5-7 and Impact on Recruiting

So I've seen various thoughts on this forum and others that this past season's performance on the field would not really impact our final recruiting as most recruits overlook that and believe we are in the midst of a program change. However, as the season wore on and the losses piled up, the momentum on the recruiting trail also dried up, with many top targets electing other schools with better 2015 records than NU.

I think we are seeing the slippery slope of several bad coaching moves this past season in which NU could have easily been 7-5 or 8-4 with a better coaching plan, and appeared more competitive for guys like Simmons, Reese, and others that have picked winning teams.

I just hope that in the final 45 days of recruiting that there are enough big fish remaining to give us a top-20 class.

• Fire 1

Little to none, I think. Recruiting success or failure is on the coaches ultimately. I think they've been a little behind for the '16 class from the get-go, especially compared to '17. Not sure what to make of it.

Honestly, unless we have a vast improvement next season, I don't think the class of 2017 will be all we hope for. Recruits will see the writing on the wall if Riley and staff doesn't turn it around next season and know his days are numbered. It would be awesome if we could get the calbasas crew here for 2017, but if support for Riley deteriorates they won't be coming here. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like this loss of recruiting momentum is the canary in the coal mine. Hopefully we snag a few of the big names left on our board, but if we don't......trouble ahead.

Maybe we need to start slipping these kids some 100s on their visits. This is ridiculous. This staff can't coach nor recruit.

I guess I don't get it. Why can't this staff recruit? Because they haven't gotten the last 3 kids 247 said they would? Three 3-star recruits. If they close with lamar Jackson, farniok, Royce, Fitz, Butler and whoever else, can they still not recruit? I know they likely won't but who is to say since it's only *$%&*@& December....

It has some effect and Riley being 62 has an effect as well. He's an easy target for negative recruiting.

who is negative recruiting by saying Riley is 62? Your post insinuates that this is a fact. Or are you just throwing stuff against the wall to see if it will stick?

Who wouldn't? Recruiting is a dirty game.

It has some effect and Riley being 62 has an effect as well. He's an easy target for negative recruiting.

64 year old Nick Saban says Hi

I wouldn't be surprised that some younger coaches will use Saban's age to negative recruit guys. Saban will stay at Alabama as long as he wants to, but I am sure some coaches will say "Saban is 64 years old, are you sure he isn't going to retire while you are there?"

5-7 in one season is frustrating for fans, but not necessarily a deal breaker for recruits. The poor record, spun the right way, indicates opportunity for incoming freshmen. Changes will made, and early play time is a likely for some.

OTOH, I think the frustration of fans is probably a bigger problem to recruiting than the crappy record. Nebraska has world class facilities, and is a historical, storied football program. Not many places have a trophy case as full as ours. We're an impressive destination for recruits. But when Husker fans scream to high heavens calling for the coaches to be fired, and the local newspapers run articles dragging the staff through through the mud it makes recruits question the job security of the coaches. That's why I find it so maddening when posters spew the same crap in every single thread on the board. It's okay to be frustrated and angry about 5-7. We all are. But some of us feel like it actually hurts the program to say the same negative things over and over and over in about 50 different threads.

• Fire 1

5-7 in one season is frustrating for fans, but not necessarily a deal breaker for recruits. The poor record, spun the right way, indicates opportunity for incoming freshmen. Changes will made, and early play time is a likely for some.

OTOH, I think the frustration of fans is probably a bigger problem to recruiting than the crappy record. Nebraska has world class facilities, and is a historical, storied football program. Not many places have a trophy case as full as ours. We're an impressive destination for recruits. But when Husker fans scream to high heavens calling for the coaches to be fired, and the local newspapers run articles dragging the staff through through the mud it makes recruits question the job security of the coaches. That's why I find it so maddening when posters spew the same crap in every single thread on the board. It's okay to be frustrated and angry about 5-7. We all are. But some of us feel like it actually hurts the program to say the same negative things over and over and over in about 50 different threads.

Those same fans are the ones yelling a recruits name as they walk back into the tunnel after the game, a thing numerous recruits have raved about. What we lack in geographic/location recruiting tools we have the chance to make up for a little with the fan base. But the coaches have to harness it to make it special, but that will take producing good results on the field and in the recruiting world. The fan base could be a special tool. But I agree every fan base has those certain idiots, but hopefully recruits understand that for the most part.
  • Fire 1

It all plays into the equation in different ways.

Each recruit is a big variable. Each Coach is a big variable. Each parent is a big variable. Winning record is a variable.

To get a recruit you have to get as many positive variables to line up with the recruit's situation.

That is why it is so fun and exciting.

So you cant reduce the commitment or non-commitment of a recruit to one or two variables.

BUT winning record? You bet it is a big variable. Why? Because it is the ultimate gauge of how good a program is.

HOWEVER we take winning record with a grain of salt because it's Riley's first year, new system, etc.

But on paper to a recruit who is weighing his options, 5-7 says a lot.

It all plays into the equation in different ways.

Each recruit is a big variable. Each Coach is a big variable. Each parent is a big variable. Winning record is a variable.

To get a recruit you have to get as many positive variables to line up with the recruit's situation.

That is why it is so fun and exciting.

So you cant reduce the commitment or non-commitment of a recruit to one or two variables.

BUT winning record? You bet it is a big variable. Why? Because it is the ultimate gauge of how good a program is.

HOWEVER we take winning record with a grain of salt because it's Riley's first year, new system, etc.

But on paper to a recruit who is weighing his options, 5-7 says a lot.

Solid post, a lot of truth in there.