Johnny Stanton

I saw a comment about Johnny Stanton doing well at JUCO this year on another board, so I thought I would post it here. I am not saying he didn't get a fair chance at NU, but I am happy that he is prospering at Saddleback College in California. He left NU in a classy manner.

http://saddlebackgauchos.com/sports/fball/2015-16/players/johnnystantonshn3?view=gamelog

http://247sports.com/Player/Johnny-Stanton-12730

He also got an offer from UNLV over the weekend. Our old friend, Barney, is the OC at UNLV. I think Stanton's dual-threat abilities could do well in a spread style system that utilizes the QB run game.

• Fire 2

Just for fun I googled him to try to find footage of him playing for Saddleback. The very first play was a half back screen, literally the exact same play we like to run here in Riley's own offense, and Stanton ran it to perfection. Looked right to look off the defense then looked left and floated it right over the defensive end with the ball floating safetly to the rb, who proceeded to get the first down and more. Kind of ironic.

Just for fun I googled him to try to find footage of him playing for Saddleback. The very first play was a half back screen, literally the exact same play we like to run here in Riley's own offense, and Stanton ran it to perfection. Looked right to look off the defense then looked left and floated it right over the defensive end with the ball floating safetly to the rb, who proceeded to get the first down and more. Kind of ironic.

Not ironic, infuriating. At the very least had we cohearsed him into staying, he would have had a chance to progress up the BS depth chart they gave us after spring. Had he done so, like I think he was capable of doing, he could have pushed Tommy to better himself. Conpetition breeds success and Fyfe was not competition. Say what you will about him, we could have used an extra arm here this season.

So what explains his terrible performance in the spring game/practice? I was a big JS supporter and was shocked by his play. Maybe better coaching at the Juco level?

Who is the coach there? :dunno Bring him here!! :ahhhhhhhh

Honestly, I think he's finally getting a lot of reps. He even struggled the first 2 games this year at JUCO, but has turned it on the last half of the year.

Remember, he missed most of his senior year in high school, and then was buried in the depth chart at NU.

It will be interesting to see if he gets a shot to earn a FBS level starting QB job.

Not ironic, infuriating. At the very least had we cohearsed him into staying, he would have had a chance to progress up the BS depth chart they gave us after spring. Had he done so, like I think he was capable of doing, he could have pushed Tommy to better himself. Conpetition breeds success and Fyfe was not competition. Say what you will about him, we could have used an extra arm here this season.
Totally agree. When I say ironic I meant so in the most sarcastic connotation possible (it's incredibly hard to read emotion from text so I wasn't expecting anyone to gather that), but I feel like the reason why he did so bad in the spring game was from the fact that he had no motivation to do well and probably had a pretty good idea that he was going to transfer somewhere else anyways.

It's great. Stanton was a very fun recruit to follow and I really am very glad he is doing so well there. He has plenty of skills in my estimation, but he was just pretty far off track here and couldn't get back on. He's at a JUCO so he's got another shot to return to the big leagues and I hope he crushes it.

• Fire 1

Well you take an Elite 11 QB, get him to campus, have his coach fired, new guy recruited him, new guy says "You are #5 behind a walk on with a low ceiling and a guy who can't physically play".

What the hell would his motivation be? That said I don't think it was motivation holding him back. In the spring game, I personally thought he played better than Bush or Fyfe that day. I think had he gotten some meaningful reps with the 1st team he could have actually showed his capabilities.

• Fire 1

Well you take an Elite 11 QB, get him to campus, have his coach fired, new guy recruited him, new guy says "You are #5 behind a walk on with a low ceiling and a guy who can't physically play".

What the hell would his motivation be? That said I don't think it was motivation holding him back. In the spring game, I personally thought he played better than Bush or Fyfe that day. I think had he gotten some meaningful reps with the 1st team he could have actually showed his capabilities.

I think he just got caught in the numbers game that happens sometimes. I can imagine that there are very little reps for guys below #3 (or even #2) on the depth chart. I imagine that Riley and Langsdorf were so busy trying to install their own system, that they weren't able to get good looks at all the players in practice.

Stanton had a wide open opportunity in the 2014 offseason and was roundly expected to be in a fierce 2-man competition for the starting job. To say he didn't grab the reins then would be ... well, a massive understatement. He had another clean slate in '15, and ... couldn't crack the initial fall 105.

It happens, though. And sometimes a change of scenery is just what you need.

• Fire 3
  • Mavric changed the title to Johnny Stanton