Defensive Line

Go look at Hughes' history recruiting. its laughable. Dude needs to go.

Also, anyone that has been coaching for 35 years and has never been anything more than a D-line coach sans a 2 year co-defensive coordinator role, probably lacks ambition. Must have the personality of a wall.

What level do you coach at....

Probably the same as you. Seeing as this is a message board, 95 percent of the posters are not involved in coaching and are just fans who want to see this team do well. If I was bashing a coach who had success this year or in general, I could see your comment having some merit. But since you are probably some division one coach, lets hear your actual insight. And next time use a question mark, those periods make you look like a junior high girl texting her bff.
Nope just a fan. You are bashing a coach that had success. Typically when you see a good run defense you think line and when you see a good pass defense you think DB's - now we know it takes both, however I would say that our run defense was pretty good this year compared to the guy that new how to defend against the run last year. It's not perfect however headed in the correct direction.
Headed in the right direction? After one year which had its ups and downs, it is tough to determine the direction of the defense and the d-line. How many sacks did the defensive line have? How much pressure did they get on the QB? Did defenses pass more than they ran against us due to our deficiencies in that area? It is too early to know, and people can easily use the "these are pelini's recruits" argument, but I am more concerned with recruiting, not on-field production. It's tough to stop the run when you don't have any big bodies.

It's about the Jimmies and the Joes. You can have the best system in place but if you don't have the players what are you supposed to do? The DE and OT position groups are laughable how is that Rileys fault?

It's all about how you look at things. Pelini's pass defense was much better with similar players. It comes down to perspective and we all have our opinions to go either way with it.

Bo used the safeties in pass def. & Banker uses them in run defense. Thus, this we are better in rush defense and worse in pass defense.

That's the popular version of the story but it's not true.

That is how we started the year. Banker switched it up starting with the Michigan St.

Also, anyone that has been coaching for 35 years and has never been anything more than a D-line coach sans a 2 year co-defensive coordinator role, probably lacks ambition. Must have the personality of a wall.

Probably the same as you. Seeing as this is a message board, 95 percent of the posters are not involved in coaching and are just fans who want to see this team do well. If I was bashing a coach who had success this year or in general, I could see your comment having some merit. But since you are probably some division one coach, lets hear your actual insight. And next time use a question mark, those periods make you look like a junior high girl texting her bff.
Nope just a fan. You are bashing a coach that had success. Typically when you see a good run defense you think line and when you see a good pass defense you think DB's - now we know it takes both, however I would say that our run defense was pretty good this year compared to the guy that new how to defend against the run last year. It's not perfect however headed in the correct direction.
Headed in the right direction? After one year which had its ups and downs, it is tough to determine the direction of the defense and the d-line. How many sacks did the defensive line have? How much pressure did they get on the QB? Did defenses pass more than they ran against us due to our deficiencies in that area? It is too early to know, and people can easily use the "these are pelini's recruits" argument, but I am more concerned with recruiting, not on-field production. It's tough to stop the run when you don't have any big bodies.

It's about the Jimmies and the Joes. You can have the best system in place but if you don't have the players what are you supposed to do? The DE and OT position groups are laughable how is that Rileys fault?

It's all about how you look at things. Pelini's pass defense was much better with similar players. It comes down to perspective and we all have our opinions to go either way with it.

Bo used the safeties in pass def. & Banker uses them in run defense. Thus, this we are better in rush defense and worse in pass defense.

That is how we started the year. Banker switched it up starting with the Michigan St.

It's patently false that Pelini didn't use the safeties in run defense.

I mean, he tried, but... wait, what was that? Oh, sorry, that was the sound of Stafford whiffing again.

I mean, he tried, but... wait, what was that? Oh, sorry, that was the sound of Stafford whiffing again.

Pelini's Safeties had an extremely difficult job. They had fits in the run game and they had to have help over the top. They were very involved in both run/pass. The toughest jobs in our old defense was Safeties and LB's. The 2 guys that could handle the LB job in Bo's system are both starting on Sundays. Compton and David. Same could be said for the Safeties.

• 3 weeks later...

+1

Goddamn was he bad