Hank Hughes no longer with team

gbr93

I was hoping for a former Beast of a BLACKSHIRT to come coach the D-Line.. How sweet that could be for recruiting.

Give us a name(s) who would fit that description.

Of coarse i have no Idea if they can coach.. But Winstrom, Peters, to name a few. Who could sell playing D-Line and being a blackShirts better then them?

Please be joking.

Why?

I hope it is JP just so everyone can see how full of crap and clueless the guy really is.

JP's answer to everything is "let me tell you how we did it in the 90s, man!!!"

Can someone who follows recruiting more closely explain how Hughes was a liability on the recruiting trail, which has been mentioned a couple times in this thread?

Just genuinely curious as this is the first I've heard of it.

We had almost a complete lack of DL guys interested in us this year. The only official visits we got were the two guys who signed. One live a half an hour from Memorial Stadium and the other had been begging for an offer for over a year. There were hardly even any guys who seemed interested.

Now, some of that may have been because the staff had decided not to recruit a DT this year. Not sure if that was Hughes' call or someone else. But it was still basically non-existent.

Edit: I missed that we did have one other OV this year. A four-star DT who signed with Texas. But we apparently decided not to keep recruiting him.

Edited by Mavric
  • Fire 1

Can someone who follows recruiting more closely explain how Hughes was a liability on the recruiting trail, which has been mentioned a couple times in this thread?

We had almost a complete lack of DL guys interested in us this year. The only official visits we got were the two guys who signed. One live a half an hour from Memorial Stadium and the other had been begging for an offer for over a year. There were hardly even any guys who seemed interested.

Now, some of that may have been because the staff had decided not to recruit a DT this year. Not sure if that was Hughes' call or someone else. But it was still basically non-existent.

There is zero chance we decided not to recruit the DT this year. We will probably need 2 or 3 JC folks next year to fill gaps on the DLine to make up for misses this year.

Lets also not forget that we're going to pay this guy like $300,000 to not coach next year (unless it was for cause) so I doubt we go pick up someone high end. It will probably be a GA or someone we already paying.

Apparently you missed the entire first page.

I saw mention of the GA not the wage. I was just adding that fact. But thanks for being a dick about it.

There is also another person on the payroll that has talked to the coaches but isn't currently on staff. So take it for what its worth.

• Fire 2

Lets also not forget that we're going to pay this guy like $300,000 to not coach next year (unless it was for cause) so I doubt we go pick up someone high end. It will probably be a GA or someone we already paying.

Apparently you missed the entire first page.

I saw mention of the GA not the wage. I was just adding that fact. But thanks for being a dick about it.

Loki-Smiles-Thumbs-Up-Gif.gif

I don't follow recruiting closely but, from the relatively poor job we did filling D line positions this year, I would like to think that Riley is holding his position coaches responsible for everything in their area. So it would make some sense to cut lose a guy who was obviously underperforming on the recruiting trail and also arguably struggling with the progress of our Dline. That may not be it at all but it makes me feel good about where things may be headed. Had too many years where glaring problems were not addressed. Maybe this shows Riley will make the tough decisions.