OWH: Huskers in Dire Need of Bigs

Mavric

Look at Nebraska’s six Big Ten losses. Look at the production of the opponents’ top center/power forward.

Northwestern’s Dererk Pardon: 28 points, 12 rebounds, one block
Indiana’s Thomas Bryant: 19 points, four rebounds, three blocks
*Iowa’s Jarrod Uthoff: 25 points, eight rebounds, four blocks
Michigan’s Mark Donnal: 14 points, four rebounds, two blocks
Purdue’s A.J. Hammons: 32 points, 11 rebounds, four blocks
Maryland’s Diamond Stone: 16 points, 10 rebounds, eight blocks
* The Huskers did contain seven-footer Adam Woodbury, who only had eight points, six boards and one block. So there's that.
Collectively, those six guys produced 134 points, 49 rebounds and 22 blocks. That’s 60 points, 14 rebounds and 12 blocks more than their average. Gulp.

OWH

Look at Nebraska’s six Big Ten losses. Look at the production of the opponents’ top center/power forward.

* The Huskers did contain seven-footer Adam Woodbury, who only had eight points, six boards and one block. So there's that.
Collectively, those six guys produced 134 points, 49 rebounds and 22 blocks. That’s 60 points, 14 rebounds and 12 blocks more than their average. Gulp.

OWH

Dirk is definitely not wrong, how many more wins does NU have if they have Alec Maric on this team the last decent big man.

OWH

Dirk is definitely not wrong, how many more wins does NU have if they have Alec Maric on this team the last decent big man.

Heck, even Ubel would be better than what we have now.

I don't understand why we haven't been able to get a big guy in. However, I highly doubt the coaching staffs lack the desire to get one. They have done well recruiting every other position. I'm pretty sure they have put the same effort in trying to get a big guy than they do the other positions.

Could be, but we are starting to get better players at those other positions.. just not a big man. We keep going after the Jake Hammond type players.

I don't understand why we haven't been able to get a big guy in. However, I highly doubt the coaching staffs lack the desire to get one. They have done well recruiting every other position. I'm pretty sure they have put the same effort in trying to get a big guy than they do the other positions.

I don't understand why it is so hard either. Living on the west coast I watch a little late night hoops here and there. There are a lot of these midmajors that have very fine big men on there teams. Guys that could defintiely play big 10 bball. I think the best bet is to go the European or Aussie route.