OWH: Can Nebraska Be Nebraska Again?

Mavric

Saban and Urb won't coach forever. Saban is older than Riley. Harbaugh will slip and fall on his own ego. With a few more equal or better recruiting classes does anyone outside of the obsessive/compulsive fire Riley trolls think we can't be a top 10 team and competitive with anyone. Any team that gets to the Final 4 gets lucky on a call in a critical game or avoids season ending injuries to top players. After last season karma will be too embarassed to not give the Huskers a break. Heck we had enough bad luck to last for three seasons.

imo, a team needs Tier 1 coaching or Tier 1 recruiting, coupled with at least Tier 2 of the other category, in order to be well positioned to win a championship.

For each category, I define Tier 1 as being among the top 10 to 15 in the country.

I think NU is solidly in the upper part of Tier 2 for recruiting and has been for a very long time, minus a short stretch in the 90s.

I have serious doubts that we have Tier 1 coaching right now, and at 64 or whatever, I don't see the upside being there for a move up by Coach Riley and a legitimate championship runs.

That said, I like Riley and I think he's a middle of Tier 2 coach, so with the talent we have, I do think we can be a consistent 7 to 10 win team with a pleasant guy for a coach.

Will that be enough to stave off another shake up? I have my doubts. But I keep hoping Husker fans will get a grip.

Regardless, we need to hire a Tier 1 coach, who is an innovative ground game oriented offensive minded coach, for our next go around, I think.

Ya, we should have kept Bo. He was Tier 1 coaching material............

• Fire 1

Because for Kreists sake, if TCU and Baylor and Clemson and Michigan St and Oregon can be elite then why the hell cant Nebraska? "Cant" is just an excuse to accept mediocrity cuz were so sick of the disappointment of tge last 15 years after 30 years eliteness.

But they haven't won a national championship!!!!

I can pretty much agree with you on all accounts except that, to me, the goal is always a national championship and I think that's what a lot of players will always tell you.

Of course that's the goal. But at some point, if you're an honest, rational person, you have to get to the place of, "Yeah that's what we're aiming for but let's be real we probably won't win it. That's just math and probability." Anything else is just feel-good fantasy rhetoric we tell ourselves.

imo, a team needs Tier 1 coaching or Tier 1 recruiting, coupled with at least Tier 2 of the other category, in order to be well positioned to win a championship.

For each category, I define Tier 1 as being among the top 10 to 15 in the country.

I think NU is solidly in the upper part of Tier 2 for recruiting and has been for a very long time, minus a short stretch in the 90s.

I have serious doubts that we have Tier 1 coaching right now, and at 64 or whatever, I don't see the upside being there for a move up by Coach Riley and a legitimate championship runs.

That said, I like Riley and I think he's a middle of Tier 2 coach, so with the talent we have, I do think we can be a consistent 7 to 10 win team with a pleasant guy for a coach.

Will that be enough to stave off another shake up? I have my doubts. But I keep hoping Husker fans will get a grip.

Regardless, we need to hire a Tier 1 coach, who is an innovative ground game oriented offensive minded coach, for our next go around, I think.

Wow. I hope when you are 64 your kids have paid up the nursing home bill. I like how you pick and choose your "debate". Correct me if I am wrong, but you seem to be basing your opinion on the fact that Riley is too old to make a comeback or take a run at championship year solely based on his age AND he came from a mediocre school. Your list of Tier One coaches must be finite. I did not read all the thread, I have been in a self imposed retirement due to the Pelini crap, but this, this is crap.

In his entire career as a coach, including his time as an assistant, Riley has never been part of an American football championship at any level.

I simply have doubts he can reinvent himself as as mid-60s person.

Maybe some blue hairs are offended by the notion, but if we want to talk history of recruiting rankings, then let's look at the history of coaches winning championships for the first time after 60. I don't think that weighs in favor of a championship run in Lincoln.

Saban and Urb won't coach forever. Saban is older than Riley. Harbaugh will slip and fall on his own ego. With a few more equal or better recruiting classes does anyone outside of the obsessive/compulsive fire Riley trolls think we can't be a top 10 team and competitive with anyone. Any team that gets to the Final 4 gets lucky on a call in a critical game or avoids season ending injuries to top players. After last season karma will be too embarassed to not give the Huskers a break. Heck we had enough bad luck to last for three seasons.

You let teams like of the quality of this year's BYU, Illinois, Wisconsin, northwestern et al. hang around in a game you should win handly, I'm not sure how one can blame luck.

You let teams like of the quality of this year's BYU, Illinois, Wisconsin, northwestern et al. hang around in a game you should win handly, I'm not sure how one can blame luck.

We should not have won handily against BYU, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and maybe Miami as well. Those were good teams.

In his entire career as a coach, including his time as an assistant, Riley has never been part of an American football championship at any level.

Maybe some blue hairs are offended by the notion, but if we want to talk history of recruiting rankings, then let's look at the history of coaches winning championships for the first time after 60. I don't think that weighs in favor of a championship run in Lincoln.

And when Osborne couldn't beat OU from 73 to 78 you would have assured us that he was a loser who couldn't win jack.

• Fire 3

We should not have won handily against BYU, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and maybe Miami as well. Those were good teams.

Hah. Ok.

And when Osborne couldn't beat OU from 73 to 78 you would have assured us that he was a loser who couldn't win jack.

This is amusing. On so many levels.

I didn't want solich or pelini fired.

Hell, I don't even want Riley fired, even though I have little confidence he'll win championships at NU.

But now I would have wanted TO fired.

Again. Ok.

Hah. Ok.

Is there something about our talent level or coaching pedigree that clearly shows we should have beat handily, aka beat without much competition or question as to the outcome, teams that went 9-4, 10-3, and 10-3? Two of which ended ranked? Is there any kind of verifiable evidence that we shouldn't have been in close, toss-up games with those teams?

And if Nebraska beats them like they should have, they are 8-5, 9-4 and 9-4.

Our talent level was much higher than those teams this year.

According to what? By what metric SHOULD we have beaten them? You realize you're talking about sports, right? No matter what imaginary standard of comparison you use to support such a weak, nonsensical argument, I can easily find you a quick 20-30 examples of how it doesn't happen.

• Fire 2

This is amusing. On so many levels.

I didn't want solich or pelini fired.

Hell, I don't even want Riley fired, even though I have little confidence he'll win championships at NU.

But now I would have wanted TO fired.

Again. Ok.

What are you talking about? Reread the post you quoted and notice that there's no mention of anyone "getting fired".