I really want to get this game but I try to limit myself to buying a new game only once every few months. It's on sale for $45 on Steam right now, so I'm strongly considering it.

Same. I loved the first, but my current backlog of Uncharted Remastered 2 & 3, plus The Witcher 3, & Fallout 4 is holding me back. Plus, I'm looking forward to The Division to play co-op with my buddies, so I'll wait for the fall steam sale I think.

I really want to get this game but I try to limit myself to buying a new game only once every few months. It's on sale for $45 on Steam right now, so I'm strongly considering it.

Same. I loved the first, but my current backlog of Uncharted Remastered 2 & 3, plus The Witcher 3, & Fallout 4 is holding me back. Plus, I'm looking forward to The Division to play co-op with my buddies, so I'll wait for the fall steam sale I think.

Probably for the best, actually. The original Tomb Raider was a ton of fun, but you can get it right now for $5 on Steam. $20 if you pay the normal full price, and I remember they did a pretty significant price reduction maybe 6 months after the game came out on PC in 2013. Same for the consoles.

Enjoy The Witcher 3 when you get to it, btw. Loved it.

Weeeeelp, I caved and got it.

For any gamers out there or any online shoppers in general, I strongly recommend downloading the Honey Google Chrome extension (this is related to Tomb Raider - I promise).

The Honey extension automatically attempts to apply online coupon codes to any shopping purchase. I bought TR through greenmangaming.com, and at the checkout screen, the extension automatically applied about 20 online coupon codes and found one that worked and was 50 percent off. So, I only spent $30 on this game.

I also bought something from the NHL shop online earlier this week and got 20 percent off.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

And the new Rise of the Tomb Raider game is excellent--I dare say better than the first Tomb Raider (revamp--not the 1996 one), and honestly a better ride than even Uncharted was. Just finished it last night, and now going back through to 100% it.

I just finished it up and, overall, I really enjoyed the game. I'll give some of my thoughts here in a spoiler message.

The combat: exhilerating, unique to the environments and challenging (at times). I loved being able to craft bombs and smoke grenades on the run, and the stealth kills were always satisfying. I would have liked the option to manually enter into stealth mode instead of waiting for her to do it, but it was still cool. Plus... TREBUCHETS?? Yes, please.

The crafting/upgrade system made progression really interesting, as well. However, I felt a bit overwhelmed by all the weapon upgrade options. Even though certain upgrades carried over to other weapons, I completed 90% of the game still having several skill slots empty and my main weapons stuck at about 90% completion. I also spent a lot of time grabbing materials and searching every crevice for whatever kind of materials I could find. Considering there's no way to replay the full game with Lara, just individual missions, I kind of wish you could max out her skills a bit easier.

The story: a bit predictable, and at times frustrating. Despite Lara witnessing some pretty horrible things in the first game and the knowledge of what power in the wrongs hands can do, she maintains an almost childish denial of anyone telling her that looking for a 'Divine Source' capable of healing everyone in the world may not be such a great idea. Her focus from the beginning probably should've been finding it to protect it, even with the knowledge that her father's reputation was at risk. That said, powerful emotions like that can easily cloud judgment, so I see where the developers were going.

The only major disappointment I had in the story line was with the Divine Source itself. It gets all of one whole minute of screen time before Lara smashes it to bits. I can understand keeping certain details of it shrouded in secrecy, but I just felt finding it was really anti-climatic, especially when we consider Jacob turns into dust within seconds of it being destroyed.

Graphics: incredible overall. I played it on PC and couldn't quite handle the max settings, but it still looked gorgeous, particularly the lighting. Her hair was the one thing that drove me nuts, however - it CONTINUALLY blew like she was in a hurricane even if she was just standing and having a casual conversation, but my computer would get too laggy if I turned on the highest hair settings.

Grade: 9/10 and will probably play through again.

• Fire 1

And the new Rise of the Tomb Raider game is excellent--I dare say better than the first Tomb Raider (revamp--not the 1996 one), and honestly a better ride than even Uncharted was. Just finished it last night, and now going back through to 100% it.

I just finished it up and, overall, I really enjoyed the game. I'll give some of my thoughts here in a spoiler message.

The combat: exhilerating, unique to the environments and challenging (at times). I loved being able to craft bombs and smoke grenades on the run, and the stealth kills were always satisfying. I would have liked the option to manually enter into stealth mode instead of waiting for her to do it, but it was still cool. Plus... TREBUCHETS?? Yes, please.

The crafting/upgrade system made progression really interesting, as well. However, I felt a bit overwhelmed by all the weapon upgrade options. Even though certain upgrades carried over to other weapons, I completed 90% of the game still having several skill slots empty and my main weapons stuck at about 90% completion. I also spent a lot of time grabbing materials and searching every crevice for whatever kind of materials I could find. Considering there's no way to replay the full game with Lara, just individual missions, I kind of wish you could max out her skills a bit easier.

The story: a bit predictable, and at times frustrating. Despite Lara witnessing some pretty horrible things in the first game and the knowledge of what power in the wrongs hands can do, she maintains an almost childish denial of anyone telling her that looking for a 'Divine Source' capable of healing everyone in the world may not be such a great idea. Her focus from the beginning probably should've been finding it to protect it, even with the knowledge that her father's reputation was at risk. That said, powerful emotions like that can easily cloud judgment, so I see where the developers were going.

The only major disappointment I had in the story line was with the Divine Source itself. It gets all of one whole minute of screen time before Lara smashes it to bits. I can understand keeping certain details of it shrouded in secrecy, but I just felt finding it was really anti-climatic, especially when we consider Jacob turns into dust within seconds of it being destroyed.

Graphics: incredible overall. I played it on PC and couldn't quite handle the max settings, but it still looked gorgeous, particularly the lighting. Her hair was the one thing that drove me nuts, however - it CONTINUALLY blew like she was in a hurricane even if she was just standing and having a casual conversation, but my computer would get too laggy if I turned on the highest hair settings.

Thanks for the write up. I have like final story mission left in Fallout 4, then gonna move on to The Witcher 3 ( 25% through that). Once that's done, I'll be grabbing Tomb Raider for PC. Only other game I'm picking up for the time being, is The Division on PS4, solely for coop with friends.

Thanks for the write up. I have like final story mission left in Fallout 4, then gonna move on to The Witcher 3 ( 25% through that). Once that's done, I'll be grabbing Tomb Raider for PC. Only other game I'm picking up for the time being, is The Division on PS4, solely for coop with friends.

Yeah I think I'll be getting The Division as well, but for XBone. Enjoy wrapping up TW3, too. It was the best game of 2015 IMO, and I got more than 200 hours of gameplay out of it, so well worth it!