Favorite Travel Destinations

Unfortunately I haven't been very many places in my life yet. Been to Hawaii 3x it is a great family vacation place. Took the wife and kids to Cabo for Christmas last year. It was nice and fun, but wouldn't go back. Do not understand people that go back to the same location year after year, you know time share crap. Been on a couple of cruises they are nice and an easy vacation. IMO the Black Hills is a great family vacation. Lots of things to do and see in the area. My kids loved going to Disney World and it truly isn't too bad of a family vacation.

For a quick recharge the batteries weekend, I don't think Las Vagas can be beat. Anymore than a long weekend a Friday/Saturday/Sunday is too much. I love to people watch and you get all kinds there. Drink a little, gamble a little, and go to a show you can't beat it.

The places I want to visit are too numerous to count. I want to see every part of Europe that I can get to someday. My wife really wants to go to Australia and New Zealand and I am up for that also. Lots of things I want to see in S. America. I am not really into things, I would rather spend my money seeing the world and I hope to get to soon.

Chicago is nice, lots of things to do. San Diego is really nice to visit with things to do. Seattle is a great weekend. I hate LA it is a sh#t hole. I find Portland to be kinda dirty, but a lot of people like it.

I have to agree with knapplc about Chicago. Fantastic city to visit. I usually stay in Evanston (about 10 minutes from the Home Alone house, which is a cool thing to drive by). But, there are tons of great places to visit like the Field Museum and the Shedd, Navy Pier, tons of great restaurants, Wrigleyville... I mean the list goes on and on. If you do consider visiting there, look into something called a Go Chicago Card. You can purchase X number of locations to visit, based on however many people you have, and you get discounts on all of it. When I took my girlfriend there last year, we bought three attractions (Willis Tower, Field Museum and a city architecture tour) and saved like $40.

I'm going to Puerto Vallarta soon in Mexico, so when I get back, I'll pass along my thoughts :).

I'm going there in September. Have a really good friend that just got back from there and said it was the best trip he has ever taken to Mexico.

Unfortunately I haven't been very many places in my life yet. Been to Hawaii 3x it is a great family vacation place. Took the wife and kids to Cabo for Christmas last year. It was nice and fun, but wouldn't go back. Do not understand people that go back to the same location year after year, you know time share crap. Been on a couple of cruises they are nice and an easy vacation. IMO the Black Hills is a great family vacation. Lots of things to do and see in the area. My kids loved going to Disney World and it truly isn't too bad of a family vacation.

For a quick recharge the batteries weekend, I don't think Las Vagas can be beat. Anymore than a long weekend a Friday/Saturday/Sunday is too much. I love to people watch and you get all kinds there. Drink a little, gamble a little, and go to a show you can't beat it.

The places I want to visit are too numerous to count. I want to see every part of Europe that I can get to someday. My wife really wants to go to Australia and New Zealand and I am up for that also. Lots of things I want to see in S. America. I am not really into things, I would rather spend my money seeing the world and I hope to get to soon.

Chicago is nice, lots of things to do. San Diego is really nice to visit with things to do. Seattle is a great weekend. I hate LA it is a sh#t hole. I find Portland to be kinda dirty, but a lot of people like it.

I was there back in August and loved it. The wife and I are going back sometime in May or June with some friends for a 40th Bday trip. I have been to Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen and Tulum a number of times and have to say that my trip to Cabo was the best of the bunch. I am excited to go to Puerto Vallarta this fall because of the things I have heard about it.

Trying to talk my wife into going to the Cook Islands for a 15 yr. anniversary trip but so far it's a no-go cause of the price and the length of the trip.

For those of you going to Puerta Vallarta, went quite few years back and really enjoyed it. I haven't been to other Mexican locations to compare it to but the area surrounding the resorts seemed older and IDK... more interesting than what you might get in a place like Cancun. One thing though, the water is not good for snorkeling etc. Tried snorkeling on one of the boat excursion trips and literally could not see my hand in front of my face. But the food and booze and people were awesome. Best thing I have ever eaten to this day was a seafood soup at a little straw shack on the beach in front of our hotel. That was the day I feel in love with octopus.

If they still have it, I would recommend doing The Miragalantes (sp) pirate ship booze cruise. It was a lot of fun if you like drinking excessive amounts and just plain having fun. The crew boarded the ship like pirate raiders 15 minutes after we set sail. Kinda cool.

One other important thing, do not go out in the water if there is nobody else out there. We had avoided doing the beach/water thing and instead chose to see some of the city, do little excursions, etc. but one afternoon we were free so thought we would go swim in the ocean in front of our hotel. We get down there and the beach is empty, we think we're lucky......no. Discovered after I literally about drowned that it was riptide time and you shouldn't be out in the water. I walked out about 100 yards, chest deep, and then the waves started crashing on me. Two times in a row it pulled me under and out about another 50 yards Ata shot. After two times of that I could no longer touch. Literally fought for my life getting back to shore. Pretty scary. Yeah, we saw the warning signs AFTER we went swimming. So anyway, be careful.

I have to agree with knapplc about Chicago. Fantastic city to visit. I usually stay in Evanston (about 10 minutes from the Home Alone house, which is a cool thing to drive by). But, there are tons of great places to visit like the Field Museum and the Shedd, Navy Pier, tons of great restaurants, Wrigleyville... I mean the list goes on and on. If you do consider visiting there, look into something called a Go Chicago Card. You can purchase X number of locations to visit, based on however many people you have, and you get discounts on all of it. When I took my girlfriend there last year, we bought three attractions (Willis Tower, Field Museum and a city architecture tour) and saved like $40.

I'm going to Puerto Vallarta soon in Mexico, so when I get back, I'll pass along my thoughts :).

Chicago is one of my favorite cities. We have been there a lot. We went a couple years ago on a Cubs Destination weekend. Awesome.

Planning on going back this August with a bunch of Cardinal Fans to the Cubs Cardinals series.

Nice! I try to get up to Chicago for at least one Cubs game every season.

I'm always looking for new restaurants to try when I go, so if you have any suggestions, float them my way. That always seems to be the hardest thing to decide when I get up there is where to hell to eat. At least one meal is always dedicated to Lou Mal's (my personal favorite) and then there's an Italian tapas restaurant near the Portillo's downtown called Quartino's. Love that place.

Depends a little where you are.

There is a small restaurant in a strip mall just south of Midway on the east side of Cisero. Best Italian beef. The guy who runs it will remind you of the soup nazi.

Portillos is good too and easy to find.

Best burgers is Hackney's. Try to get to the original spot. Try the onion ring loaf.

Prime rib you gave to go to Lawreys down town.

Original pizzeria uno is best pizza.

My Pi is good too between Wrigley and down town.

I also used to cover Chicago in sales so I've been there a lot.

Anybody have input on any of these bucket list places?

-Cruise in the Bahamas

-Cabo San Lucas

-Everywhere in Europe - Specifically Venice, Greece, France, Norway (Fjords), Switzerland, etc.

-Holy Lands

-Australia

-South Africa, as well as African safari

-Bora Bora

-Fiji

-Hawaii

-Buenos Aires

Anybody have input on any of these bucket list places?

-Cruise in the Bahamas

-Cabo San Lucas

-Everywhere in Europe - Specifically Venice, Greece, France, Norway (Fjords), Switzerland, etc.

-Holy Lands

-Australia

-South Africa, as well as African safari

-Bora Bora

-Fiji

-Hawaii

-Buenos Aires

I have no personal experience with any of those, however, my sister once took a three week school trip in college to France, Italy and a few other parts of Europe. She spent most of her time in France and loved it. The food, the people, the museums and art galleries, the architecture, etc.

I also used to know someone whose father's side of the family was 100% Greek, and they always explained Greece to me me as one of the best places in the world to just relax. Great food, gorgeous beaches and restaurants. I do want to get there eventually.

I've been to a handful of places worth recommending.

The obvious is DisneyWorld. Love that place. It may be cliche but When you know what you want out of the trip and know how to get around, you can do almost anything, anytime, anywhere...while seeing and doing things many people don't get to. You can have a full kid experience or make it entirely adult oriented.

Copper Mountain skiing is fantastic. Although my stupid body always needs time to adjust.

Daytona Beach provided us a really fantastic relaxing week on the beach. The kind where time seems to stand still... if that's the kinda trip you are going for.

I spent a month in Australia and New Zealand. This is definitely on my hit list for a trip back too. We started in Bundaberg on the Aussie east coast and worked our way south to Sidney. Then jumped to NZ. New Zealand is gorgeous. Definitely take in a rugby match but hit up a Maori tribe stay to learn about the Haka first...it will make that rugby match even cooler. There's lots to see and do on the Aussie east coast. Great Barrier Reef is a must. We hit up Tangalooma (on Moreton Island off the coast of Brisbane) for 3 or 4 days and that right there was worth the price of admission. Sydney is a pretty city. You have to see the Opera House...but really you have to climb the Syndey Harbour bridge. I can't explain it, you just have to do it. The views are breathtaking, especially if your group can get a prime time in the morning or when the sun is setting.

As a photographer my list is pretty long and getting my wife to go to some of the places is not likely to happen but to see and experience these places and cultures to me is a must. And come on...Dubai...in the fog??? OF COURSE!

16386074648_4bb64b7968_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from 7 days in Puerto Vallarta.

Freakin' amazing. Swam with dolphins, zip lined and went on Mexico's longest/fastest zip line, went to the beaches, ate great food and had a ton of laughs with the people I was with. Highly, highly recommended. Things are insanely cheap as well, particularly the food, but there are a ton of peddlers/vendors constantly trying to sell you stuff which sometimes gets obnoxious.

Also, the public transportation buses are frightening and the taxi drivers are mad. But, they give cheap rides! It costs 7 pesos (basically less than 50 American cents) to ride a bus anywhere. Taxis will take you anywhere for about 300 pesos or about 18 bucks, as in they'll take you somewhere 30 minutes away. A normal cab ride to somewhere in Puerto Vallarta is about 100 pesos.

Just returned from 7 days in Puerto Vallarta.

Freakin' amazing. Swam with dolphins, zip lined and went on Mexico's longest/fastest zip line, went to the beaches, ate great food and had a ton of laughs with the people I was with. Highly, highly recommended. Things are insanely cheap as well, particularly the food, but there are a ton of peddlers/vendors constantly trying to sell you stuff which sometimes gets obnoxious.

Also, the public transportation buses are frightening and the taxi drivers are mad. But, they give cheap rides! It costs 7 pesos (basically less than 50 American cents) to ride a bus anywhere. Taxis will take you anywhere for about 300 pesos or about 18 bucks, as in they'll take you somewhere 30 minutes away. A normal cab ride to somewhere in Puerto Vallarta is about 100 pesos.

This is awesome to hear. Makes me want to change my trip up and make it earlier.

When we went to Cabo back in August, the bus rides were a $1 and that would take you anywhere you wanted to go. There were main buses that ran certain routes and those cost $3 and were a little nicer. The thing I loved about Cabo was that you could walk every where and not feel unsafe. I couldn't say the same about Cancun or Playa del Carmen.

My friends and family are looking into booking a cruise this summer. Anyone here who's been on a cruise in the Caribbean, do you have any travel tips? There are some that are 4 nights, and some that are 7 nights. Right now, we're definitely wanting the 7 night.

My wife and I took a cruise years ago that ported out of Galveston. It stopped in Cozumel and Belize and then returned back to Galveston. It was a blast and we have considered doing it again and taking our kids with. The food and non-alcoholic drinks were free and if you bought booze, they would add a tip right onto the price of the drink. That kind of added up for us. If you do go, BE SURE to wear sun screen at all times when you are out on the decks. I have never been sun burnt so bad then I was when we went on that cruise.