Sipple: Coaches culpable in Armstrong's struggles

Link to the LJS Article

Notes from the article:

"I think there are some things we have to see a little better coveragewise and be safer with the ball," said Langsdorf, getting to the essence of what most coaches seek first in quarterbacks: decision-making ability and accuracy.

Armstrong needs work in both areas. That said, it's up to Langsdorf — as well as offensive-minded Nebraska head coach Mike Riley — to better recognize Armstrong's strengths and weaknesses and adjust accordingly. Or go a different direction.
If Armstrong is indeed lacking in critical areas — decision-making, ability to read coverages, anticipation ("throwing receivers open") and overall accuracy — then why continually ask him to throw 40-plus times, as he's done in four games this season, all losses?

This is something many of us have asked all season long--if you know you have a QB that can't handle the plays that are being called, why the heck are you calling them in the first place?

It's difficult to establish a strong run game without firm resolve. Daily resolve. In too many instances — such as when Nebraska calls for passes on third-and-3 in four-down territory — a lack of commitment is evident.

It still seems confusing to watch Nebraska throw 45 passes and run 38 times in 20-mph wind and 12-degree weather (factoring wind chill), especially with a quarterback who had thrown seven interceptions in his previous three outings.
Remember the offseason, when the Husker coaches said repeatedly they would structure the offense according to personnel on hand? Assuming they've genuinely committed to that mindset with Armstrong, they've done so with mixed results. (emphasis mine)

Perhaps the local media was being kind in waiting until the end of the regular season, to give Riley, Langsdorf, et al, the benefit of the doubt. But it's evident they're seeing what many folks have pointed out here, usually during gameday threads--that Riley and Langsdorf really did not do what was sold to the 'Husker fans at the beginning of the season in this regard...or worse yet, they did set out to do this, and failed in their attempt to do so.

I think between Sipple's column and McKeown's article in the aftermath of the Iowa debacle, it's evident that the grace period for Riley and company (for whatever grace period was given) is now over, and the local pundits are seeing what many folks have been complaining about for some time--that Langsdorf isn't putting these kids in a position to win with his playcalling and coaching.

I guess the honeymoon is over?

• Fire 1

Link to the LJS Article

Notes from the article:

"I think there are some things we have to see a little better coveragewise and be safer with the ball," said Langsdorf, getting to the essence of what most coaches seek first in quarterbacks: decision-making ability and accuracy.

Armstrong needs work in both areas. That said, it's up to Langsdorf — as well as offensive-minded Nebraska head coach Mike Riley — to better recognize Armstrong's strengths and weaknesses and adjust accordingly. Or go a different direction.
If Armstrong is indeed lacking in critical areas — decision-making, ability to read coverages, anticipation ("throwing receivers open") and overall accuracy — then why continually ask him to throw 40-plus times, as he's done in four games this season, all losses?

This is something many of us have asked all season long--if you know you have a QB that can't handle the plays that are being called, why the heck are you calling them in the first place?

It's difficult to establish a strong run game without firm resolve. Daily resolve. In too many instances — such as when Nebraska calls for passes on third-and-3 in four-down territory — a lack of commitment is evident.

It still seems confusing to watch Nebraska throw 45 passes and run 38 times in 20-mph wind and 12-degree weather (factoring wind chill), especially with a quarterback who had thrown seven interceptions in his previous three outings.
Remember the offseason, when the Husker coaches said repeatedly they would structure the offense according to personnel on hand? Assuming they've genuinely committed to that mindset with Armstrong, they've done so with mixed results. (emphasis mine)

Perhaps the local media was being kind in waiting until the end of the regular season, to give Riley, Langsdorf, et al, the benefit of the doubt, but it's evident they're seeing what many folks have pointed out here, usually during gameday threads--that Riley and Langsdorf really did not do what was sold to the 'Husker fans at the beginning of the season in this regard...or worse yet, they did set out to do this, and failed in their attempt to do so.

I think between Sipple's column and McKeown's article in the aftermath of the Iowa debacle, it's evident that the grace period for Riley and company (for whatever grace period was given) is now over, and the local pundits are seeing what many folks have been complaining about for some time--that Langsdorf isn't putting these kids in a position to win with his playcalling and coaching.

"Iowa debacle" ? That's a big stretch. We came within 8 points of a top 5 ranked team. That's a bit of a stretch. Almost no realistic person would suggest that Nebraska has top 5 or even top 15 talent. Surely you would not argue that we do? As a result, playing them to a single possession game, despite 4 turnovers and gaining a bunch more yards and holding them to a handful of successful plays/drives is really doing great in my book. Hardly a debacle?

We can argue that Tommy A is not a passing QB despite being forced into that role by Pelini/Beck and now Riley. But frankly, Tommy is not exactly Eric Crouch or Jamal Lord as a runner either. We have seen so little of true option running plays over his three seasons that it is hard to really argue Tommy is a great option/running QB as well. At this point, we have many questioning Tommy's defense reading and other skills. We know he doesn't audible much as presumably either the coaches don't want him to or he is not adept at it. The question becomes - what is Tommy really good at doing as a QB in any system or scheme or situation. I believe his best well demonstrated skills are avoiding the pass rush to buy time to throw and throwing the ball 20 to 40 yards down field. He has a strong arm and at times completes a good percentage of his throws. Other times he throws way off the mark into almost any coverage situation.

• Fire 2

I agree with the intent of McKeown's article. DL and TA are the two most responsible for this year's record, both the good and bad. I guess by default, I'd have to include Riley for allowing it.

I think that's a huge issue for Riley. He wants to not micromanage and let his staff do their thing, but it's like he just let's them do whatever they want and he has no input at all.

I agree with the intent of McKeown's article. DL and TA are the two most responsible for this year's record, both the good and bad. I guess by default, I'd have to include Riley for allowing it.

I think that's a huge issue for Riley. He wants to not micromanage and let his staff do their thing, but it's like he just let's them do whatever they want and he has no input at all.

Agreed. There does seem to be an interesting dynamic in play there.

Link to the LJS Article

Notes from the article:

Perhaps the local media was being kind in waiting until the end of the regular season, to give Riley, Langsdorf, et al, the benefit of the doubt, but it's evident they're seeing what many folks have pointed out here, usually during gameday threads--that Riley and Langsdorf really did not do what was sold to the 'Husker fans at the beginning of the season in this regard...or worse yet, they did set out to do this, and failed in their attempt to do so.

"Iowa debacle" ? That's a big stretch. We came within 8 points of a top 5 ranked team. That's a bit of a stretch. Almost no realistic person would suggest that Nebraska has top 5 or even top 15 talent. Surely you would not argue that we do? As a result, playing them to a single possession game, despite 4 turnovers and gaining a bunch more yards and holding them to a handful of successful plays/drives is really doing great in my book.

I think we definitely have the talent on our roster that Iowa has. They don't have top 5 talent, they just play smarter than we do. The fact we gave the ball away so much and stayed within a score shows that we certainly have the athletes to compete. If we cleaned up our act we win that game running away, that is why it was a debacle. 21 of their points came from three boneheaded plays.

Iowa is 12-0 mainly because they play smart disciplined football.

Nebraska is 5-7 because they do not.

• Fire 7

Almost no realistic person would suggest that Nebraska has top 5 or even top 15 talent.

Ahhh, talent... eyeswear2allthatsholy

I think we definitely have the talent on our roster that Iowa has. They don't have top 5 talent, they just play smarter than we do.

So they have "smart talent" perhaps? Possibly 5 star smart talent across the board?... :lol:

Almost no realistic person would suggest that Nebraska has top 5 or even top 15 talent.

I think we definitely have the talent on our roster that Iowa has. They don't have top 5 talent, they just play smarter than we do.

So they have "smart talent" perhaps? Possibly 5 star smart talent across the board?... :lol:

yes, talent. Skill. Ability. Capacity. Athleticism. Physical and mental capability to perform a feat or series of them.

Some football players are indeed better than others. No matter how many days, weeks, months, years I would practice or be coached by John Wooden himself, I could not become good enough to earn a scholarship to play D-1 men's basketball (even in Lincoln where the trophy case has not been built yet) because I am 5'-7" and while I could actually dunk when I was a junior in H.S., I am now 57 years old and simply don't have the talent to make the team and contribute anything more than turnovers, fouls and other inept plays.

Should Iowa win the Big Ten title and then magically win the mythical national title by defeating their two opponents in the following playoff games, I would submit that Iowa will be the least talented national champions in the memory of almost every member of this board.

Almost no realistic person would suggest that Nebraska has top 5 or even top 15[/size] talent[/size]. [/size]

yes, talent. Skill. Ability. Capacity. Athleticism. Physical and mental capability to perform a feat or series of them.

Some football players are indeed better than others. No matter how many days, weeks, months, years I would practice or be coached by John Wooden himself, I could not become good enough to earn a scholarship to play D-1 men's basketball (even in Lincoln where the trophy case has not been built yet) because I am 5'-7" and while I could actually dunk when I was a junior in H.S., I am now 57 years old and simply don't have the talent to make the team and contribute anything more than turnovers, fouls and other inept plays.

Should Iowa win the Big Ten title and then magically win the mythical national title by defeating their two opponents in the following playoff games, I would submit that Iowa will be the least talented national champions in the memory of almost every member of this board.

You are wasting your time with this one.

Iowa is 12-0 mainly because they play smart disciplined football.

Nebraska is 5-7 because they do not.

Key word right there. These are still Bo's players, and I have yet to see if any of the players brought in by the new staff have discipline.

Yea, it's not as if these things haven't plagued Riley teams before.

Oh wait...

• Fire 1

This sums it up perfectly. Langsdorf doesn't have this. Not sure if he wants to.

I assume the plays below is the possession Sipple was referring to. Lots of talk about the fourth down call (and rightfully so), but this is more telling to me. Shows trying to blame TA is just trying to pass the buck - not that he doesn't deserve criticism but the coaches aren't managing the situation with any success.

Iowa had just scored to go up 14-7 in the second quarter. Here's what we did:

NEBRASKA drive start at 06:38.
1-10 NEB 25 Newby, Terrell rush up middle for 1 yard to the NEB26 (Bower, Bo).
2-9 NEB 26 Armstrong Jr. pass complete to Reilly, Brandon for 10 yards to the NEB36, 1ST DOWN NEB, out-of-bounds (King, Desmond).
1-10 NEB 36 Armstrong Jr. rush over right end for 3 yards to the NEB39, out-of-bounds.
2-7 NEB 39 Newby, Terrell rush up middle for 12 yards to the IOWA49, 1ST DOWN NEB (Lomax, Jordan).
1-10 Iowa 49 Armstrong Jr. pass complete to Turner, Jamal for 7 yards to the IOWA42 (Jewell, Josey).
2-3 Iowa 42 Armstrong Jr. pass incomplete to Hovey, Lane.
3-3 Iowa 42 Armstrong Jr. pass incomplete, QB hurry by Meier, Nate.
4-3 Iowa 42 Armstrong Jr. pass complete to Newby, Terrell for loss of 1 yard to the IOWA43 (Jewell, Josey).
I told the guy sitting next to me I couldn't believe we threw it twice after having second and three. Then we went for it on fourth down and threw it again.
Langsdorf likes to call pass plays. He's showed this over an over. He doesn't have the resolve to stick with the run game over any significant length of time.
  • Fire 3