Disabling Multi-Quote on the Forums

Bowfin

Has disabling the Multi-Quote command button from the forums ever been discussed?

What is the advantage of it over cutting and pasting a snippet of post and using the quote icon on the toolbar to enclose it?

By the time the 39th person hits the multi-quote button to use grab the entire thread and post it in his post, it becomes nigh on impossible to read and it has to take up a sh!t ton of space on the server.

Thanks in advance for your answer(s).

Has disabling the Multi-Quote command button from the forums ever been discussed?

What is the advantage of it over cutting and pasting a snippet of post and using the quote icon on the toolbar to enclose it?

By the time the 39th person hits the multi-quote button to use grab the entire thread and post it in his post, it becomes nigh on impossible to read and it has to take up a sh!t ton of space on the server.

Thanks in advance for your answer(s).

One advantage is that it's easier to get a response from, and carry on a conversation, with another user. If you cut-and-paste using the generic quote icons your quote doesn't notify that person that their post was quoted. If you use the Quote button on their post to create your response, then they receive a notification that their post was quoted (assuming their notification options are set up that way).

I agree with your point that long nested multi-quotes can get cumbersome. If I'm only responding to the most recent post in a multi-quote post I generally go in and edit out all the other stuff. It would help if more people did this.

Over the years we've gone both ways on this. We've had almost unlimited nested quoting. That really became cumbersome. We cut it down to something like 2, up to 10, down to 5. There's really not a happy medium; everyone has a favorite amount. I think we're probably at the best point we can get - enough to have a conversation in one post, but not too many to make it unreadable.

It's more a usage question; if you use it to quote from a post that is several posts above your response, it helps to keep the line of communication clear. If you quote a post immediately above yours - well, a lot of times that's not necessary. Likewise, a lot of times there's no need to quote an entire post; it could be edited to just quote the point you are addressing.

• Fire 1