SEC wants to stop Harbaugh

cm husker

From hosting spring practice in FL during UM's spring break.

Laughably, they argue that such a move infringes on athletes free time. First, practice during spring break would benefit the athlete as a student because it's one less week of practice during the season. Second, most athletes don't take a free time break that week. When I was playing, we were training for upcoming practices (until we blew it out our senior season).

That aside, the real issue here is that this sort of remote practice let's UM fly its roster to Florida to hang out, which is a great selling point to recruits for a host of reasons, even though 85% of universities could or would never afford to go on that sort of boondoggle. Reminds me of teams taking trips to coronado for "team building" with the SEAL teams for 2 days and fun in the sun for 3 or 4 more. Total boondoggles.

Yet the NCAA, which restricts scholarship numbers and the use of jets to get kids in for holistic visits to "level the playing field" among the "have's and have not's", apparently has no problem with the "have's" expending $100k's on this stuff.

Totally ridiculous.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14747952/sec-trying-get-ncaa-stop-michigan-practicing-florida

• Fire 2

My first thought here was: cool. Can Nebraska do something like that?

It touches on some good points, I think, about the farce of 'competitive balance' in the NCAA. Nebraska maybe isn't the haviest of the haves, but we're at least pretty far up there. I'm all for seeing the Huskers do something like this that will both reward current players and benefit national recruiting efforts. California would be a great place for Nebraska, in my opinion.

Teams like those in the SEC are assuredly making the most of all the advantages they have. There's no reason a brand-building blue blood program in the Midwest can't employ its own advantages to full effect, even if they have to work harder for it.

• Fire 1

The NCAA is quite possibly the most hypocritical entity in America, or at the very least, Top 5.

That said, I do find it obnoxious when the SEC complains about potential recruiting advantages for schools to the North and in the Midwest while seemingly ignoring the multitude of advantages they have in the South.

The NCAA is quite possibly the most hypocritical entity in America, or at the very least, Top 5.

That said, I do find it obnoxious when the SEC complains about potential recruiting advantages for schools to the North and in the Midwest while seemingly ignoring the multitude of advantages they have in the South.

Just like complaining of staffs going to FCS camps.......

Thought the same thing.

We should do one every year, rotate the sites between California, Texas, Alabama and Ohio. If you're gonna do it, do it big.

I agree. Would be a great way to help begin to balance out the inherent advantages of those SEC warm weather teams. It's no wonder they're whining, it would help level the field for us northern teams. Nebraska should definitely be doing this.

Thought the same thing.

We should do one every year, rotate the sites between California, Texas, Alabama and Ohio. If you're gonna do it, do it big.

I would love to see one go to Hawaii. There is a lot of really good Samoan football players. It would also have a good selling point to recruits.

I am all for these satellite camps. I also hate all things SEC however, how many would feel the same about these remote camps if the SEC were in our backyard? These camps are increasingly becoming a hot button topic. I think there will be the possibility of a few outcomes in the future.....the SEC will begin to allow remote camps or the NCAA will create new restrictions on them. In the mean time, I like the return on investment of these camps, and think we should maximize while we can.

I am all for these satellite camps. I also hate all things SEC however, how many would feel the same about these remote camps if the SEC were in our backyard? These camps are increasingly becoming a hot button topic. I think there will be the possibility of a few outcomes in the future.....the SEC will begin to allow remote camps or the NCAA will create new restrictions on them. In the mean time, I like the return on investment of these camps, and think we should maximize while we can.

It's hard to form an opinion on them doing it here. Nebraska isn't oversaturated with talent. If we were, I suppose I would feel selfish and want to hold onto that commodity. But if those camps were made illegal they may as well make all recruiting outside the home state illegal.

We lose money going to bowl games that we are paid to go to. I can't imagine what this would cost.

That said, I would love to hold one in California with the pipeline we are starting to build there.

But I thought money wasn't supposed to be a concern with this program (?). IMO, in recruiting, the "you need to spend money to make money" line applies.