Underclassmen depth

I've been looking at our underclassmen contributing depth on the team. I wanted to see how the team breaks down 2-3 years from now and where the gaps are... It's interesting.

It breaks down like this:

Corners

Chris jones - Jr 6'0" 180

Josh Kalu - Jr 6'1" 185

No Sophomores

Eric lee - RsFr 6'0" 180

Avery Anderson - RsFr 6'0" 175

* we really only have 4 corners expected to contribute in 2016 and beyond. We really need Bootle, Jackson, and Davis signed Feb 3rd. At this position pulled hamstrings and groins are common and you want a 3 deep on each side. I'm not counting Boaz Joseph because he hasn't been mentioned by Banker or the DB coach, hasn't cracked the 2 deep, and has only played on special teams.

Safeties

Nate Gerry - Sr 6'2" 205

Kieron Williams - Jr 6'0" 190 - NOT SURE HE WILL CONTRIBUTE

Antonio Reed - So 6'2" 200

Aaron Williams - So 5'11" 185

*Right now we have 3 safeties who are ready to contribute. We really need Marquel Dismuke - Fr 6'2" 175, Jojo Domann - Fr 6'1" 210 , and Tony Butler - Fr 6'2" 200 signed Feb 3rd. We need a 3 deep because guys like Aaron Williams will be pulled to nickel in nickel packages. Antonio Reed may be pulled to the hybrid lb/s position at times, or may match up with a guy a lb is too slow to cover.

I now see why the staff has made such a push for db's. I thought we had a lot of depth here, but we have a big need for depth.

Linebackers

Josh Banderas - Sr

Michael Rose-Ivey - Sr

Marcus Newby - Jr

Chris Weber - Jr

Luke Gifford - So

Tyrin Ferguson - So

Dedrick Young - So

Mohammed Barry - Rsfr

* We started off this year with 3 guys who had played. Gifford was a converted safety, Webber was a walk on who came on in spring ball and grew with playing time, Turin ferguson played special teams and put on weight, Derrick was thrusted into the starting lineup as a true freshman, and Mohammad berry "the next lavonte David" was out most the year with an injury and forced to redshirt. We enter into spring with 6lb with starting experience and ferguson/berry. If we sign 2 we will have 6 underclassmen at LB going into fall and 10 potential contributors at the position. We are in good shape here with a lot of young talent.

DE

Ross Dzuris - Sr

AJ Natter - Jr - NOT SURE ABOUT CONTRIBUTION

Sedrick King - So - NOT SURE ABOUT CONTRIBUTION

Freedom Akinmoladun - So

Alex Davis - Rsfr

Daishon Neal - Rsfr

*we have no upperclassmen forces here. I'm putting McMullen at DT with the departure of collins and Valentine and his 280 playing weight. Dzuris is serviceable but not athletic enough to real havoc. AJ Natter has been a bust so far and Sedrick has to learn the defense and get his assignments down. That leaves us with Akinmoladun, Davis (pass rushing threat) and Neal. We will sign Stille but really need 1-2 more here. We are underclassmen heavy at this position. Most of the playing time will go to Freshmen and Sophomores.

DT

Kevin Williams - Sr

Kevin Maurice - Sr

Greg McMullen - Sr

Peyton Newell - So

Mick Stoltenberg - So

Carlos Davis - Rsfr

Khalil Davis - Rsfr

*We just lost 2 starters to the NFL. After this season we lose 3 more guys. We are bringing in "0" in the 2016 recruiting class. I was majorly concerned... Then saw we have 4 potential major contributors that are underclassmen and have been buried behind crazy talent. We are better off than we think here, and this doesn't include walkons who might arise this spring. I think in 2017 we must bring in 2-3 good players though.

RB

Terrell Newby - Sr 5'10" 200

Adam Taylor - Jr 6'2" 210

Devine Ozigbo - So 5'11" 225

Mikale Wilbon - So 5'8" 190

* by bringing in Tre Bryant we will have 3 underclassmen contributors here with walkon talent like Harrison Jordan ready to go as well. We are fine here.

TE

Cethan Carter - Sr

Sam Cotton - Sr

Trey Foster - Sr

Matt Snyder - Rsfr

*this position is the most desperate for underclassmen help. We literally have no one except Matt Snyder after this season. We have to sign Stoll and one more and then 2 next season. If we have 1-2 major injuries at this position this fall, look for major depth issues at TE.

WR

Jordan Westerkamp - Sr

Brandon Riley - Sr

Alonzo Moore - Sr

Lane Hovey - Sr

Demornay Pierson El - Jr

Stanley Morgan - So

Lavon Alston - RsFr

* another position we are top heavy in. We must bring in 4-5 on Feb 3rd for depth. Last fall we had a lot of hamstrings. Mike Riley always struggles with hamstrings and groins in this group during camp. They were so thin they couldn't break up into two groups. They need 12 scholarship guys at this position, 3 of them big bodied. Who knows if demos at will ever be the same after his injuries? Grim, Spielman, Fitzpatrick and Farrar would be perfect additions at WR. We need this class ready to see the field and start in 2017.

OT

Corey Whitaker - Sr (came in at RT in bowl game)

David Knevel - Jr

Nick Gates - So

Christian Gaylord - RsFr

*these are the only guys I see contributing at OT. We are very thin here and need to build depth. Farniok, Jackson, Newman, and Williams would all be used but we must have at least 2 sign on Feb 3. With 1 or 2 injuries we are pulling rabbits out of hats and our QB is getting sacked all day.

OG

Paul Thurston - Sr

Dylan Utter - Sr

Zack Hannon - Jr (might also play tackle)

Tanner Farmer - So

DJ Foster - So

Jason Barnett - RsFr

Michael Decker - RsFr

*we have 4 underclassmen guards/centers who are expected to be contributors going forward. We are thin here, which is why we are signing 3. 7 underclassmen will give us a solid 2 deep at G/C.

QB

Tommy Armstrong - Sr

Ryker Fyfe - Sr

AJ Bush - So

Zack Darlington - So

*Patrick O'Brien won't have much competition right off the bat. The goal is for him to play back up minutes behind Tommy and learn the ins and outs of the offense and speed of the college game. He should win the starting battle in 2017 with a true freshman behind him. I don't see AJ Bush as the starter at all. His mechanics aren't there and neither is his footwork. He also hasn't shown poise in the pocket or a quick enough mind to QB the complexities of the college game. Zack has it all... Except an arm. He can't throw beyond 25/30 yds and his deep ball is non existent. He's a dual threat guy on the smal side who is concussion prone. He is serviceable should he need to manage the game upon injury, but is not a starter for us.

Upon analysis of our underclassmen depth it is clearly apparent that TE is our weakest position, going into 2016 with 1 non true freshman underclassman on our roster. OT, QB, and WR are also big areas of underclassmen need with this team with DB being next. We are really more set at DL and LB than most of our other spots... Yet I thought those were our least deep spots.

I've been looking at our underclassmen contributing depth on the team. I wanted to see how the team breaks down 2-3 years from now and where the gaps are... It's interesting.

It breaks down like this:

Corners

Chris jones - Jr 6'0" 180

Josh Kalu - Jr 6'1" 185

No Sophomores

Eric lee - RsFr 6'0" 180

Avery Anderson - RsFr 6'0" 175

* we really only have 4 corners expected to contribute in 2016 and beyond. We really need Bootle, Jackson, and Davis signed Feb 3rd. At this position pulled hamstrings and groins are common and you want a 3 deep on each side. I'm not counting Boaz Joseph because he hasn't been mentioned by Banker or the DB coach, hasn't cracked the 2 deep, and has only played on special teams.

Safeties

Nate Gerry - Sr 6'2" 205

Kieron Williams - Jr 6'0" 190 - NOT SURE HE WILL CONTRIBUTE

Antonio Reed - So 6'2" 200

Aaron Williams - So 5'11" 185

*Right now we have 3 safeties who are ready to contribute. We really need Marquel Dismuke - Fr 6'2" 175, Jojo Domann - Fr 6'1" 210 , and Tony Butler - Fr 6'2" 200 signed Feb 3rd. We need a 3 deep because guys like Aaron Williams will be pulled to nickel in nickel packages. Antonio Reed may be pulled to the hybrid lb/s position at times, or may match up with a guy a lb is too slow to cover.

I now see why the staff has made such a push for db's. I thought we had a lot of depth here, but we have a big need for depth.

Linebackers

Josh Banderas - Sr

Michael Rose-Ivey - Sr

Marcus Newby - Jr

Chris Weber - Jr

Luke Gifford - So

Tyrin Ferguson - So

Dedrick Young - So

Mohammed Barry - Rsfr

* We started off this year with 3 guys who had played. Gifford was a converted safety, Webber was a walk on who came on in spring ball and grew with playing time, Turin ferguson played special teams and put on weight, Derrick was thrusted into the starting lineup as a true freshman, and Mohammad berry "the next lavonte David" was out most the year with an injury and forced to redshirt. We enter into spring with 6lb with starting experience and ferguson/berry. If we sign 2 we will have 6 underclassmen at LB going into fall and 10 potential contributors at the position. We are in good shape here with a lot of young talent.

DE

Ross Dzuris - Sr

AJ Natter - Jr - NOT SURE ABOUT CONTRIBUTION

Sedrick King - So - NOT SURE ABOUT CONTRIBUTION

Freedom Akinmoladun - So

Alex Davis - Rsfr

Daishon Neal - Rsfr

*we have no upperclassmen forces here. I'm putting McMullen at DT with the departure of collins and Valentine and his 280 playing weight. Dzuris is serviceable but not athletic enough to real havoc. AJ Natter has been a bust so far and Sedrick has to learn the defense and get his assignments down. That leaves us with Akinmoladun, Davis (pass rushing threat) and Neal. We will sign Stille but really need 1-2 more here. We are underclassmen heavy at this position. Most of the playing time will go to Freshmen and Sophomores.

DT

Kevin Williams - Sr

Kevin Maurice - Sr

Greg McMullen - Sr

Peyton Newell - So

Mick Stoltenberg - So

Carlos Davis - Rsfr

Khalil Davis - Rsfr

*We just lost 2 starters to the NFL. After this season we lose 3 more guys. We are bringing in "0" in the 2016 recruiting class. I was majorly concerned... Then saw we have 4 potential major contributors that are underclassmen and have been buried behind crazy talent. We are better off than we think here, and this doesn't include walkons who might arise this spring. I think in 2017 we must bring in 2-3 good players though.

RB

Terrell Newby - Sr 5'10" 200

Adam Taylor - Jr 6'2" 210

Devine Ozigbo - So 5'11" 225

Mikale Wilbon - So 5'8" 190

* by bringing in Tre Bryant we will have 3 underclassmen contributors here with walkon talent like Harrison Jordan ready to go as well. We are fine here.

TE

Cethan Carter - Sr

Sam Cotton - Sr

Trey Foster - Sr

Matt Snyder - Rsfr

*this position is the most desperate for underclassmen help. We literally have no one except Matt Snyder after this season. We have to sign Stoll and one more and then 2 next season. If we have 1-2 major injuries at this position this fall, look for major depth issues at TE.

WR

Jordan Westerkamp - Sr

Brandon Riley - Sr

Alonzo Moore - Sr

Lane Hovey - Sr

Demornay Pierson El - Jr

Stanley Morgan - So

Lavon Alston - RsFr

* another position we are top heavy in. We must bring in 4-5 on Feb 3rd for depth. Last fall we had a lot of hamstrings. Mike Riley always struggles with hamstrings and groins in this group during camp. They were so thin they couldn't break up into two groups. They need 12 scholarship guys at this position, 3 of them big bodied. Who knows if demos at will ever be the same after his injuries? Grim, Spielman, Fitzpatrick and Farrar would be perfect additions at WR. We need this class ready to see the field and start in 2017.

OT

Corey Whitaker - Sr (came in at RT in bowl game)

David Knevel - Jr

Nick Gates - So

Christian Gaylord - RsFr

*these are the only guys I see contributing at OT. We are very thin here and need to build depth. Farniok, Jackson, Newman, and Williams would all be used but we must have at least 2 sign on Feb 3. With 1 or 2 injuries we are pulling rabbits out of hats and our QB is getting sacked all day.

OG

Paul Thurston - Sr

Dylan Utter - Sr

Zack Hannon - Jr (might also play tackle)

Tanner Farmer - So

DJ Foster - So

Jason Barnett - RsFr

Michael Decker - RsFr

*we have 4 underclassmen guards/centers who are expected to be contributors going forward. We are thin here, which is why we are signing 3. 7 underclassmen will give us a solid 2 deep at G/C.

QB

Tommy Armstrong - Sr

Ryker Fyfe - Sr

AJ Bush - So

Zack Darlington - So

*Patrick O'Brien won't have much competition right off the bat. The goal is for him to play back up minutes behind Tommy and learn the ins and outs of the offense and speed of the college game. He should win the starting battle in 2017 with a true freshman behind him. I don't see AJ Bush as the starter at all. His mechanics aren't there and neither is his footwork. He also hasn't shown poise in the pocket or a quick enough mind to QB the complexities of the college game. Zack has it all... Except an arm. He can't throw beyond 25/30 yds and his deep ball is non existent. He's a dual threat guy on the smal side who is concussion prone. He is serviceable should he need to manage the game upon injury, but is not a starter for us.

Upon analysis of our underclassmen depth it is clearly apparent that TE is our weakest position, going into 2016 with 1 non true freshman underclassman on our roster. OT, QB, and WR are also big areas of underclassmen need with this team with DB being next. We are really more set at DL and LB than most of our other spots... Yet I thought those were our least deep spots.

• Fire 1