Too many bowls - or not?

huKSer

Personally I think fewer bowls. The NCAA did say they were going to address this, But money and the good showing might influence this, maybe.

I also feel that those teams that do not make a bowl get X number of extra spring practices since a lot of people on the board said that the extra practices for the bowl was one of the good things that going to the bowl with a losing record.

Remember the purpose of the bowls is not to reward teams. Rather, they exist for two purposes - economic benefit to the community hosting the bowl and entertainment. Personally, I'm with jcsmhammel - I love having as much football as possible. There simply isn't really any downside to the number. It's programming, and programming most like having available.

I love football - it's the only sport I will watch a game even if I have no rooting interest. However, even I draw the line at some of these bowl games. I want meaningful matchups that create national attention, and many of the bowl games don't because the teams are uninspiring.

While I agree there may not be a quantifiable downside in some cases, there's certainly a qualitative one. But, bowl game ratings for the first week or two were down compared to the same time last year by a fair margin. Nationally, fewer people just didn't give a damn this year and I think a lot of this is because the quality of some of the games stunk. Were they worse than last years? In some ways it matters, in others it doesn't.

The more average and 5-7 teams you allow to compete, the more the quality of the opponents drop as does the national interest, imo.

• 1 year later...