Get Rid of National Signing Day

NU needs more and earlier access to recruits and their parents/guardians before players can sign. Moving up NSD would hurt NU.

Agree. I wouldn't be in favor of any changes unless they allow earlier visits.

Though allowing them to sign financial aid papers wouldn't be the end of the world because the kid could still change his mind.

I was just trying to pay strict attention to the actual op. Moving up commitments that bind students will never help NU unless other major changes are made that give NU more opportunity to present it's case to the athletes WAY before they can commit. Official visits MUCH SOONER (April I'd push for...spring game baby) plus 2 parents paid is a huge deal that NU needs to get.

Agree with you on your one direction (school to student) commitment suggestion. Actually I'd love that one. It takes away a central weapon from the big fat liar group of coaches, and that is a very large group.

• Fire 1

This might be a compromise. Allow kids to sign financial aid papers any time. Binds the school but not the kid.

I don't think it solves all the issues. But I think it would slow things down and be better for the kids.

I could be for this. Like you said, it's a compromise or half way point that could work if other changes are also made.

• 2 weeks later...

NU needs more and earlier access to recruits and their parents/guardians before players can sign. Moving up NSD would hurt NU.

Though allowing them to sign financial aid papers wouldn't be the end of the world because the kid could still change his mind.

My understanding of the rule is that financial paper signing only applies in a very narrow set of circumstances (specifically, to those players who are scheduled to graduate early and enroll in college in the spring of their senior year of HS). I don't think it's a solve for this problem.

I do think there has to be holistic reform, which would include allowing players to take official visits earlier.

My understanding of the rule is that financial paper signing only applies in a very narrow set of circumstances (specifically, to those players who are scheduled to graduate early and enroll in college in the spring of their senior year of HS). I don't think it's a solve for this problem.

I do think there has to be holistic reform, which would include allowing players to take official visits earlier.

Or make it available for everyone. Crazy idea I know. It's not a complete solve but it would make things easier for recruit and school.

Or make it available for everyone. Crazy idea I know. It's not a complete solve but it would make things easier for recruit and school.

How would it make it easier for the school?

how about we just do what everyone else in the world of contracts does and make it a simple "offer and acceptance" system? It achieves what the financial paper thing does but more clearly and fairly for everyone involved.

• 2 years later...