Overused Catch Phrases to win arguments

Maybe I'm just now noticing it, but it seems like lately people are using catch phrases way more often in order to try to win arguments and it's really obnoxious. These are mostly used in political conversations but here they're also used to talk about Nebraska football :)

For example:

"Whatever fits your agenda." - I can't think of a decent response to that thing you just said so I'll accuse you of having an "agenda." That "agenda" is probably just a normal ole opinion you have about something but if I call it an agenda it sounds bad.

Political correctness - I said something offensive or someone I support said something offensive and I'm offended that you're offended so I'll accuse you of trying to make me be politically correct so I can continue to be offensive.

This is strictly a politician one:

"Gotcha question" - I have no idea how to answer this tough question so I will avoid it by accusing you of being a bad person who's just trying to make me look bad.

I believe this one was coined by Sarah Palin. It may not be used a lot but a lot of politicians running for president are making these types of comments lately.

Another politician one:

"The American people..." - The entire country is on my side except for the Republicans/Democrats who work in "Washington" so you better listen to me. I'm right and you're wrong.

I've put Washington in quotes because it's always spoken of as this evil foreign entity by some politician who's trying to sound down-homey to his/her constituents. I also hate the use of the word "folks" by politicians. Like I'm supposed to believe that's actually a normal part of their vocabulary and not just another attempt to sound like they can relate to the little people.

• Fire 3

"XYZ politician is Hitler. "

Both sides have used this so much it just proves anyone that still uses it has no real valid point to make.

"Fear mongering". Really?

"He/she is going to destroy America"

No they aren't.

"It's time for a revolution"

BS

Good ones. If there's anyone powerful enough to destroy American in 4-8 years I wanna be their friend. (Although that's not to say lots of damage can't be done).

Good stuff, Moraine. "Folks"!!! Gawd, I hate that one. When some elitist politico or wtever uses 'folks', it drives me nuts. When Obama says, "we(folks) settled a deal with those FOLKS in Iran", wow, really, "folks"? You made a deal with the ordinary people, the "folks" of Iran? Or, "I have come to an agreement with those FOLKS @ Goldman Sachs". Obama always says, "folks". Yeah, we people that live like royalty and fly around the world exerting power and privilege, having beaucoup $ and servants at our fingertips are, you know..."folks".

"Problematic" is a good one. When someone says "your argument or philosophy is problematic", watch out, you are going to be on the receiving end of a very long, often nonsensical, diatribe.

straw man. this is the only place ive seen the term used. and it popped up what a year ago??

"Straw Man"

I've only ever seen it used on here as well, and when I have seen it (not that it's a bad thing) I've seen LOMS and Knapp be the two that I've noticed use it the most. Could just be timing of viewing posts, however.

straw man. this is the only place ive seen the term used. and it popped up what a year ago??

"Straw Man"

I've only ever seen it used on here as well, and when I have seen it (not that it's a bad thing) I've seen LOMS and Knapp be the two that I've noticed use it the most. Could just be timing of viewing posts, however.

You guys have really never seen this used before? That's super interesting. I feel like that's a pretty common... informal fallacy idiom? not really sure what you'd categorize it as... that I see pretty regularly. But I spend a lot of times on messageboards of all kinds of subjects.

"Straw Man"

You guys have really never seen this used before? That's super interesting. I feel like that's a pretty common... informal fallacy idiom? not really sure what you'd categorize it as... that I see pretty regularly. But I spend a lot of times on messageboards of all kinds of subjects.

That could be/probably is. I am really only a part of this community when it comes to anything message boards. I've just never heard it used in person.

I mean I could probably pick out a ton of times where a person used a straw man argument in person, just never used the term or heard it.

Great, so a tactic isn't exclusive to one political faction. Is the preference then for it not to be ever called out when it's used?...because that'd be dumb, or hypocritical? I, for one, welcome our new fearmongering overlords :D

No, it's just that instead of debating the issues, both sides try to paint the other as using some issues as "fear mongering". Like....OMFG.....that is just horrible what those people are saying trying to create fear to get votes..when....if they would just look in the mirror, they probably did it two sentences ago.

"Straw Man"

That could be/probably is. I am really only a part of this community when it comes to anything message boards. I've just never heard it used in person.

I mean I could probably pick out a ton of times where a person used a straw man argument in person, just never used the term or heard it.

I had never seen that phrase till I got to this board.

also....."Derp". Never seen it before coming here.

I'd actually say fearmongering is an essential part of politics. Nothing like tapping into voters' or politicians' raw fears, to get people elected and bills passed.

Standard practice by the Right. You could see them really amping up the fear and war mongering rhetoric post Santa Barbara. That's when "Carpet Bomb Ted" was born. And now we have "Waterboard Trumpf". And who could forget "Boots on the Ground Graham". Huckanuts is a good Christian psychohawk, too. And of course, Fiona is gonna walk right up and punch Putin and The Ayatollah right in the nose, doncha know.

Chickenhawks.

Great, so a tactic isn't exclusive to one political faction. Is the preference then for it not to be ever called out when it's used?...because that'd be dumb, or hypocritical? I, for one, welcome our new fearmongering overlords :D

No, it's just that instead of debating the issues, both sides try to paint the other as using some issues as "fear mongering". Like....OMFG.....that is just horrible what those people are saying trying to create fear to get votes..when....if they would just look in the mirror, they probably did it two sentences ago.

Plz provide an example of the Left utilizing fear mongering as a standard political tactic. Take all the time you need.