Sip: For Langs, POB 'delight at first sight'

zoogs

This is probably already posted somewhere in the giant POB thread, but I thought it was a great read from Sipple, who interviewed OC Danny Langsdorf about the QB he got so excited for last spring. O'Brien is now a true freshman early enrollee who will participate this spring, the first of a two-man influx to the QB room for 2016.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-for-langsdorf-o-brien-was-delight-at/article_075b66cc-73dd-57b5-a85b-b438db19acb3.html

Many high school quarterbacks operate in systems that require only a limited number of throws, which can make for a challenging evaluation.

"With this kid, you could tell he could make all the required throws," Langsdorf said. "I know his coach (Aaron Flowers of San Juan Hills High School in California) and kind of had an idea what they were doing in their system. It's pretty challenging for a high school kid. I was encouraged he was able to handle it."

Check out the article, if you haven't already!

• Fire 2

Watching the video with POB and Langs perfectly highlights why this type of offense is so hard for kids to learn and execute. It's extraordinarily complex in terms of post-snap reads for the QB.

Not impossible, but it's going to be hard to reload with a QB (and receivers) capable of understanding, adapting and executing the offense.

I do like the way that POB sounds, in terms of his sophisticated thinking and his attitude toward his OL.

https://www.facebook.com/huskers/?fref=nf

• Fire 1

Watching the video with POB and Langs perfectly highlights why this type of offense is so hard for kids to learn and execute. It's extraordinarily complex in terms of post-snap reads for the QB.

Not impossible, but it's going to be hard to reload with a QB (and receivers) capable of understanding, adapting and executing the offense.

I do like the way that POB sounds, in terms of his sophisticated thinking and his attitude toward his OL.

well it looks like POB has a good grasp on it right out of high school.

So did Hackenburg. It remains to be seen how that knowledge translates when defenses disguise better and guys move faster.

So did Hackenburg. It remains to be seen how that knowledge translates when defenses disguise better and guys move faster.

Hackenburg was the best quarterback in the country last year from a mental perspective. He makes NFL-caliber checks, audibles and reads all the time, and did the best he could with some rusty chickenwire for an OL.

Hackenburg was the best quarterback in the country last year from a mental perspective. He makes NFL-caliber checks, audibles and reads all the time, and did the best he could with some rusty chickenwire for an OL.

That's a convenient narrative for the Franklin apologists, but I that OL was fairly senior and filled with 4 and high end 3 star recruits. So, either the recruiting rankings are bunk or that system made otherwise talented guys look quite average.

That's a convenient narrative for the Franklin apologists, but I that OL was fairly senior and filled with 4 and high end 3 star recruits. So, either the recruiting rankings are bunk or that system made otherwise talented guys look quite average.

A convenient but true narrative trumps an uninformed, clueless one every time my friend.

I think in college you can have a very mentally sharp QB and still not succeed if everything else isn't clicking well. It's a different game than the NFL in that respect, but I don't think it means it's better to plan for having a lesser QB (but teams often have to make do).

College teams also have zero margin for error, and as a result the finalists are more a product of randomness (chance, scheduling, one bad game here or there) than they are in the NFL. Which is what makes the pro playoffs so great: the teams that get to the Super Bowl, they really went and earned it on the field. No BS, no BCS, no computer rankings or committee discussions.

Anyway, I think the huge distinguisher in college, which isn't the case in the NFL, is playmakers. Every NFL team features phenomenal athletes and talent. In college, gamebreakers like Stanford's Christian McCaffrey or say, Michigan State's WRs this year or Nebraska's Ameer Abdullah last year, they carry teams. Teams that assemble a good collection of these types of players will go really far, whether or not their QB is the most sophisticated field general.

Though generally, QBs do have a lot put on them still. It's just not nearly as simple as saying "put the best college QB on a team, and they're going to go places". At the college level, I think even the best of them can't own the game so thoroughly that it diminishes the importance of having skills players edge.

Did you ever watch a Penn State game? If he wasn't getting sacked, he was running for his life. It's been that way for almost his entire career. I don't know whether Hackenberg is any good or not, but it amazing how you continue to take your derpness to new levels with every post.

I'm not even going to look it up because I know it as fact. I guarantee you that they are near the bottom in sacks allowed.