Support Huskerboard - Shop Huskernation.com

A Percentage of all Sales Goes to the Board You Love
- - - - -

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (Spoilers for Episode 7)

• You cannot reply to this topic
100 replies to this topic

#1 saunders45

Legend

• Mods
  • 10,096 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:40 AM

OMG...

Edited by Mavric, 24 January 2017 - 04:25 PM.
Updated title

WFKrsLn.jpg

#2 1995 Redux

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,531 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:50 AM

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

5LSYDvM.png
B.C. - HANDLING THE HARD STUFF FOR HUSKERBOARD!

#3 Mavric

Legend

• Mods
  • 43,267 posts

HB Donor Gold

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:32 PM

Confirmed new cast members - I haven't seen characters they're playing

Benicio del Toro

star-wars-benicio-del-toro.jpg

Laura Dern

MTE4MDAzNDEwNzc0ODg1OTAy.jpg

Kelly Marie Tran

MV5BMjMyMjUyMTAzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDcw

bKzWyb.jpgI7yKkp.jpgelgfqt.jpg

#4 Mavric

Legend

• Mods
  • 43,267 posts

HB Donor Gold

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:48 PM

RIP

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/813920668177682432

#5 Moiraine

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,747 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:14 AM

On a selfish note: I kind of have a feeling Luke and Leia were going to reunite in IX, and so now we won't see that. Hope I'm wrong. Seems like it'd happen early in IX but I suppose late in VIII is possible too.

As far as the rest of her IX scenes, VII had a "passing the torch" feel to it so I never felt she would have a major role in VIII or IX. They just need to figure out a sensitive way to explain her absence.

#6 Landlord of Memorial Stadium

Legend

• Members
  • 16,018 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:55 AM

On a selfish note: I kind of have a feeling Luke and Leia were going to reunite in IX, and so now we won't see that. Hope I'm wrong. Seems like it'd happen early in IX but I suppose late in VIII is possible too.

As far as the rest of her IX scenes, VII had a "passing the torch" feel to it so I never felt she would have a major role in VIII or IX. They just need to figure out a sensitive way to explain her absence.

Honestly, they don't even need to do that. A young Carrie Fisher showed up in Rogue One - an old one can just as easily show up in IX. Technology is quite insane.

"I’d rather f------ work at McDonald’s than work with some of those guys. Not that there is anything bad about working at McDonald’s.” - Bo Pelini

#7 Enhance89

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:05 AM

We also don't know if Leia Organa dies in episode 8, either.  I sincerely doubt it, but it could be possible.

A lot of episode 9 obviously depends on what her role is in 8.  Perhaps they were going to shy away from her already, but I doubt it given she is one of the central characters in the universe.  It's very possible they could end up altering her screen time and role in 8 because of her passing.

One thing I don't want to see, and I don't think they'll do it, is recast.  

fro daddy, Enhance89 & knapplc are The Trifecta of Awesomeness

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#8 Moiraine

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,747 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:30 PM

We also don't know if Leia Organa dies in episode 8, either.  I sincerely doubt it, but it could be possible.

A lot of episode 9 obviously depends on what her role is in 8.  Perhaps they were going to shy away from her already, but I doubt it given she is one of the central characters in the universe.  It's very possible they could end up altering her screen time and role in 8 because of her passing.

I don't think they'll recast either. One problem is if she and Luke haven't reunited they need to deal with Luke's mourning her, if they do go with her character dying. And if her character's death wasn't planned (I doubt it was - Han was enough) then it makes whoever killed her even more hated. So if they have it be caused directly by Kylo it makes him a lot less redeemable. Not that he's super redeemable after killing Han.

#9 Moiraine

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,747 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:59 PM

Carrie Fisher's mom died today. Feel awful for Carrie's daughter.

It's crazy that society still downplays the effects of mental health on overall health when it's clear stress and heartbreak can decrease someone's lifespan.

#10 AFhusker

Grad Assistant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:30 PM

I don't think they'll recast either. One problem is if she and Luke haven't reunited they need to deal with Luke's mourning her, if they do go with her character dying. And if her character's death wasn't planned (I doubt it was - Han was enough) then it makes whoever killed her even more hated. So if they have it be caused directly by Kylo it makes him a lot less redeemable. Not that he's super redeemable after killing Han.

I read in an article on Yahoo that she was supposed to be in IX too. They brought up the chance that they may use a hologram like they did for Gov Tarkin in VII. She was done filming all of her scenes for VIII, it is now a matter if they try the hologram route or kill her off "between" movies to explain as to why she isn't in it. Or maybe she goes into hiding...they could handle it in many ways.

#11 AFhusker

Grad Assistant

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:31 PM

Carrie Fisher's mom died today. Feel awful for Carrie's daughter.

It's crazy that society still downplays the effects of mental health on overall health when it's clear stress and heartbreak can decrease someone's lifespan.

That is so very true.

#12 Moiraine

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,747 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:39 PM

I read in an article on Yahoo that she was supposed to be in IX too. They brought up the chance that they may use a hologram like they did for Gov Tarkin in VII. She was done filming all of her scenes for VIII, it is now a matter if they try the hologram route or kill her off "between" movies to explain as to why she isn't in it. Or maybe she goes into hiding...they could handle it in many ways.

Having her in hiding is a good idea. I mean, Luke worried about Vader sensing his presence ('cause he could) so it's not a big stretch to think she'd worry about it from her son.

#13 Moiraine

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,747 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:46 AM

Bit starting at 11:10 is really funny.

#14 suh_fan93

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:40 PM

15826223_1195877833853829_10766080375286

560997fc7d88a.image.jpg

#15 Mavric

Legend

• Mods
  • 43,267 posts

HB Donor Gold

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

#16 Landlord of Memorial Stadium

Legend

• Members
  • 16,018 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:06 AM

what the hell is that garbage mav

"I’d rather f------ work at McDonald’s than work with some of those guys. Not that there is anything bad about working at McDonald’s.” - Bo Pelini

#17 1995 Redux

Legend

• Members
  • 13,531 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:58 AM

Fan made trailer?

5LSYDvM.png

#18 Enhance89

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:09 AM

This video gives some information which I guess is a bit of old news (i.e. from December) but it is new news to me.

Daisy Ridley said in a December interview that Rey's parents are "obvious" after watching The Force Awakens.  I've been trying to wrap my mind around this because JJ Abrams has said her parents were not in Episode 7 and Ridley also said in a prior interview that if people watched TFA then they'd know Han wasn't her father.

Excluding the notion that they're just lying to throw everyone off, among the several theories I've considered, the one I lean towards is that she's a Kenobi.  She hears Kenobi's voice most prominently in the lightsaber vision, and even though it is a Skywalker saber, it was in Obi-Wan's possession for some time.  The weakest part of this argument is that Star Wars has always been about the Skywalkers and this would heavily tilt that narrative.

There are also still a number of Skywalker-based theories (i.e. she was born of the Force via Leia in secret) but it just doesn't seem to jive.  And perhaps when Ridley says it's "obvious" who her parents are, she may mean that it's "obvious" it's no one in the films.

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#19 1995 Redux

Legend

• Members
  • 13,531 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:42 AM

I'm guessing her parents will be Max Reebo and Sy Snootles.

5LSYDvM.png

#20 Landlord of Memorial Stadium

Legend

• Members
  • 16,018 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

Obi-Wan banged Padme while Anakin was cozying up to the Emperor in Episode III, and he impregnated the fetus of Leia inside of Padme, but used Force delay to not make the baby be born for another ~30-40 years after conception.

#21 huKSer

The Bobfather

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,802 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

"Rey, I am your father" **scuba breath**

#22 whateveritis1224

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:21 PM

This video gives some information which I guess is a bit of old news (i.e. from December) but it is new news to me.

Daisy Ridley said in a December interview that Rey's parents are "obvious" after watching The Force Awakens.  I've been trying to wrap my mind around this because JJ Abrams has said her parents were not in Episode 7 and Ridley also said in a prior interview that if people watched TFA then they'd know Han wasn't her father.

Excluding the notion that they're just lying to throw everyone off, among the several theories I've considered, the one I lean towards is that she's a Kenobi.  She hears Kenobi's voice most prominently in the lightsaber vision, and even though it is a Skywalker saber, it was in Obi-Wan's possession for some time.  The weakest part of this argument is that Star Wars has always been about the Skywalkers and this would heavily tilt that narrative.

There are also still a number of Skywalker-based theories (i.e. she was born of the Force via Leia in secret) but it just doesn't seem to jive.  And perhaps when Ridley says it's "obvious" who her parents are, she may mean that it's "obvious" it's no one in the films.

The Rey Kenobi theory is valid, but it also goes against everything Obi-Wan stood for.  He was a staunch follower of the old jedi order to the point where he experienced the same temptations as Anakin in the Clone Wars, but let them go by not becoming romantically involved with someone he loved even though he had chances.  A thought that I just read explains why Obi Wan was heard during the lightsaber flashback/vision.  Both of what Obi Wan and Yoda said in that scene were lines said to Luke in the OT.  (Yoda's "Surrounds us...Binds us" when he's talking about the force and Kenobi's "These are your first steps" were said in ANH after Luke blocks the bolts from the trainer)  

And really the Kenobi theory is based on the fact the he is the one that speaks in the force vision.  Which you could also say of Yoda and no one is saying the Yoda is Rey's father.

At this point there is too much pointing to Rey being Luke's daughter that if she's anyone, she will be Luke's daughter or no one.  There's too many hoops you would have to jump through to explain another origin.

#23 huKSer

The Bobfather

• Members2
  • 6,802 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:32 PM

Just asking:

Rey must have been born about the time of the original trilogy, right?

What is the deal with Jedi and marriage and/or procreating?  If it is bad, where do little Jedi come from.

#24 whateveritis1224

All American

• Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

Just asking:

What is the deal with Jedi and marriage and/or procreating?  If it is bad, where do little Jedi come from.

Rey is approximately 19 during TFA, so she was born approximately 10 years after ROTJ.  The attachment thing came about becuase Jedi who were too afraid of letting go became possessive and turned to the dark side (i.e. Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader).  Luke turns that on its head in the OT because while he caused issues in ESB in leaving to save Leia and Han, it was his love for Vader/Anakin that caused Anakin to turn back to the light and kill Sidious.  There's also been no indication in the new canon that Luke would follow the Old Jedi Order's stance.  In fact a book in the new canon has Luke hearing that, laughing it off, and then getting into a relationship with someone 10 minutes later.

#25 Mavric

Legend

• Mods
  • 43,267 posts

HB Donor Gold

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

The Rey Kenobi theory is valid, but it also goes against everything Obi-Wan stood for.  He was a staunch follower of the old jedi order to the point where he experienced the same temptations as Anakin in the Clone Wars, but let them go by not becoming romantically involved with someone he loved even though he had chances.  A thought that I just read explains why Obi Wan was heard during the lightsaber flashback/vision.  Both of what Obi Wan and Yoda said in that scene were lines said to Luke in the OT.  (Yoda's "Surrounds us...Binds us" when he's talking about the force and Kenobi's "These are your first steps" were said in ANH after Luke blocks the bolts from the trainer)  

And really the Kenobi theory is based on the fact the he is the one that speaks in the force vision.  Which you could also say of Yoda and no one is saying the Yoda is Rey's father.

At this point there is too much pointing to Rey being Luke's daughter that if she's anyone, she will be Luke's daughter or no one.  There's too many hoops you would have to jump through to explain another origin.

The other oddity of that would be why would Obi-Wan be hiding out as a hermit at the beginning of ANH if he had family?

#26 1995 Redux

Legend

• Members
  • 13,531 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

Obi-Wan banged Padme while Anakin was cozying up to the Emperor in Episode III, and he impregnated the fetus of Leia inside of Padme, but used Force delay to not make the baby be born for another ~30-40 years after conception.

That's an image I won't soon lose...

5LSYDvM.png

#27 Landlord of Memorial Stadium

Legend

• Members
  • 16,018 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

Just asking:

Unfortunately, midichloreans are canon, and explain force sensitivity which explains capability of being a Jedi

#28 huKSer

The Bobfather

• Members2
  • 6,802 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:04 PM

Just asking:

Unfortunately, midichloreans are canon, and explain force sensitivity which explains capability of being a Jedi

Mini-chamelions are cannons?

#29 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 22,356 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:32 PM

Daisy Ridley said in a December interview that Rey's parents are "obvious" after watching The Force Awakens.

As someone who loves this movie possibly more than is healthy and needs to be stopped from talking nonstop about it, here I go talking nonstop about it some more:

I think the best interpretation of this is that Rey's parents are nobodies who will play no role in this trilogy. Half of this is my strong, personal desire to this happen, and I'm barely restraining myself from writing a novel about why again :D

The other was the fairly pivotal scene at the movie's inflection point, in Maz Kanata's castle. Maz is having a heart-to-heart with Rey after she experiences the lightsaber vision. She tells her point-blank: "You know in your heart, whomever you're waiting for is not coming back. But there's still someone who can."

Rey says, "Luke!" as Maz nods. (This exchange seemed a bit forced, as Finn would have been a far lesser leap of an answer. The clunkiness only underscores its narrative importance to me.)

Rey has spent her whole life stubbornly counting the days to her parents' return. She's so singularly devoted to this purpose she hasn't spared the effort to figure out a more efficient tally system. She spends the first half of the movie resisting repeated, increasingly serious suggestions for her to move on and get away from Jakku. This is Maz telling her to let go of the trauma of her past, and Rey (starting to) accept it. By the end of the movie she's started to embrace it.

That is Rey's journey. It's thematically beautiful and one of the many reasons I adore TFA. It loses a lot of its weight if her arc turns into a discovery of predetermined significance derived from her Big Deal parents.
check us out @Huskerboard !

#30 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 22,356 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:46 PM

By the way, on the Skywalkers: Kylo Ren is a one, and if Rey isn't, he's likely the last of the Skywalker line. The story of this trilogy may be a passing of the torch in the infinite battle between dark and light; the last Skywalker fails to carry on the legacy but a new hero rises through her own nature and not genealogy. I'm sure Disney intends to milk much more from Star Wars at some point, and moving on from The Skywalker Chronicles would be an important task to accomplish at some point. There's no greater opportunity than now.

A little about Jedi love, Kenobi's love interest is now canon and so is her death at the hands of Darth Maul, whose comic book-like survival-as-fanservice is also canon. :( Hope all of this doesn't bleed too much into the main movies.

#31 whateveritis1224

All American

• Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:29 PM

By the way, on the Skywalkers: Kylo Ren is a one, and if Rey isn't, he's likely the last of the Skywalker line. The story of this trilogy may be a passing of the torch in the infinite battle between dark and light; the last Skywalker fails to carry on the legacy but a new hero rises through her own nature and not genealogy. I'm sure Disney intends to milk much more from Star Wars at some point, and moving on from The Skywalker Chronicles would be an important task to accomplish at some point. There's no greater opportunity than now.

A little about Jedi love, Kenobi's love interest is now canon and so is her death at the hands of Darth Maul, whose comic book-like survival-as-fanservice is also canon. :( Hope all of this doesn't bleed too much into the main movies.

I'm grabbing this thought from something I read online, but it also falls into what I think exactly, just more eloquently:

"If Kylo Ren is the only legacy child, what is the message of the Skywalker Saga  -   that the bloodline will always be drawn to the dark?  That’s terrible and negates everything that happened in ROTJ - if this is the case most people in the GFFA could be forgiven for thinking that all of the Skywalkers should be sterilized and they’d all be much better off.  But if Rey is a Skywalker there is a message of hope - the Skywalker bloodline has the capacity for light and dark, to drag the galaxy into chaos, but ultimately to save it again - they represent the true balance of the Force, keeping the dark and light sides in harmony with one another." 

I 100% understand why people do not want the main lead to be a Skywalker (especially when the most visible bad guy is one), but to me there is too much symbolism and parallels to Luke/Anakin in a movie that was pulling a lot from the previous movies to point me to another answer.  With Daisy's interview about it being obvious in the movie, didn't like 90% of the people who walked out of the movie thinking she was Luke's kid? 

#32 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 22,356 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:53 PM

It would be a little dark for the Skywalkers, but not too much so long as Luke remains pure. If Rey becomes his spiritual heir, it's still hereditary, but by choice and not by lineage. I think that's a powerful statement that both preserves Luke's legacy, builds on what he did in ROTJ, and emphasizes the point that while Skywalker did a lot for the light side, 'light' is not something they own, and thus it's a tradition that they pass on.

It must happen, eventually, right? Skywalkers will not rule as a steward dynasty of Good in the universe. It would most honor the originals that Luke himself cements his legacy by finding someone to successfully hand it off to. Hope for Light >>>> hope for a particular family's redemption.

#33 whateveritis1224

All American

• Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:29 AM

Good points and at this point the only 2 Rey theories I can accept are the Rey Skywalker or Rey Nobody, but I also feel like the Saga stories should have Skywalkers as the main characters.  While I expect VIII to feature Luke prominently, the story is still Rey's and I expect that we're not going to push each other off of our mountains. 

#34 Enhance89

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:43 PM

...but I also feel like the Saga stories should have Skywalkers as the main characters.  While I expect VIII to feature Luke prominently, the story is still Rey's and I expect that we're not going to push each other off of our mountains. 

This is where I'm stuck at, as well, particularly as it relates back to Rey and her parents.  The first six films were all about the Skywalkers.  Even TFA, which largely features Rey, is anchored by the need to find Luke.  Having Rey's parents be some kind of bombshell that takes away from the Skywalkers just doesn't seem to fit well with me.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#35 whateveritis1224

All American

• Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:27 PM

...but I also feel like the Saga stories should have Skywalkers as the main characters.  While I expect VIII to feature Luke prominently, the story is still Rey's and I expect that we're not going to push each other off of our mountains. 

This is where I'm stuck at, as well, particularly as it relates back to Rey and her parents.  The first six films were all about the Skywalkers.  Even TFA, which largely features Rey, is anchored by the need to find Luke.  Having Rey's parents be some kind of bombshell that takes away from the Skywalkers just doesn't seem to fit well with me.

Also its possible that the bombshell about Rey might not be the who (TFA points more to Rey being Luke's daughter than any other theory), but the how/why Rey was left on Jakku.

#36 RedDenver

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,248 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

I'd be surprised if Rey isn't Han and Leia's kid. The hug at the end of TFA gives it away IMO.

#37 saunders45

Legend

• Mods
  • 10,096 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:04 AM

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/823561256078548992

WFKrsLn.jpg

#38 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 38,900 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

Weird that they announce this. It's not like people aren't going to see the movie.  Maybe they're trying to soften the blow? 

clEdF.png

The failure to condemn is necessarily the act to condone.

#39 Landlord of Memorial Stadium

Legend

• Members
  • 16,018 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

Well, we had to find out the name of the movie at some point?

#40 whateveritis1224

All American

• Members
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:42 PM

Weird that they announce this. It's not like people aren't going to see the movie.  Maybe they're trying to soften the blow? 

Lot of talk in that TFA name was announced 2 weeks before the first trailer.  Might mean there is a teaser during the Super Bowl (as it is now 2 weeks away).

#41 Enhance89

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

Lot of talk in that TFA name was announced 2 weeks before the first trailer.  Might mean there is a teaser during the Super Bowl (as it is now 2 weeks away).

God I hope so.  I think the first teaser trailer for TFA was released more than a year before it's premiere, and we're already about 11 months way from TLJ.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#42 1995 Redux

Legend

• Members
  • 13,531 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:51 PM

Soften what blow?

5LSYDvM.png

#43 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 38,900 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:57 PM

Of Luke dying. He's been the major face of the franchise since 1977.

But I think they missed an opportunity here. "I am your father" was one of the most iconic moments in movie history. Luke's surprise death could be the same. Han's was basically a foregone conclusion, since Harrison Ford had been begging to be killed off since the first movie, but Luke's death will be a huge moment. Surprising the audience with it could have been another iconic moment. Now we know.

clEdF.png

The failure to condemn is necessarily the act to condone.

#44 1995 Redux

Legend

• Members
  • 13,531 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

Of Luke dying. He's been the major face of the franchise since 1977.But I think they missed an opportunity here. "I am your father" was one of the most iconic moments in movie history. Luke's surprise death could be the same. Han's was basically a foregone conclusion, since Harrison Ford had been begging to be killed off since the first movie, but Luke's death will be a huge moment. Surprising the audience with it could have been another iconic moment. Now we know.

You are assuming Jedi in this title is singular instead of plural.

And if it is sungular, Luke is the last Jedi. Rey is at best a paduwan learner if the movie picks up where it left off.

5LSYDvM.png

#45 Landlord of Memorial Stadium

Legend

• Members
  • 16,018 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:21 PM

Everyone is assuming that the subtitle is singular, but I don't know why. The last Jedi can refer to more than one person.

#46 1995 Redux

Legend

• Members
  • 13,531 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:46 PM

I think that's exactly why they named it this way. Breed speculation, generate buzz.

5LSYDvM.png

#47 Moiraine

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,747 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:53 PM

Of Luke dying. He's been the major face of the franchise since 1977.

But I think they missed an opportunity here. "I am your father" was one of the most iconic moments in movie history. Luke's surprise death could be the same. Han's was basically a foregone conclusion, since Harrison Ford had been begging to be killed off since the first movie, but Luke's death will be a huge moment. Surprising the audience with it could have been another iconic moment. Now we know.

No we don't.

What we do know is Luke is hiding, even from his friends and his sister (which makes his reclusiveness different from Yoda's), and doesn't want to deal with life right now because his nephew who he was training went to the dark side. We haven't seen someone stop being a jedi (except when Anakin became a Sith) but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

Alternatively as was said above my post, Rey is not a jedi. Just like Luke was not a jedi in episodes IV and V. Right now Luke is the only jedi and since his attempts to train padawns went horribly wrong, he could have easily decided he won't train anyone else and that makes him the last up until Rey changes his mind.

#48 Mavric

Legend

• Mods
  • 43,267 posts

HB Donor Gold

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:12 PM

Yeah, if Luke ends up being the Last Jedi, I'll be even less of a fan of this Luke-in-hiding storyline than I was in Episode VII. Obviously there are still Stih around. If Luke basically allows the Jedi line to cease to exist...... that just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

#49 Landlord of Memorial Stadium

Legend

• Members
  • 16,018 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:39 PM

What would be the motivation for trying to 'soften the blow' of that, anyways? Do they think people would be mad or something? 

#50 ColoNoCoHusker

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:09 PM

Just like Jedi could be singular/plural, "last" can be final OR most recent. I am going with latter interpretation for now (like last night, last year) as that's the safest until there's a trailer. ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users