Chris Jones Highlights

Mavric

the pass defense was terrible at times this year and although it improved it still wasnt where it needs to be. i dont know anything about x's and o's but for the smart people out there was the improvement due to the players like Jones and Kalu getting more comfortable in the system or did they change up the scheme?

They definitely tweaked the scheme. Ran some Cover 2 where we were almost exclusively Quarters the first half of the season.

And I'm not trying to take anything away from Jones and Kalu because I think they're good players. But moving from passing offenses that were #21 (BYU), #12 (SMiss) and #29 (Miami) to teams that were #120 (Northwestern), #86 (Rutgers) and #89 (Iowa) probably had as much to do with our "improvement" as anything.

the pass defense was terrible at times this year and although it improved it still wasnt where it needs to be. i dont know anything about x's and o's but for the smart people out there was the improvement due to the players like Jones and Kalu getting more comfortable in the system or did they change up the scheme?

They definitely tweaked the scheme. Ran some Cover 2 where we were almost exclusively Quarters the first half of the season.

And I'm not trying to take anything away from Jones and Kalu because I think they're good players. But moving from passing offenses that were #21 (BYU), #12 (SMiss) and #29 (Miami) to teams that were #120 (Northwestern), #86 (Rutgers) and #89 (Iowa) probably had as much to do with our "improvement" as anything.

IMO Kalu and Jones taking over for Davie and Rose seemed to help, but then again that could've been the change in scheme. Either way both seemed more aggresive.

What was UCLA ranked passing wise ? I thought he did a good job for the most part against a really good passing quarterback

UCLA was ranked #25. They averaged 288 yards per game for the year, completed 58.8% of their passes and averaged 7.4 yards per attempt.

Against us, they threw for 319 yards, Rosen completed 65% of his passes and averaged 8.0 yards per attempt.

So it may have seemed that our defense was better but that was mainly a function of our offense holding the ball for 38+ minutes. Though the two picks were nice.

Anything would of been a improvement over Davie.. He got burned all the time.. Just don't think he was fast enough.

Unless he never really got to 100% after his injury, I don't think it was speed that was holding him back. I think reaction time and instincts in a man coverage with little to no safety help was his problem. Davie was the class B 100m champ. I know track speed doesn't quantify football speed but to me it just seemed something other than his speed was the problem.

• Fire 2