Sign in to follow this  
Mavric

(2018) SF Edward Chang [San Diego State Commit]

If anyone wanted to see how much BB talent is in NE, all they had to do is watch the state tournament. It was pathetic. Even my wife was laughing. Chang was definitely the best player, even with a bad ankle.

I would tend to disagree with this. The talent level for basketball, while still behind other states, has continued to grow for a few years now. AAU programs in this state continue to compete at a high level within the midwest. If Nebraska took the best 10-12 players from the state and put them all on one team (like some national programs do) i think people would be surprised at how competitive they would be.

Just in the class A title game alone there were 2 D-1 basketball players (Strom and Akinwole) and a D-1 football player (McCallum) and that's not even counting Ed. He will be the best of the bunch with the skill set he has.

I would agree with your disagreement with SouthLincoln Husker.

The talent on display in the championships was not pathetic and laughable as he and his wife obviously think. There were some pretty damn good athletes playing. Your list didn't even include Div 1 football players like Allen and Vedral.

I would not call UNO & UC Davis as quality D1 teams. We have athletes, but the quality of D1 talent is slim. Plus when you play against week talent you look better then you are. No other player in the state tournament was on the same level as Chang.

Ed is a great player and it will be awesome to have him. On the weaker competition thing, if you are good enough and play at a high level you will go D1. The talent you play does not play a factor if you go to camps and play well during AAU ball. If you are a class A player and you play really well during AAU and during the high school season, coaches will notice you.

If anyone wanted to see how much BB talent is in NE, all they had to do is watch the state tournament. It was pathetic. Even my wife was laughing. Chang was definitely the best player, even with a bad ankle.

I would tend to disagree with this. The talent level for basketball, while still behind other states, has continued to grow for a few years now. AAU programs in this state continue to compete at a high level within the midwest. If Nebraska took the best 10-12 players from the state and put them all on one team (like some national programs do) i think people would be surprised at how competitive they would be.

Just in the class A title game alone there were 2 D-1 basketball players (Strom and Akinwole) and a D-1 football player (McCallum) and that's not even counting Ed. He will be the best of the bunch with the skill set he has.

The talent on display in the championships was not pathetic and laughable as he and his wife obviously think. There were some pretty damn good athletes playing. Your list didn't even include Div 1 football players like Allen and Vedral.

I would not call UNO & UC Davis as quality D1 teams. We have athletes, but the quality of D1 talent is slim. Plus when you play against week talent you look better then you are. No other player in the state tournament was on the same level as Chang.

Nowhere did either one of us call them quality programs. The fact is the kids were good enough to be recruited by D1 schools. Doesn't matter how good or bad they are. Yes UNO is an in state school and has always recruited the region but for UC Davis to come in and think a Nebraska kid is good enough to play for them says a lot about the exposure the kids are getting in this state.

With Ed if things develop the way they potentially could he's going to have a long list of offers to choose from with many of them being very solid basketball options. Most importantly he won't have to worry about paying a dime for school. Which is the end all be all for most kids.

My point is that there is not 10-12 D1 players and since this is a football state, there probably will never be. AAU basketball in Nebraska is a joke that is why player go to Iowa

I agree with you on the AAU not being great in this state. But that's a whole different subject. One could easily argue that with the influx of the Sudanese population in Omaha that basketball is quickly becoming more popular in the metro. Those kids all cling to the hope of being the next Luol Deng and fortunately for this state most of those kids are very genetically gifted and with the right coaching this state could become a hot bed for recruiting not only those kids but all basketball in this state.

Nowhere did either one of us call them quality programs. The fact is the kids were good enough to be recruited by D1 schools. Doesn't matter how good or bad they are. Yes UNO is an in state school and has always recruited the region but for UC Davis to come in and think a Nebraska kid is good enough to play for them says a lot about the exposure the kids are getting in this state.

With Ed if things develop the way they potentially could he's going to have a long list of offers to choose from with many of them being very solid basketball options. Most importantly he won't have to worry about paying a dime for school. Which is the end all be all for most kids.

My point is that there is not 10-12 D1 players and since this is a football state, there probably will never be. AAU basketball in Nebraska is a joke that is why player go to Iowa
I have a coach friend that came up from Oklahoma. He said Nebraska high school football is a joke, but the basketball is surprisingly good.

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Was told from a friend with some connections that he is going to be a Jay.

this just keeps getting better and better

4 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

this just keeps getting better and better

No clue if it is accurate or not but he texted me about two days ago and told me that.

I don't know any specifics, but didn't a poster last week allude to some burnt bridges between him and Miles? 

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

I don't know any specifics, but didn't a poster last week allude to some burnt bridges between him and Miles? 

I think he got upset when Miles wanted the kid from Omaha South (forget his name) to go to a prep school for a year.  He felt like Miles was saying that Omaha players weren't good enough to play in the B1G right out of HS.

1 hour ago, ECisGod said:

I think he got upset when Miles wanted the kid from Omaha South (forget his name) to go to a prep school for a year.  He felt like Miles was saying that Omaha players weren't good enough to play in the B1G right out of HS.

Ed's recruitment has nothing to do with Arop. And say all you want about Mile and his recruiting but he ended up being right that the Arop kid needed a year of prep school. And in all honesty Ed would be a better fit for what Creighton does offensively. 

2 hours ago, wiuhusker said:

Ed's recruitment has nothing to do with Arop. And say all you want about Mile and his recruiting but he ended up being right that the Arop kid needed a year of prep school. And in all honesty Ed would be a better fit for what Creighton does offensively. 

I agree that Arop needed a year in prep school (and that's where he is now).  I never said that he didn't.  It just seemed like about the time it came out that Miles wanted him to go to a prep school, Chang eliminated NU from his list of schools.  It may have been coincidence, but since I don't know either kid I have no idea.  That's why I said "I think".

What I do know is that I'm tired of NU basically never getting any of the good Nebraska HS players.

7 hours ago, wiuhusker said:

Is that because Creighton actually runs an offense?

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, ECisGod said:

I agree that Arop needed a year in prep school (and that's where he is now).  I never said that he didn't.  It just seemed like about the time it came out that Miles wanted him to go to a prep school, Chang eliminated NU from his list of schools.  It may have been coincidence, but since I don't know either kid I have no idea.  That's why I said "I think".

What I do know is that I'm tired of NU basically never getting any of the good Nebraska HS players.

I didn't intend for my post to come off as being directed solely at you. But yes i do agree that Miles needs to start finding a way to get the gets out of the Metro that are BIG level players. I don't think any of the kids in Omaha think too highly of Nebraska. And it just seems like McDermott has a better relationship with coaches in the area. 

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Is that because Creighton actually runs an offense?

This would be a large part of it yes. And if you look at where Chang excels it's at shooting the ball. He's a stretch 4 at the next level and Creighton has had some pretty good luck with that position in the past. 

SDSU looks like a serious candidate to land Chang as well. What could've been with Allen Chang Arop and Wingett...

10 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

SDSU looks like a serious candidate to land Chang as well. What could've been with Allen Chang Arop and Wingett...

All those guys kind of blew up late and honestly who knew at the time they would look that good when they went elsewhere.

Nebraska wasnt the only one that is going 0'fer.. Creighton as well.

4 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Nebraska wasnt the only one that is going 0'fer.. Creighton as well.

True, but Creighton doesn't have a 20 year history of going 0'fer....

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, Mavric said:

True, but Creighton doesn't have a 20 year history of going 0'fer....

That isnt what I was talking about, I was talking about the specific names he mentioned.

Might just show that kids dont want to stay in the state of Nebraska.

I am surprised Nebraska is in the mix here. I would love to see a home grown player be a factor in big games.  The fans would go crazy.

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Timing seems a bit weird on this.

Either we got wind he wants to be here and we offered or we thought we had a chance and going last ditch effort for him?

Just now, Minnesota_husker said:

Timing seems a bit weird on this.

Either we got wind he wants to be here and we offered or we thought we had a chance and going last ditch effort for him?

Or we have a couple open spots left and decided we might as well offer the local guy.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Or we have a couple open spots left and decided we might as well offer the local guy.

But we only have 1 slot left unless someone is leaving.

5 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

But we only have 1 slot left unless someone is leaving.

Are you counting Borchardt?  I thought the HOL guys said we have two spots left a couple weeks ago.  Maybe that was before Harris committed.

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

Are you counting Borchardt?  I thought the HOL guys said we have two spots left a couple weeks ago.  Maybe that was before Harris committed.

We had 2 before Harris.