Current Ranking 2016 Class

True. It's going to get interesting.

We have a good chance of getting Fitzpatrick and Farmiok. If we do, those two alone will be, I think, our third and fifth highest rated recruits.

They'd be nice gets, but we need D-lineman. Good ones.

Sure we do. Not for next year but the future.

However that fact doesn't automatically make this class suck or mean the coaches are going a horrible job.

I will reserve final judgment on signing day, but if we are not able to finish in the top 20, then Riley and company have not met the expectations they were hired to do. Bo had many classes ranked outside the top 20 and into the early 30s, and Riley was supposed to really excel with recruiting.

Even if we land Butler, Jackson, Fitzpatrick, and Farniok, I don't see this class ending up in the top 20.

Where was it said that this was the expectation of the new staff. I believe the two main objectives were that Riley has done OK with OSU level recruits - he was sold as someone that does well with average talent and should be able to have better talent here (that is different then being a better recruiter). The second thing that most were sold on was that fact that he would not act like an idiot on the sideline and in the interview room.

He was hired to win Championships! Do you really believe that is going to happen without better recruits! they go hand in hand!!!!!

Agree and we ALL want the championships - did you plan on getting that Championship in year one or two. If so, you might want to tame down the expectations. We haven't been highly ranked in awhile and to get these championships we have to get past the defending National Champs and a potential NC for this year (just for the BIG Champtionship) - along with other current powerhouse teams in the playoffs for the NC.

Seems like if we could get into the top 25 next year and bump our recruiting up to a solid top 20 class and then try to improve both those numbers by 5 or 10 we would have a reason to start to talk about championships again on a yearly basis. As said before, I'm not "in" enough to know if Riley is the guy, however giving him more than a handful of months would be nice - maybe creating a little stability around here would be good!!!

No I didn't expect to win a championship in yr. one or yr. 2 but the recruiting has to improve Immediately. That is how we will win championships, that and coaching. Even if by some miracle the recruiting improves, it will take some time to see results. We can't afford to keep losing out on these recruits or it just becomes " well next yr.............then next yr.............. then.................. Well I think you get the message. We have been patient for a very loooooong time.

Recruiting has already improved - Riley saved Bo's 2015 class and added a few to it last year. This years class is averaging about 5 points higher per player on 247 composite. When you go after the top recruits you are going to loss out way more than winning. Most top recruits have 10 to 20 solid offers so you have a 5% to 10% chance to grab them - when you get to the final 3 you have done well, obviously the close is required for it to matter. The comment about being patient for a very looooooong time is confusing to me. You are either including Bo in that time which would make it a true statement, however Riley can't take credit for Bo's slow recruiting. I wish Bo would have gotten his dream job in the sec after year 2 when he thought he was the real deal. If you are only including Riley in the above comment (which I assume you aren't) then you are about as patient as when my kids were 2.

• Fire 1

We have a good chance of getting Fitzpatrick and Farmiok. If we do, those two alone will be, I think, our third and fifth highest rated recruits.

However that fact doesn't automatically make this class suck or mean the coaches are going a horrible job.

I will reserve final judgment on signing day, but if we are not able to finish in the top 20, then Riley and company have not met the expectations they were hired to do. Bo had many classes ranked outside the top 20 and into the early 30s, and Riley was supposed to really excel with recruiting.

Even if we land Butler, Jackson, Fitzpatrick, and Farniok, I don't see this class ending up in the top 20.

Where was it said that this was the expectation of the new staff. I believe the two main objectives were that Riley has done OK with OSU level recruits - he was sold as someone that does well with average talent and should be able to have better talent here (that is different then being a better recruiter). The second thing that most were sold on was that fact that he would not act like an idiot on the sideline and in the interview room.

Have you re-read what you just wrote? First off, he has performed worse with average talent than his predecessor (who I was not a fan of and am glad he was fired), and that was evident from this past season. We also were told numerous times that Riley was known to be the best recruiter in the Pac 12, but since he only was able to try to sell a Yugo, he could not achieve highly ranked recruiting classes, but with the tradition, facilities, and financial resources at NU, he would be able to make NU competitive again in the recruiting arena. I am excited about a few guys coming in, and am still holding hope we see a big turnaround in the final 45 days, but losing out on 3 big recruits that the staff invested a lot of time in is highly concerning.

Just looking at Rivals, Bo's 2011 class ranked #15 and his 2013 class ranked #17. When you average out the final 4 seasons, his average ranking was probably in the mid-20s. Thus, if we end up in the mid-20s or worse, I am seeing no signs of improvement. And if we can't get better talent than we had before, and we have seen that this staff cannot coach up average talent, what are we to hang out hats on?

First off - I didn't re-read what I wrote because I know what I wrote. How has he performed worse - did you watch the games or are you just going of the record. How many points did we loss by last year? How many blow out losses did we have?

Yes the record sucks, however most teams have close games. These games come down to one or two big plays - which are normally coin flips. Example: long pass in the end zone that looks like a 50/50 ball: it can get caught / tipped away / tipped intercepted..etc (coin flip). If you watched the games, we lost about every coin flip that could be lost. I guess we won at least one of these coin flips with MSU - I truly don't remember any others going our way (I'm sure there were - just not many).

Again, Riley's weapon was not his recruiting - it was doing well with what he had. This class is not done yet, so comparing it to 2011 #15 only tells a partial story. In 2011, Bo had 21 recruits w/ average 88. Last year Bo / Riley class had 29 recruits w/ average 82 (a lot of people gave Riley credit for holding the class together and adding some talent at the end). This year Riley has 15 recruits w/ average 87 - still time to go and is expected to have about 22/25 recruits by the end. This is clearly a bump up from last year and very similar to the cherry picked year that you selected in 2011. We are also looking like we are in on some talent in 2017 - who knows how that will go.

Now a few more wins next year should give NU some traction in several areas - recruiting being one of them. I'm not going to decide if it was the players or coaches or luck that caused us to be 5-7, however if you couldn't see that we very easily could have been 9-3 with zero blowouts, then I don't know how to help you....

We do need more talent to win BIG Championships and get our name in the playoff hat. Sometimes new coaches are splash hires and they get the bump right away with recruiting - other times the hire is somebody that is not at as splashy. Not always going to get the quick spike in recruiting, so give it an extra year or two. Patience is not a bad thing.

If you are happy with how this coaching staff performed in year 1, that says a lot to me right there. I think most realistic fans expected some growing pains, but not the kind we saw this past season. There is a reason that a team loses many close games, and you can't blame bad luck over and over. BYU was probably the only game where you can say it was bad luck, and even with that, our guys were out of position. Illinois and Purdue were games where we should have run the ball over, and over, and over to easily come away with wins, but instead the staff chose to throw the ball way too many times.

Also, Riley may not have gotten great recruiting classes at OSU, BUT we were told that with his great ability to identify talent, AND NU's faciities, tradition, and financial resources, that would translate into strong recruiting classes at NU. I have averaged NU's recruiting class rankings the past 5 seasons relative to the current 4 playoff teams and will post in another thread, but between 2011 and 2015, NU's average recruiting class ranking was right around 24 or 25. The best class in the past 5 seasons was 2013....which would be the class signed after going to the Big Ten championship game, and thus the correlation between a great season and a great class. Winning and getting positive press for a good season DOES improve recruiting regardless of what you think. If we simply end up with a class ranking of 23-25 like was averaged from the prior staff, that is not a sign of improvement. If this staff can finish strong and get us inside the top 20 when you look across Rivals, Scout, 247, etc..., then it will be an improvement.

NU has not sniffed the top 10 in how long? You are trying to compare our recruiting classes to the 4 playoff teams? Don't get the logic there - We can be a playoff team consistently, however I can't see it happening in the next 2 years. Let's crack the top 25 first. If you read some of my post especially in the thread about 5-7 records, it is obvious that I feel strongly about records having some impact on recruiting. If you base everything on win / loss record from 2015 then you might have missed some good signs.

That's like the guy that missed all 18 putts on the golf course and thinks the putter needs to go in the pond next to 18 green. What he forgot is that he hit the lip 6 times, miss read 6 of them and found a spike mark on the other 6.

He was hired to win Championships! Do you really believe that is going to happen without better recruits! they go hand in hand!!!!!

Agree and we ALL want the championships - did you plan on getting that Championship in year one or two. If so, you might want to tame down the expectations. We haven't been highly ranked in awhile and to get these championships we have to get past the defending National Champs and a potential NC for this year (just for the BIG Champtionship) - along with other current powerhouse teams in the playoffs for the NC.

Seems like if we could get into the top 25 next year and bump our recruiting up to a solid top 20 class and then try to improve both those numbers by 5 or 10 we would have a reason to start to talk about championships again on a yearly basis. As said before, I'm not "in" enough to know if Riley is the guy, however giving him more than a handful of months would be nice - maybe creating a little stability around here would be good!!!

No I didn't expect to win a championship in yr. one or yr. 2 but the recruiting has to improve Immediately. That is how we will win championships, that and coaching. Even if by some miracle the recruiting improves, it will take some time to see results. We can't afford to keep losing out on these recruits or it just becomes " well next yr.............then next yr.............. then.................. Well I think you get the message. We have been patient for a very loooooong time.

Recruiting has already improved - Riley saved Bo's 2015 class and added a few to it last year. This years class is averaging about 5 points higher per player on 247 composite. When you go after the top recruits you are going to loss out way more than winning. Most top recruits have 10 to 20 solid offers so you have a 5% to 10% chance to grab them - when you get to the final 3 you have done well, obviously the close is required for it to matter. The comment about being patient for a very looooooong time is confusing to me. You are either including Bo in that time which would make it a true statement, however Riley can't take credit for Bo's slow recruiting. I wish Bo would have gotten his dream job in the sec after year 2 when he thought he was the real deal. If you are only including Riley in the above comment (which I assume you aren't) then you are about as patient as when my kids were 2.

And yet two of the top four rated recruits in this class were committed to Bo.

Have you re-read what you just wrote? First off, he has performed worse with average talent than his predecessor (who I was not a fan of and am glad he was fired), and that was evident from this past season. We also were told numerous times that Riley was known to be the best recruiter in the Pac 12, but since he only was able to try to sell a Yugo, he could not achieve highly ranked recruiting classes, but with the tradition, facilities, and financial resources at NU, he would be able to make NU competitive again in the recruiting arena. I am excited about a few guys coming in, and am still holding hope we see a big turnaround in the final 45 days, but losing out on 3 big recruits that the staff invested a lot of time in is highly concerning.

Just looking at Rivals, Bo's 2011 class ranked #15 and his 2013 class ranked #17. When you average out the final 4 seasons, his average ranking was probably in the mid-20s. Thus, if we end up in the mid-20s or worse, I am seeing no signs of improvement. And if we can't get better talent than we had before, and we have seen that this staff cannot coach up average talent, what are we to hang out hats on?

First off - I didn't re-read what I wrote because I know what I wrote. How has he performed worse - did you watch the games or are you just going of the record. How many points did we loss by last year? How many blow out losses did we have?

Yes the record sucks, however most teams have close games. These games come down to one or two big plays - which are normally coin flips. Example: long pass in the end zone that looks like a 50/50 ball: it can get caught / tipped away / tipped intercepted..etc (coin flip). If you watched the games, we lost about every coin flip that could be lost. I guess we won at least one of these coin flips with MSU - I truly don't remember any others going our way (I'm sure there were - just not many).

Again, Riley's weapon was not his recruiting - it was doing well with what he had. This class is not done yet, so comparing it to 2011 #15 only tells a partial story. In 2011, Bo had 21 recruits w/ average 88. Last year Bo / Riley class had 29 recruits w/ average 82 (a lot of people gave Riley credit for holding the class together and adding some talent at the end). This year Riley has 15 recruits w/ average 87 - still time to go and is expected to have about 22/25 recruits by the end. This is clearly a bump up from last year and very similar to the cherry picked year that you selected in 2011. We are also looking like we are in on some talent in 2017 - who knows how that will go.

Now a few more wins next year should give NU some traction in several areas - recruiting being one of them. I'm not going to decide if it was the players or coaches or luck that caused us to be 5-7, however if you couldn't see that we very easily could have been 9-3 with zero blowouts, then I don't know how to help you....

We do need more talent to win BIG Championships and get our name in the playoff hat. Sometimes new coaches are splash hires and they get the bump right away with recruiting - other times the hire is somebody that is not at as splashy. Not always going to get the quick spike in recruiting, so give it an extra year or two. Patience is not a bad thing.

If you are happy with how this coaching staff performed in year 1, that says a lot to me right there. I think most realistic fans expected some growing pains, but not the kind we saw this past season. There is a reason that a team loses many close games, and you can't blame bad luck over and over. BYU was probably the only game where you can say it was bad luck, and even with that, our guys were out of position. Illinois and Purdue were games where we should have run the ball over, and over, and over to easily come away with wins, but instead the staff chose to throw the ball way too many times.

Also, Riley may not have gotten great recruiting classes at OSU, BUT we were told that with his great ability to identify talent, AND NU's faciities, tradition, and financial resources, that would translate into strong recruiting classes at NU. I have averaged NU's recruiting class rankings the past 5 seasons relative to the current 4 playoff teams and will post in another thread, but between 2011 and 2015, NU's average recruiting class ranking was right around 24 or 25. The best class in the past 5 seasons was 2013....which would be the class signed after going to the Big Ten championship game, and thus the correlation between a great season and a great class. Winning and getting positive press for a good season DOES improve recruiting regardless of what you think. If we simply end up with a class ranking of 23-25 like was averaged from the prior staff, that is not a sign of improvement. If this staff can finish strong and get us inside the top 20 when you look across Rivals, Scout, 247, etc..., then it will be an improvement.

NU has not sniffed the top 10 in how long? You are trying to compare our recruiting classes to the 4 playoff teams? Don't get the logic there - We can be a playoff team consistently, however I can't see it happening in the next 2 years. Let's crack the top 25 first. If you read some of my post especially in the thread about 5-7 records, it is obvious that I feel strongly about records having some impact on recruiting. If you base everything on win / loss record from 2015 then you might have missed some good signs.

That's like the guy that missed all 18 putts on the golf course and thinks the putter needs to go in the pond next to 18 green. What he forgot is that he hit the lip 6 times, miss read 6 of them and found a spike mark on the other 6.

I've never suggested NU should end in the top 10. I stated finishing around 18-20 would meet my expectations, and anything above that is awesome. Bo finished inside the top 17 twice, and then had a few seasons that were in the 30s. He was not consistently bringing in enough good talent. In order to be that playoff team you referenced in a couple years, we have got to be having top 15 or 20 classes now. If you think its ok to have recruiting classes that average the same as what the predecessor had, then we can agree to disagree. There are still 45 days left for Riley to make the right additions to finish with a top 15 or 20 class, and if he pull that off, kudos to him, and I will be happy.

I've never suggested NU should end in the top 10. I stated finishing around 18-20 would meet my expectations, and anything above that is awesome. Bo finished inside the top 17 twice, and then had a few seasons that were in the 30s. He was not consistently bringing in enough good talent. In order to be that playoff team you referenced in a couple years, we have got to be having top 15 or 20 classes now. If you think its ok to have recruiting classes that average the same as what the predecessor had, then we can agree to disagree. There are still 45 days left for Riley to make the right additions to finish with a top 15 or 20 class, and if he pull that off, kudos to him, and I will be happy.

Sorry if I my post was confusing. I was talking about the top ten and cracking top 25 in polls for W/L's. I also agree that recruiting can't stay where it has over the last decade. I'm less worried about exact team rankings, because I think there is a lot that can go wrong with being star hungry. I look at Texas as an example - some years it looked like they were more worried about getting the most 5* and 4* recruits, no matter if they need help at that position or if the player was even a good fit for the team. Look at there record compared to the recruiting ranks. Not using this as an excuse for poor classes - just feel there is a little bit of budging room if we focus on bringing in the right guys and taking guys that fill our areas that lack depth.

How bout 15 yrs since really winning anything of merit Is that patient enough. No top ten , hardly ever top 20 and lately not even ranked. Yee haw!!! and like it was mentioned here I believe a couple of the higher rated guys were Bobos' and by the way that top 3 were gettin in for those recruits ain't nothin to write home about . We are not getting beat out by okie or alabama , or people like that it is mostly the also rans. . I noticed how you didn't want to talk about class rank, well I can see why, we are behind most of the teams in the conference and about 8th in the Big!!! Impressive Do you really think we are just going to pull out some miraculous finish to this class when we really haven't done it up to now. Well there is some Kool-aide for ya

• Fire 1

How bout 15 yrs since really winning anything of merit Is that patient enough. No top ten , hardly ever top 20 and lately not even ranked. Yee haw!!! and like it was mentioned here I believe a couple of the higher rated guys were Bobos' and by the way that top 3 were gettin in for those recruits ain't nothin to write home about . We are not getting beat out by okie or alabama , or people like that it is mostly the also rans. . I noticed how you didn't want to talk about class rank, well I can see why, we are behind most of the teams in the conference and about 8th in the Big!!! Impressive Do you really think we are just going to pull out some miraculous finish to this class when we really haven't done it up to now. Well there is some Kool-aide for ya

Based on shear numbers we will drastically move up the rankings by the time we fill up actually. So not really look aide but using numbers and logic will vault us to most likely 5th in the conference IMO and top in the west.

Based on shear numbers we will drastically move up the rankings by the time we fill up actually. So not really look aide but using numbers and logic will vault us to most likely 5th in the conference IMO and top in the west.

Well that would be something to toot your horn about "4-5th in the conference"!!!!! Yeehaw

I'm with you on nothing really happening over the past 15 years. However almost everybody that had any involvement in the majority of those years is gone. The group that we have now has been here for 1 year - patience is required (unless you want to dump the baggage of the last 2 staffs on Riley). I don't believe any fans are asking for 3 or 4 years to see results - most expect to see some changes right away and consistent improvement. At some point down the road we will have a clear picture if this path needs to change or if we are looking like a team that we saw from the 80's and early 90's.