Coaching search at UGA

lo country

Not Husker related, but interesting none the less as it relates to big time programs and their coaching search. This writer says that going after Kirby Smart is a poor move for UGA and that they can and should do much better if they want to get their edge back. Says it's an unambitious hire. WTH. Kirby is unambitious how would Riley rank?

I'd love Kirby at NU. I can't imagine this being a low hire. Goes onto to say this at the end. Makes me think of NU's hire and that SE wasn't really concerned about winning.

But if thats the way it ends up a quick and easy hire that carries tremendous risk well know Georgia sees itself less as a competitor to Alabama and more of a wannabe. And well have to wonder whether it was really Richt who lost control.

Rest of article here:

https://www.seccountry.com/georgia/national-columnist-thinks-georgia-lacks-ambition-if-it-hires-kirby-smart

• Fire 2

Not Husker related, but interesting none the less as it relates to big time programs and their coaching search. This writer says that going after Kirby Smart is a poor move for UGA and that they can and should do much better if they want to get their edge back. Says it's an unambitious hire. WTH. Kirby is unambitious how would Riley rank?

I'd love Kirby at NU. I can't imagine this being a low hire. Goes onto to say this at the end. Makes me think of NU's hire and that SE wasn't really concerned about winning.

But if thats the way it ends up a quick and easy hire that carries tremendous risk well know Georgia sees itself less as a competitor to Alabama and more of a wannabe. And well have to wonder whether it was really Richt who lost control.

Rest of article here:

https://www.seccountry.com/georgia/national-columnist-thinks-georgia-lacks-ambition-if-it-hires-kirby-smart

There's another forum for these type of posts -> http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/forum/159-other-sports/

• Fire 1

Rest of article here:

There's another forum for these type of posts -> http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/forum/159-other-sports/

Screw that bs. Thanks Lo.

These post's never get seen in the "other sports" you get way more discussion in when it's in the main forum. Besides I was thinking the other day when Moiraine got (on my case)* about the Herman topic...

Are you reading the other 30 topics that are listed on the front page of the husker forum, regularly posting in them? No, so who freaking cares. Move it after a while but damn, If I had posted that Herman article in the "other sports" forum, it doesn't get near the attention it's been getting. We got nothing else talk about anyway.

Edited by NUance
Changed this (*) to (on my case). Was not an appropriate thing to say. :/
  • Fire 3

Rest of article here:

These post's never get seen in the "other sports" you get way more discussion in when it's in the main forum. Besides I was thinking the other day when Moiraine got pissy about the Herman topic...

Are you reading the other 30 topics that are listed on the front page of the husker forum, regularly posting in them? No, so who freaking cares. Move it after a while but damn, If I had posted that Herman article in the "other sports" forum, it doesn't get near the attention it's been getting. We got nothing else talk about anyway.

Rules are rules. I'm thinking one of the mods will chuckle at your post. Anyway this could probably be merged with the Mark Richt thread over in Other Sports. Doesn't really belong on the main forum.

Rest of article here:

If Georgia hired a 60+ year old with no championship experience then the state would break out into riots. That said, obviously Kirby isn't a slam dunk ambitious hire like a Chip Kelly, Jimbo Fisher, etc. would have been but I highly doubt any of those coaches would've chosen to go to Georgia. Think about it, you know coming in the expectation is to win a conference championship and go to the playoffs right away. They wouldn't have fired Richt if that wasn't the case. But, when you're expected to win the conference every year in a league where you have to get by Nick Saban that's a pretty tall task. It's like being the next up and coming head coach in the NFL and deciding to take a job in the AFC East and compete against the Patriots...you're basically asking to be fired after 3 years.

Back to Kirby though, his hire is interesting because it's very similar to if we had hired Scott Frost this past offseason.

Rest of article here:

These post's never get seen in the "other sports" you get way more discussion in when it's in the main forum. Besides I was thinking the other day when Moiraine got pissy about the Herman topic...

Thanks.

I know its about UGA, but my point being, UGA goes after a hotshot coordinator and no one likes it. We get a .500 coach towards the end of a career and people still try tp spin it as a good hire........

There is a correlation in there expectations and potential hire and ours. UGA dreams we "want to won now" and ours screamed "we want the anti Bo-record be damned" IMO.

I also feel your Herman thread was good to go as it was discussing a huge rising star in the field who would be a great fit at NU. Also its now the off season until we get chosen for a bowl....

Rest of article here:

If Georgia hired a 60+ year old with no championship experience then the state would break out into riots. That said, obviously Kirby isn't a slam dunk ambitious hire like a Chip Kelly, Jimbo Fisher, etc. would have been but I highly doubt any of those coaches would've chosen to go to Georgia. Think about it, you know coming in the expectation is to win a conference championship and go to the playoffs right away. They wouldn't have fired Richt if that wasn't the case. But, when you're expected to win the conference every year in a league where you have to get by Nick Saban that's a pretty tall task. It's like being the next up and coming head coach in the NFL and deciding to take a job in the AFC East and compete against the Patriots...you're basically asking to be fired after 3 years.

Back to Kirby though, his hire is interesting because it's very similar to if we had hired Scott Frost this past offseason.

Yep!

SMH.....Husker fans are funny.

When Bo was here, I heard constantly how Nebraska should not be the training ground for new head coaches. Thst is, even though many top programs have been successful in hiring top coordinators as HC.

Now, we hire a previous head coach and some people are complaining that we weren't aggressive enough to get a guy like smart.

• Fire 1

When Bo was here, I heard constantly how Nebraska should not be the training ground for new head coaches. Thst is, even though many top programs have been successful in hiring top coordinators as HC.

Now, we hire a previous head coach and some people are complaining that we weren't aggressive enough to get a guy like smart.

I don't think it's the entire group all of a sudden switching narratives. The opinions are still split. I was all for the coordinator hiring and I still am. Like it or not. These people who think NU needs a guy with experience don't grasp coaching.

If we go back to the firing of Bo, and we have 2 candidates. Bob Davie and Scott Frost...who are you gunna choose?

Life is about taking chances. When you play it safe, generally you will have a pretty BLAND life.

• Fire 2

I don't think it's the entire group all of a sudden switching narratives. The opinions are still split. I was all for the coordinator hiring and I still am. Like it or not. These people who think NU needs a guy with experience don't grasp coaching.

If we go back to the firing of Bo, and we have 2 candidates. Bob Davie and Scott Frost...who are you gunna choose?

Life is about taking chances. When you play it safe, generally you will have a pretty BLAND life.

I agree. I never understood the thought of "well he doesn't have head coaching experience". What's the difference of a guy making mistakes due to being a first time head coach and a guy making the same mistakes he has had for 20 years in coaching? Well, for one, the new guy is more apt to use those mistakes as learning opportunities.

Sometimes, in order to hit a home run, you have to swing for the fences. Going for a coaching retread is going for a single up the middle.

• Fire 1

Epic fail by Georgia. They could have easily gotten someone who has been a HC before and had success (for example Mullen), but decided to gamble on a 1st time HC because he was an alum.

Kirby Smart has been all but a lock for Georgia's next coach for years now. South Carolina was interested in him for their opening, and UGA wasn't about to let that happen. It's interesting that you mention Mullen. He was "only" a highly successful, well thought of SEC coordinator prior to taking his current position. MSU failed so hard with that hire, right?