Schools easing athlete penalties for marijuana, report says

I've always been torn on this.

On one hand, you have my personal belief that marijuana should be legalized. Also, there are reports players use marijuana to ease the pain of playing the game and it allows them to avoid taking excessive amounts of pain pills.

On the other hand, there's no way breathing in lung fulls of smoke is good for a player's athleticism. They're also division one athletes - if you can't give up the pipe in order to take advantage of your incredible gifts then you are an immensely selfish and immature person.

Depends how it's ingested. A pipe on a frequent basis is maybe not awesome. A vape or water-based device is perhaps less of an issue. If I were to have ever engaged in such activities, I would have found that it had a surprisingly insignificant effect on my cardio. Allegedly.

Outside of ingestion, however, there are studies linking marijuana use to reduced memory, paranoia, depression and anxiety.

Of course, as Elf pointed out, there are benefits to the drug particularly as a pain killer and for people who suffer from chronic seizures.

I just bring all this to illustrate how complicated it all is. I imagine universities would still prohibit players from using marijuana even if it were legalized, sans perhaps a doctor's prescription for a specific use.

Many of those studies you mentioned are old and were only conducted to prove the governments position that Cannabis has no medical value. New studies are beginning to prove those old studies wrong.

For example: heavy Cannabis users suffer almost no impairment while driving because they become immune to the debilitating effects of the drug. I use daily so I fall into this category. If you met me and didn't know who I was it is very unlikely you would know I've been using unless you happened to smell it on me.

One thing we need to remember about Cannabis and what our government has told us, is that our government sold us a bill of goods in order to satisfy other industries such as paper and cotton. We also need to understand that the name Marijuana is a name that was used by our government to intentionally make the plant sound more Mexican so it would be easier to demonize.

• Fire 1

Edibles are the way to go if you're an athlete.

The problem with edibles is you never know which strain they used to make the edibles. Cannabis plants/strains are not all equal.

Why is this a problem? The dispensary I visit has strains of Cannabis with THC levels as low as 14% and as high as 25%. Which one is in your brownie? How much of that brownie should you eat at one time? The strain used could be a heavy Indica that turns you into a couch potato or it could be a mild Sativa that is perfect for daytime use, but how do you know? The answer to all these questions is, you just don't know.

If you're like me, vaping/smoking allows you to more accurately medicate with strains that actually help me, like Cindy White or Blue Dream.

Doesn't that information come on the package? I was in a Euflora in Denver once with a buddy. Everything I looked at had the information on it IIRC.

I'm not a big fan of smoking marijuana, but I wouldn't mind to try the edibles. I'm a huge proponent of having it legalized nationwide. I'd rather have people high on Marijuana than drunk off their arse.

I've never seen a person on marijuana rage out at anyone like you see with alcohol.

I deal with chronic pain from multiple sources

Same here. I take a couple of ibuprofen.

Randy Gregory toked away somewhere around half a million dollars and ended up on a sh!tty Dallas team because he dropped in the draft. But hey, who am I to say it wasn't worth it for him?

I can no longer take ibuprofen on a regular basis. A couple years ago I tore the cartilage in my right shoulder while at work. The workman's comp Dr. prescribed 800mg of Ibuprofen 3 times a day. (It took the company just over 2 months to get me into surgery.) After just over a month I started getting sick to the stomach. This coming April marks the 3 year mark for surgery and I still can't take ibuprofen even for a headache.

And on top of all of that, ibuprofen does absolutely nothing for the diabetic neuropathy in my feet. That is a very difficult pain to treat because it's the nerves themselves that are being destroyed. I suppose I could try Lyrica but have you noticed the list of possible side effects? I take enough other pills due to medical issues, I REALLY don't want to add another pill to that cocktail if I can help it.

The problem with edibles is you never know which strain they used to make the edibles. Cannabis plants/strains are not all equal.

Why is this a problem? The dispensary I visit has strains of Cannabis with THC levels as low as 14% and as high as 25%. Which one is in your brownie? How much of that brownie should you eat at one time? The strain used could be a heavy Indica that turns you into a couch potato or it could be a mild Sativa that is perfect for daytime use, but how do you know? The answer to all these questions is, you just don't know.

If you're like me, vaping/smoking allows you to more accurately medicate with strains that actually help me, like Cindy White or Blue Dream.

Not sure what state you're in where these things are legal but, here in Colorado, the edibles I have purchased are labeled with indica or sativa and the THC percentage. I only use them for some mild pain, digestion problems, and to sleep better but I have found with the edibles there is not much of a difference in the feeling you get between an indica or sativa. It sure is nowhere near as pronounced as when you smoke it.

They also have portion controlled the edibles in Colorado. I believe each "serving" is 10mg of THC. It usually takes me 2 to feel it but often times only 1 accomplishes what I want.

Doesn't that information come on the package? I was in a Euflora in Denver once with a buddy. Everything I looked at had the information on it IIRC.

I'm not a big fan of smoking marijuana, but I wouldn't mind to try the edibles. I'm a huge proponent of having it legalized nationwide. I'd rather have people high on Marijuana than drunk off their arse.

I've never seen a person on marijuana rage out at anyone like you see with alcohol.

Honestly, I haven't tried the edibles in quite a while for the reasons previously listed. I'd try them again if they contain the correct strains.

They have changed the laws here regarding edibles as well. There can only be so much THC per serving, certain info has to be on the package etc etc etc.

Not sure what state you're in where these things are legal but, here in Colorado, the edibles I have purchased are labeled with indica or sativa and the THC percentage. I only use them for some mild pain, digestion problems, and to sleep better but I have found with the edibles there is not much of a difference in the feeling you get between an indica or sativa. It sure is nowhere near as pronounced as when you smoke it.

They also have portion controlled the edibles in Colorado. I believe each "serving" is 10mg of THC. It usually takes me 2 to feel it but often times only 1 accomplishes what I want.

I'm in Colorado also, Broomfield to be exact. And yeah, like I mentioned in my previous post, the laws on edibles have changed and I didn't think to take that into account in my earlier post. My bad....you can beat my wife and kids for it. lol.gif

*edit* It is pretty cool that they made portions only have 10mg each, that makes it much easier to know how much to eat each time.

One time I bought some cookies (before the changes) and my wife decided she wanted to try some. Prior to this she had never used Cannabis in any form. I told her to only eat maybe 1/3 of the cookie but for sure no more than half. Does she EVER listen to me? Nope, dumb broad ate the whole thing and then passed out for two hours. rofl

I don't know man I could give a pretty stern look when I was stoned and out of food back in the day.

I don't know man I could give a pretty stern look when I was stoned and out of food back in the day.

Back in the day? Heh....I used to go to Runza while stoned, order a double cheeseburger, cheese runza, two large fries and a liter of Mountain Dew and finish it all.

I smoked pot for two decades on a recreational basis and then quit for nearly a decade before taking it back up for medical reasons. And you know, out of all the people I ever saw smoking weed, I never once saw someone get belligerent or aggressive in any way. People don't get stoned and then go beat their wife. Behavior like that just doesn't happen while stoned.

On one hand, you have my personal belief that marijuana should be legalized. Also, there are reports players use marijuana to ease the pain of playing the game and it allows them to avoid taking excessive amounts of pain pills.

On the other hand, there's no way breathing in lung fulls of smoke is good for a player's athleticism. They're also division one athletes - if you can't give up the pipe in order to take advantage of your incredible gifts then you are an immensely selfish and immature person.

Depends how it's ingested. A pipe on a frequent basis is maybe not awesome. A vape or water-based device is perhaps less of an issue. If I were to have ever engaged in such activities, I would have found that it had a surprisingly insignificant effect on my cardio. Allegedly.

Outside of ingestion, however, there are studies linking marijuana use to reduced memory, paranoia, depression and anxiety.

Of course, as Elf pointed out, there are benefits to the drug particularly as a pain killer and for people who suffer from chronic seizures.

I just bring all this to illustrate how complicated it all is. I imagine universities would still prohibit players from using marijuana even if it were legalized, sans perhaps a doctor's prescription for a specific use.

Many of those studies you mentioned are old and were only conducted to prove the governments position that Cannabis has no medical value. New studies are beginning to prove those old studies wrong.

For example: heavy Cannabis users suffer almost no impairment while driving because they become immune to the debilitating effects of the drug. I use daily so I fall into this category. If you met me and didn't know who I was it is very unlikely you would know I've been using unless you happened to smell it on me.

One thing we need to remember about Cannabis and what our government has told us, is that our government sold us a bill of goods in order to satisfy other industries such as paper and cotton. We also need to understand that the name Marijuana is a name that was used by our government to intentionally make the plant sound more Mexican so it would be easier to demonize.

Your tone, or at least the one I'm perceiving through reading your words here, suggests you don't believe marijuana has any negative side effects at all be them psychological or physical. I'm going to go by the assumption that this isn't the case and you're simply arguing from the position of a user who has seen the beneficial side.

For your reference, I actually looked up six studies published in 2015. Their conclusions range from marijuana damaging the memory-capabilities portions of a brain down to pot impairing driving similarly to alcohol (which could be highly likely if the user is not a routine user like yourself).

The American Lung Association also warns against smoking marijuana for the similar reasons that smoking cigarettes can cause cancers.

My point is not to argue against marijuana. As I said above, I actually believe it should be legalized. I just think there's a lot that people need to weigh and that there are good/bad things about using marijuana, particularly as division one athletes.

Your tone, or at least the one I'm perceiving through reading your words here, suggests you don't believe marijuana has any negative side effects at all be them psychological or physical. I'm going to go by the assumption that this isn't the case and you're simply arguing from the position of a user who has seen the beneficial side.

For your reference, I actually looked up six studies published in 2015. Their conclusions range from marijuana damaging the memory-capabilities portions of a brain down to pot impairing driving similarly to alcohol (which could be highly likely if the user is not a routine user like yourself).

The American Lung Association also warns against smoking marijuana for the similar reasons that smoking cigarettes can cause cancers.

My point is not to argue against marijuana. As I said above, I actually believe it should be legalized. I just think there's a lot that people need to weigh and that there are good/bad things about using marijuana, particularly as division one athletes.

You're right, there are various side effects. I'm not trying to say there aren't. What you should know is that it is my distrust of the previous government studies that you are seeing. It wasn't long ago that the only studies being done were those that used Cannabis grown solely at Mississippi University and that was limited to one particular strain. It was very difficult to get permission for studies looking into possible benefits of Cannabis but much easier to get approval if you were looking for potential bad side effects.

I understand new studies are coming out, and I welcome them. More knowledge is never a bad thing and in this case I think our knowledge has been suppressed by government drug policies.

One concerning driving while stone pointed out several things. First, casual smokers were poor drivers, Second, heavy smokers didn't show any appreciable level of impairment. Third, once participants got stoned those running the study had a difficult time getting them to actually get behind the wheel and drive. Most had to be talked into it.

I do agree with your last sentence as well.

• Fire 1

lf we allow pot, why not PED's? they don't impair one's judgement either.

Sorry, but what are PED's?

Not sure if serious or not, so Performance Enhancing Drugs (steroids, for example)

I was serious, and thanks. Every time I think I have all the acronyms I need figured out, along comes another. ;)

I find it hilarious in this article that Coach Riley seems to have pot smokers pegged out after being with them awhile. Being that he was from Oregon, I would have thought he would have had a head start on this kinda stuff; but it is ludicrous to blame players showing up late to practice as alleged pot users. Furthermore, I think it ain't cool that Gregory was having loose lips at whatever occurred. He has held UNL in enough negative light IMHO. But you would think liberal public Universities could get on the same page on this. Especially the "Power 5" conferences. It could be used as a recruiting tool too, in some conferences rather than others you know? If there is less of a penalty at some schools for a positive test it might encourage players to go there. I think some universal decision by the NCAA needs to be made to make it fair for all NCAA athletes!!!