Mark Richt fired after 9-3 season

GOAT

Even the ESPN and sports media guys are saying he'd be the perfect fit here.

Bull. Link please.

@ralphDrussoAP: Richt could also sit out a year and see what goes down at Nebraska. My goodness he'd be perfect there.

Not to mention we'd get Ekeler back

Even the ESPN and sports media guys are saying he'd be the perfect fit here.

Bull. Link please.

@ralphDrussoAP: Richt could also sit out a year and see what goes down at Nebraska. My goodness he'd be perfect there.

Not to mention we'd get Ekeler back

Would rather keep Bray.

Kirby Smart is also rumored to be in the hunt for the job.

So one person tweets that he'd be a good fit, with the possibility of his tweet being ironic, and suddenly we're supposed to take this seriously?

I love Mark Richt. Absolutely class act. But someone please tell me what he's accomplished in the last 8 years with elite top 10 recruiting and an easy division.

His last 3 years at Georgia are as underwhelming as Bo's last 3 years were here. He continuously got in his own way. He may be a good fit here, but is he really the guy to lead us back? Riley might not be either, but I just don't see that it ends up being Richt. Good coach, just not good enough.

Wonder how much $$$ (net worth) guys like Richt, Miles, Mack Brown, etc have saved up after long coaching stints making $2-$5 million a year? Miles could easily retire today right?

I saw somewhere Saban's estimated net worth (something like $7-$10 million) and I was surprised how low it was considering his salary & other booster "on-behalf" payments.

In January Mark Richt signed a two-year extension as Georgia's head coach that raised his annual salary to $4 million. It was a raise of $800,000 and approved by Georgia's athletic board.

There's only one problem. He never signed it.
But according to J. Reid Parker Director of Athletics Greg McGarity, it's a deal the university still plans to honor.
“Even though it hadn’t been executed, a deal’s a deal. A handshake, to me, is a signed agreement," McGarity said. "The contract that our board approved at the previous board meeting is in full effect and will certainly be honored. There are no issues there even though it’s not executed, and that’s the way it’s always been."
The fact that Georgia plans to honor the deal is good news for Richt. Had he been fired under the stipulations of his previous contract, his buyout would have been $1.6 million but under the new deal the buyout is much bigger at $4.1 million.

Link

Richt has about same record as Tom Osborne did over his first 15 years. Averaging almost 10 wins per year and he did win a couple champsionships and so on. His record is arguably better than Pelinis and as far as I know he has no off field issues and I presume he has no behavior problems on the field. But they want more. Also, I believe Georgia as a state has quite a few players and many are being recruited out to other top programs and that probably torques a few alums as well.

I think this indicates that winning coaches do get fired (arguably I would say Richt is more respected and appreciated as a coach than Pelini) so that ends the 'well, Nebraska fired a 9 win coach - they are nuts argument.

No, it really doesn't. Just because someone else does something stupid, is no justification for NU doing stupid. Twice.

In January Mark Richt signed a two-year extension as Georgia's head coach that raised his annual salary to $4 million. It was a raise of $800,000 and approved by Georgia's athletic board.

There's only one problem. He never signed it.
But according to J. Reid Parker Director of Athletics Greg McGarity, it's a deal the university still plans to honor.
“Even though it hadn’t been executed, a deal’s a deal. A handshake, to me, is a signed agreement," McGarity said. "The contract that our board approved at the previous board meeting is in full effect and will certainly be honored. There are no issues there even though it’s not executed, and that’s the way it’s always been."
The fact that Georgia plans to honor the deal is good news for Richt. Had he been fired under the stipulations of his previous contract, his buyout would have been $1.6 million but under the new deal the buyout is much bigger at $4.1 million.

Link

:facepalm: