(2018) SF Edward Chang [San Diego State Commit]

If anyone wanted to see how much BB talent is in NE, all they had to do is watch the state tournament. It was pathetic. Even my wife was laughing. Chang was definitely the best player, even with a bad ankle.

I would tend to disagree with this. The talent level for basketball, while still behind other states, has continued to grow for a few years now. AAU programs in this state continue to compete at a high level within the midwest. If Nebraska took the best 10-12 players from the state and put them all on one team (like some national programs do) i think people would be surprised at how competitive they would be.

Just in the class A title game alone there were 2 D-1 basketball players (Strom and Akinwole) and a D-1 football player (McCallum) and that's not even counting Ed. He will be the best of the bunch with the skill set he has.

If anyone wanted to see how much BB talent is in NE, all they had to do is watch the state tournament. It was pathetic. Even my wife was laughing. Chang was definitely the best player, even with a bad ankle.

I would tend to disagree with this. The talent level for basketball, while still behind other states, has continued to grow for a few years now. AAU programs in this state continue to compete at a high level within the midwest. If Nebraska took the best 10-12 players from the state and put them all on one team (like some national programs do) i think people would be surprised at how competitive they would be.

Just in the class A title game alone there were 2 D-1 basketball players (Strom and Akinwole) and a D-1 football player (McCallum) and that's not even counting Ed. He will be the best of the bunch with the skill set he has.

I would agree with your disagreement with SouthLincoln Husker.

The talent on display in the championships was not pathetic and laughable as he and his wife obviously think. There were some pretty damn good athletes playing. Your list didn't even include Div 1 football players like Allen and Vedral.

The talent on display in the championships was not pathetic and laughable as he and his wife obviously think. There were some pretty damn good athletes playing. Your list didn't even include Div 1 football players like Allen and Vedral.

I would not call UNO & UC Davis as quality D1 teams. We have athletes, but the quality of D1 talent is slim. Plus when you play against week talent you look better then you are. No other player in the state tournament was on the same level as Chang.

I would not call UNO & UC Davis as quality D1 teams. We have athletes, but the quality of D1 talent is slim. Plus when you play against week talent you look better then you are. No other player in the state tournament was on the same level as Chang.

Nowhere did either one of us call them quality programs. The fact is the kids were good enough to be recruited by D1 schools. Doesn't matter how good or bad they are. Yes UNO is an in state school and has always recruited the region but for UC Davis to come in and think a Nebraska kid is good enough to play for them says a lot about the exposure the kids are getting in this state.

With Ed if things develop the way they potentially could he's going to have a long list of offers to choose from with many of them being very solid basketball options. Most importantly he won't have to worry about paying a dime for school. Which is the end all be all for most kids.

Nowhere did either one of us call them quality programs. The fact is the kids were good enough to be recruited by D1 schools. Doesn't matter how good or bad they are. Yes UNO is an in state school and has always recruited the region but for UC Davis to come in and think a Nebraska kid is good enough to play for them says a lot about the exposure the kids are getting in this state.

With Ed if things develop the way they potentially could he's going to have a long list of offers to choose from with many of them being very solid basketball options. Most importantly he won't have to worry about paying a dime for school. Which is the end all be all for most kids.

My point is that there is not 10-12 D1 players and since this is a football state, there probably will never be. AAU basketball in Nebraska is a joke that is why player go to Iowa

Ed is a great player and it will be awesome to have him. On the weaker competition thing, if you are good enough and play at a high level you will go D1. The talent you play does not play a factor if you go to camps and play well during AAU ball. If you are a class A player and you play really well during AAU and during the high school season, coaches will notice you.

My point is that there is not 10-12 D1 players and since this is a football state, there probably will never be. AAU basketball in Nebraska is a joke that is why player go to Iowa

I agree with you on the AAU not being great in this state. But that's a whole different subject. One could easily argue that with the influx of the Sudanese population in Omaha that basketball is quickly becoming more popular in the metro. Those kids all cling to the hope of being the next Luol Deng and fortunately for this state most of those kids are very genetically gifted and with the right coaching this state could become a hot bed for recruiting not only those kids but all basketball in this state.

I have a coach friend that came up from Oklahoma. He said Nebraska high school football is a joke, but the basketball is surprisingly good.
  • 1 month later...

• 1 month later...
  • Mavric changed the title to (2018) SF Edward Chang [San Diego State Commit]