Gerry hit

Herbie87

This was a terrible call. I think targeting should be eliminated. Refs have always had the authority to eject players under the unnecessary roughness foul. Anyone who has played knows when someone is trying to injure a player and not just make a strong hit for a tackle or block.

I know some have called Gerry's tackle being textbook. I don't agree. Planting your face chest high into the runner is not good- neck injuries can result and you can't see if there is a fumble or lateral. He should have lowered his shoulder for a hit between the pads and the knees and wrap up legs. Usually, there will be no Yards After Contact. As my old coach used to say " collar bones can heal but neck injuries don't". Maybe overstated but I believe its the correct way to tackle or block.

I don't think Gerry did anything wrong. Football is supposed to be a contact sport and that's why they wear pads and helmets. Hitting hard for intimidation and fumbles is part of the game. Targeting is difficult to define since both bodies may be moving and be unable to change their momentum but both may instinctively duck their heads. They don't call targeting or facemasks when runners put their heads down for a hit or use a stiff arm to the tackler's face or head. I say let them play and have the refs make their judgement calls on those times when a player is intentionally trying to hurt another player,

• Fire 2

This was a terrible call. I think targeting should be eliminated. Refs have always had the authority to eject players under the unnecessary roughness foul. Anyone who has played knows when someone is trying to injure a player and not just make a strong hit for a tackle or block.

I know some have called Gerry's tackle being textbook. I don't agree. Planting your face chest high into the runner is not good- neck injuries can result and you can't see if there is a fumble or lateral. He should have lowered his shoulder for a hit between the pads and the knees and wrap up legs. Usually, there will be no Yards After Contact. As my old coach used to say " collar bones can heal but neck injuries don't". Maybe overstated but I believe its the correct way to tackle or block.

I don't think Gerry did anything wrong. Football is supposed to be a contact sport and that's why they wear pads and helmets. Hitting hard for intimidation and fumbles is part of the game. Targeting is difficult to define since both bodies may be moving and be unable to change their momentum but both may instinctively duck their heads. They don't call targeting or facemasks when runners put their heads down for a hit or use a stiff arm to the tackler's face or head. I say let them play and have the refs make their judgement calls on those times when a player is intentionally trying to hurt another player,

Unfortunately you couldn't be more wrong. "See what you hit" helps prevent neck injuries. Putting your face into the guys chest is much safer than lowering or turning your head. Gerry's tackle was textbook and saying otherwise is just plain unknowledgeable. Please don't spread this misinformation and if you happen to be responsible for teaching young players how to play the game, it is time for you to retire.

• Fire 7

No.

• Fire 1

Eyes up when tackling, palms up, roll hips through....Gerry did everything correct. You sir saying to dip your head is terrifying!

• Fire 2

I wonder if this wasn't built a little on reputation after the Iowa game. Can't believe it after watching the highlight. Sounds like the announcers couldn't either. The thing is, they went to a booth review to look at this, and still came back with the call?

The other thing is, the Huskers secondary clamped down on Rosen & the Bruins in the 2nd half without Gerry? Great job, boys.

Unfortunately you couldn't be more wrong. "See what you hit" helps prevent neck injuries. Putting your face into the guys chest is much safer than lowering or turning your head. Gerry's tackle was textbook and saying otherwise is just plain unknowledgeable. Please don't spread this misinformation and if you happen to be responsible for teaching young players how to play the game, it is time for you to retire.

So duck your head and take a knee to the dome and get a concussion. Lol. I see the logic there.

I do agree with hitting the legs but you have to still see what you are hitting.

Ya'll are vicious. How did so many people misread his post?

He should have lowered his shoulder for a hit between the pads and the knees and wrap up legs.

That statement is correct. Any contact of helmet to pads is less than ideal. As long as the head is UP (which I think his statement is clearly saying is necessary), ideal contact is head up, leading with a shoulder around the midsection and arms wrapped around.

First image when googling "proper tackling form" is this:

hqdefault.jpg

Look at that. Head is up, tackler leads with his shoulder, not his facemask, and everyone continues to play the game.

Those who are suggesting that putting your facemask in someone's chest and driving forward is the proper way to tackle are wrong. Does it get the job done? Yes. Does it have a higher probability of hurting your neck? Yes. Gerry's tackle was a great tackle, don't get me wrong. But, fundamentally, it wasn't the best or "textbook" - the picture above is textbook. Now, I'm not saying that is realistic for every tackle to be made like the picture above. At all - too many moving parts at higher and higher speeds as the level of competition increases. No ball carrier gets hit standing still. But, IDEAL scenario, the tackle looks similar to the picture.

So, in turn, if those same people are in charge of teaching youth how to tackle, they should probably learn proper technique or watch a lot of USA Football's Heads Up Tackling videos.

• Fire 1