Griffey Jr. and Piazza Elected to Baseball Hall of Fame

Mavric

Might be time to sell that Ken Griffey Jr. rookie card.....

ESPN had a piece on his 24 most memorable moments. One mentioned his rookie card and how it is worth way less than one might suspect because so many cards were produced and so many people anticipated Griffey being a star.

Might be time to sell that Ken Griffey Jr. rookie card.....

ESPN had a piece on his 24 most memorable moments. One mentioned his rookie card and how it is worth way less than one might suspect because so many cards were produced and so many people anticipated Griffey being a star.

Yeah, I have no idea what it's worth now. I actually won it in a drawing and should have sold it back right then. It went down as he went along but I haven't paid any attention for probably 20 years.

That absolutely shocks me that no other #1 pick is in the hall.

Keep in mind the draft wasn't started until 1965. Griffey was drafted in 1987, so you really wouldn't expect anyone later to be in yet. That's only 22 guys who didn't make it. A lot of them were drafted out of high school, and it's even more of a crap shoot for a high schooler to make it big. Still, you'd think a couple more would've made it, but very few were even remotely close. Harold Baines and Darryl Strawberry were probably the closest. Baines topped out at 6%, not sure how close Strawberry got but not very. A lot of no-names and journeymen players on the list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first_overall_Major_League_Baseball_draft_picks

For the future, Chipper Jones looks likely? ARod has the numbers obviously but the roids probably keep him out unless sentiment changes. Too early to say on Joe Mauer or other younger guys.

• Fire 1
  • 6 months later...