Huskers Considered Jerry Kill for Head Job

Mavric

A close friend of Jerry Kill said Thursday the former Minnesota football coach was considered for Nebraska's head coaching position in late 2014 after Bo Pelini was fired.

"When (Pelini) got fired, Jerry wanted to come to Nebraska," said Carl Mauck, a longtime NFL offensive line coach who's retired and lives in Lincoln.
"Nebraska talked to his agent," Mauck said. "Jerry knew I was coming up here (to live in Lincoln). He asked me, 'What do you think about that job?' I said, 'Do you have to ask? If I were you, I'd take it in a heartbeat.'"
The 68-year-old Mauck, after retiring from the NFL, worked for a couple years on Kill's staff at Southern Illinois. Mauck talked about the Nebraska-Kill contact during a wide-ranging interview Thursday.

LJS

Carl Mauck helped coach my High school in Argyle, Texas at times because of his ties to our head coach Todd Rodgers who is now I believe the winningest coach in current Texas high school football.

Guess who accompanied Carl a few times to our practices and our games to check out our 3-4 hybrid defense?

None other than Wade Phillips, fresh out of a head coaching job with the Dallas Cowboys.

Small World.

ps. Carl Mauck is one guy you do not want to piss off.

post-11856-0-63154100-1455247740_thumb.jpg

Carl is on the left with Wade in the middle

• Fire 4

Carl Mauck helped coach my High school in Argyle, Texas at times because of his ties to our head coach Todd Rodgers who is now I believe the winningest coach in current Texas high school football.

Guess who accompanied Carl a few times to our practices and our games to check out our 3-4 hybrid defense?

None other than Wade Phillips, fresh out of a head coaching job with the Dallas Cowboys.

Small World.

attachicon.gifgallery_1_227_1167515.jpg

Interesting. Back when Wade was the DC for the Broncos the first time around, the Broncos used to hold their training camp in Greeley. We partied with Wade and few other guys from the Broncos more than a few times. Wade's a really nice guy. My wife danced with him and we bought them too many drinks. Ah the good ole days.

• Fire 1

Small World.

attachicon.gifgallery_1_227_1167515.jpg

Interesting. Back when Wade was the DC for the Broncos the first time around, the Broncos used to hold their training camp in Greeley. We partied with Wade and few other guys from the Broncos more than a few times. Wade's a really nice guy. My wife danced with him and we bought them too many drinks. Ah the good ole days.

Name dropper ::)

Hate to say it, but personally, the health concerns would've kept me at bay as a future employer from a head coaching perspective.

I don't think it would have for me. Respectability and stability are both things he would've brought, and if you have to do it again in a few years, that's fine. Granted, he may not have been the best option still, but it doesn't totally cross him off the list. Given how things ultimately transpired, it may be for the best -- as Kill retired halfway into '15, right?

But I think you look at the traits they valued and it makes sense that guys like Kill and Riley would populate it. Long term, I think you stick to these values and keep going to guys like this. I'm sure at least a few of them will have some good success, and the causes for that may just be luck and timing. We're talking about sports victories, after all. But hopefully, a lot of solidly led and proud-to-call Nebraska teams in between the runs to greatness.

Cool story :)

Not true...we were told it was Riley and only Riley.

That's not necessarily true. Pull up SE's quotes. I believe he said offered only one man the job. Doesn't mean there weren't short private conversations with others to test interests.

You have to remember, Riley had turned down many opportunities in past...