Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (Spoilers for Episode 7)

1 hour ago, Redux said:

I literally said they are better than most movies , so even if it was 51% the statement is true.  And my reasoning is because I like them and I could give a damn if my statement is true because it was pretty clearly an opinionated statement.  Don't be such a tool asking for numbers and studies to cement my claims.  You're in a thread about Sci Fi movies, wtf do you expect other than opinion.  Seriously?

"Most" can mean 51%, but most people use it to mean a large majority.

13 hours ago, Redux said:

I and III are damn fine movies even with their flaws.  

I don't think this statement should be overlooked. This may be the first time in history that someone has called Episode I a "damn fine" movie. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

"Most" can mean 51%, but most people use it to mean a large majority.

determiner & pronoun
  1. 1.
    superlative of many, much.
  2. 2.
    greatest in amount or degree.
    "they've had the most success"
1 hour ago, Ulty said:

I don't think this statement should be overlooked. This may be the first time in history that someone has called Episode I a "damn fine" movie. 

Send me a f#&%ing cake then and be on your way

8 minutes ago, Redux said:

determiner & pronoun
  1. 1.
  2. 2.

Send me a f#&%ing cake then and be on your way

I know the definition. Just sayin', most people don't use it to mean 51%.

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I know the definition. Just sayin', most people don't use it to mean 51%.

So if I'm not using it incorrectly, what exactly is the issue?  Personal differences in percentages?  Hardly seems worth discussing or even bringing up to begin with.  And besides, if these numbers are the supposed gospel in terms of fan reception, not once is 51% anywhere to be found.

A New Hope: 94.5%

Empire Strikes Back: 96%

Return of the Jedi: 87%

Phantom Menace: 57%

Attack of the Clones: 61%

Revenge of the Sith: 72%

The Force Awakens: 90%

Rogue One: 86%

The Last Jedi: 68.5% 

Solo: 67%

On 7/9/2018 at 6:13 AM, Redux said:

I literally said they are better than most movies , so even if it was 51% the statement is true.  And my reasoning is because I like them and I could give a damn if my statement is true because it was pretty clearly an opinionated statement.  Don't be such a tool asking for numbers and studies to cement my claims.  You're in a thread about Sci Fi movies, wtf do you expect other than opinion.  Seriously?

Saying they are damn fine movies isn't an opinion statement, it's a fact statement. Saying they're better than most movies isn't an opinion statement, it's a fact statement. Saying something like, I still like them (like you did in this post, well done) and think they're good, OR, I think they're better than most movies, is an opinion statement. 

On 7/9/2018 at 9:59 AM, Redux said:

determiner & pronoun
  1. 1.
  2. 2.

You call me a tool asking for evidence of fact claims, then you provide dictionary definitions to defend a technicality that you didn't even mean to argue in the first place? :lol:

On 7/9/2018 at 10:14 AM, Redux said:

So if I'm not using it incorrectly, what exactly is the issue?  Personal differences in percentages?  Hardly seems worth discussing or even bringing up to begin with.  And besides, if these numbers are the supposed gospel in terms of fan reception, not once is 51% anywhere to be found.

A New Hope: 94.5%

Empire Strikes Back: 96%

Return of the Jedi: 87%

Phantom Menace: 57%

Attack of the Clones: 61%

Revenge of the Sith: 72%

The Force Awakens: 90%

Rogue One: 86%

The Last Jedi: 68.5% 

Solo: 67%

I can't tell if we're allowed to keep quibbling over the details or not, so forgive me if I'm not supposed to, but you're getting your own argument confused with a different argument and it's kind of funny. Let me break it down:

1. Redux says that the prequel movies are better than most other movies

2. Landlord contests this claim, but says that maybe if you are being literal the prequels might possibly be better than 51% of all movies ever made, but there hasn't been any evidence put forth for the claim.

3. Moiraine quibbles over Redux's definition of 'most', to which Redux replies with literal definitions

4. To support his argument about the prequel movies being better than most other movies Redux pastes Rotten Tomatoes averages showing that they're all above 51%, even though RT scores have nothing to do with the amount of movies that that movie is better than???

What do you think those numbers mean, exactly? The answer is not, "The Force Awakens is better than 90% of other movies".

5 hours ago, Landlord said:

4. To support his argument about the prequel movies being better than most other movies Redux pastes Rotten Tomatoes averages showing that they're all above 51%, even though RT scores have nothing to do with the amount of movies that that movie is better than???

What do you think those numbers mean, exactly? The answer is not, "The Force Awakens is better than 90% of other movies".

That's a good point. I tried to find data on the quantiles for Rotten Tomatoes scores but couldn't. Regardless, I think that people (including critics) tend to like movies. A lot of people are happy just to go to the theatre. i.e., it's quite possible that 80% of all movies get a rating of over 50%.

18 hours ago, Landlord said:

Saying they are damn fine movies isn't an opinion statement, it's a fact statement. Saying they're better than most movies isn't an opinion statement, it's a fact statement. Saying something like, I still like them (like you did in this post, well done) and think they're good, OR, I think they're better than most movies, is an opinion statement. 

Um ..... this is false.  Unless you - or someone - has been made Official Worldwide Judge Of All Movies' Fine-ness that I don't know about.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Um ..... this is false.  Unless you - or someone - has been made Official Worldwide Judge Of All Movies' Fine-ness that I don't know about.

He's meaning the same thing you are, basically. He's claiming Redux was stating "they are damn fine movies" as a fact, when it's only his opinion.

16 hours ago, Redux said:

I literally used the same numbers that Cdog posted on page 5....

But you compared them directly to the 51% number, which made it seem like you might've thought if a movie had a rating of 51% on Rotten Tomatoes that it was better than 51% of movies.

17 hours ago, Redux said:

I literally used the same numbers that Cdog posted on page 5....

Which have nothing to do with the percentage of movies that those movies are better than. When your argument was that they are better than most movies. Those numbers have nothing to do with that.