5-7 and Impact on Recruiting

Rivals Head Honcho:

And speaking of balance of power, seeing Baylor and TCU in the top 20 still shocks the eyeballs a bit with both well ahead of Oklahoma and Texas. That shows you that winning is the key ingredient to recruiting -– if you win, they will come. The SEC still has nine teams in the top 20 overall, so nothing changes much there while the Pac-12 has one team, UCLA, in the top 15 –- not a great sign.

Link (emphasis added)

Rivals Head Honcho:

And speaking of balance of power, seeing Baylor and TCU in the top 20 still shocks the eyeballs a bit with both well ahead of Oklahoma and Texas. That shows you that winning is the key ingredient to recruiting - if you win, they will come. The SEC still has nine teams in the top 20 overall, so nothing changes much there while the Pac-12 has one team, UCLA, in the top 15 - not a great sign.

Link (emphasis added)

Record is obviously a factor, but those rankings don't "show you that," actually. You need a lot more to "show you that" than just just looking at a list of recruiting rankings and pulling comments out of your ass. It looks that way on the surface but I can already think of one potential huge variable - Texas recruiting rankings. They're currently #48.

Last year Baylor and TCU were really good too but they both had rankings worse than #30. Guess what Texas was ranked? #12. Even though Texas was bad.

If Texas isn't getting recruits where are players going to look next? A&M, Baylor, TCU.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when 5-7 meant recruits would be lining up for the chance to contribute immediately and the reason NU landed a #5 class.

The arguments shift quite a lot depending on what needs to be rationalized.

I know I started this thread with the realization that we would struggle to land a top 15 or 20 class given the losing record we had this past season. I think the coaching staff worked their tails off on the trail, but at the end of the day I do think that the losing record stood out compared to other teams that recruits chose over us. I know there are several variables into why a recruit makes a final decision, but I have to think that NU finishing 9-4 or something like that along with the strength some of our coaches have to offer would have helped bump up our final rankings.