach for the flag on any big hit these days

i was certain he wouldn't be ejected BC it didn't even look like targeting to me, the offensive players body was losing altitude and the only reason there was helmet contact

Nebraska is 90th in total defense, coming up 8 yards shy of passing Old Dominion for 89th.

Iowa didn't get any more than 250 yards because they didn't need any more than 250 yards with the turnovers and defensive penalties don't count as productive yards.

If Nebraska can finish in the top 50% of FBS teams next year, I would count that as a big improvement.

E Yeah. I dont see how you can review that play and think he targeted the head intentionally. It was unavoidable and refs should be able to distinguish that from actual intent. They are just so conditioned to reach for the flag on any big hit these days

i was certain he wouldn't be ejected BC it didn't even look like targeting to me, the offensive players body was losing altitude and the only reason there was helmet contact

Gerry even broke down and buckled his knees to avoid launching. IMO, very aware of the targeting rules and doing everything possible to avoid it.