Kenny Wilhite Now Director of High School Relations

Mavric

But Wilhite firmly believes in the power of the walk-on program. He saw it first-hand as a Husker who’d just joined NU’s program in 1990. Though Wilhite moved to defensive back, he began his career at wingback, and on the depth chart he found himself behind two walk-ons: Dan Pleasant and Brad Devall.

“I thought I was a really good athlete, but I was always behind those two on the depth chart,” Wilhite said. “I’d go home and ask myself: ‘What are they doing that I’m not doing?’ So I took it upon myself to watch those guys and learn from those guys. They worked their butts off in the weight room and the classroom, and on the football field, if Coach (Ron) Brown wanted them to take a step with their right foot, they stepped with their right foot. If they were supposed to cut a defensive back’s outside leg, they cut a defensive back’s outside leg.
“I watched them and learned what it meant to be a Nebraska football player.”
A native of St. Louis, Wilhite moved to defensive back and nabbed All-Big Eight honors in 1991 after intercepting six passes. He had another strong year in 1992, then played four seasons in the Canadian Football League. Wilhite coached at various stops, including the six years at Southeast Missouri State, where former Nebraska defensive ends coach Tony Samuel was head coach.

OWH