Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (Spoilers for Episode 7)

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

Which have nothing to do with the percentage of movies that those movies are better than. When your argument was that they are better than most movies. Those numbers have nothing to do with that.

51% > 49%

That's just indisputable, the fact it's just BARELY true matters not.  And in this case, 51% is an arbitrary made up number when in actuality the number is larger.

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

But you compared them directly to the 51% number, which made it seem like you might've thought if a movie had a rating of 51% on Rotten Tomatoes that it was better than 51% of movies.

That's a pretty long detour to come to an opposing view.  51% is simply the smallest number that tips the scale towards majority, see above

He's meaning the same thing you are, basically. He's claiming Redux was stating "they are damn fine movies" as a fact, when it's only his opinion.

Should we all have little disclaimers as signature tags that say:

"WARNING, MAY SHARE OPINIONS OTHERS DISAGREE WITH, DON'T TAKE THESE AS FACT"

It would be pretty silly to do that wouldn't it? But I suppose since I'm in the minority here next time I get the urge to share that viewpoint I'll make sure that I let it known beforehand if my post is fact and or opinion.  My apologies for the confusion.

3 hours ago, Redux said:

51% > 49%

That's just indisputable, the fact it's just BARELY true matters not.  And in this case, 51% is an arbitrary made up number when in actuality the number is larger.

That's a pretty long detour to come to an opposing view.  51% is simply the smallest number that tips the scale towards majority, see above

Rotten Tomatoes percentages can't be used the way you're using them. The % on RT is the % of reviewers who gave a positive review. It's not a quantile to rate movies against each other. A 57% doesn't mean it was better than 57% of other movies, which is how you're using it. It's completely unrelated to the number of movies with a lower score.

You can say people probably liked a 57% movie more than a 56% movie, but you don't know how many movies had a score of less than 56%. It could be only a small portion of all movies.

Let's pretend there are 100 movies ever made. It's possible that 85 of the movies have an RT score of more than 70%.

That would mean a movie with a score of 71% is only considered better than 15 other movies.

RT doesn't release the distribution of the percentages, so who knows. It could be that only 30% of all movies have a score of < 57%. Or maybe 65% of all movies have a score of < 57%.

17 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Rotten Tomatoes percentages can't be used the way you're using them.

I'll say this again....slowly.

I

Didn't 

Bring

The

RT

Percentages

Into

The

Discussion

And the 51% is a number that got pulled out of thin air.  Let me make this suggestion to you, walk away from this.  There is no discussion here, it's just bickering based off of disdain.  I'll even let you have the last word.

20 minutes ago, Redux said:

I'll say this again....slowly.

I

Didn't 

Bring

The

RT

Percentages

Into

The

Discussion

And the 51% is a number that got pulled out of thin air.  Let me make this suggestion to you, walk away from this.  There is no discussion here, it's just bickering based off of disdain.  I'll even let you have the last word.

It doesn't matter who brought it into the discussion. The person who brought them into the discussion didn't use them incorrectly or try to prove how many more movies are worse than Ep I (thus "proving" it was better than the majority or most or 57%) based off the percentages. And I happen to like numbers and I completely disagree with the statement that Ep. I is good or that most people liked it or the incorrect use of these % to try to prove it. I've supported you several times in this topic and argue with Landlord quite a bit in other topics.

Now back on the discussing the numbers, I've discovered you can actually find the info if you browse at the below link.

42.7% of movies have a rating as bad or worse than Ep I. 57.3% of movies have a rating better than Ep. I. These are critic ratings I believe, so maybe not relevant.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/browse/dvd-streaming-all?minTomato=0&maxTomato=100&services=amazon;hbo_go;itunes;netflix_iw;vudu;amazon_prime;fandango_now&genres=1;2;4;5;6;8;9;10;11;13;18;14&sortBy=release

It doesn't matter who brought it into the discussion. The person who brought them into the discussion didn't use them incorrectly or try to prove how many more movies are worse than Ep I (thus "proving" it was better than the majority or most or 57%) based off the percentages. And I happen to like numbers and I completely disagree with the statement that Ep. I is good or that most people liked it or the incorrect use of these % to try to prove it. I've supported you several times in this topic and argue with Landlord quite a bit in other topics.

Now back on the discussing the numbers, I've discovered you can actually find the info if you browse at the below link.

42.7% of movies have a rating as bad or worse than Ep I. 57.3% of movies have a rating better than Ep. I. These are critic ratings I believe, so maybe not relevant.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/browse/dvd-streaming-all?minTomato=0&maxTomato=100&services=amazon;hbo_go;itunes;netflix_iw;vudu;amazon_prime;fandango_now&genres=1;2;4;5;6;8;9;10;11;13;18;14&sortBy=release

The initial discussion point was that the PT movies are better than most other movies out there. I provided evidence to show that critical and popular opinion, via one of the largest aggregation websites, disagrees with this. 

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

No, you are interpreting the numbers, and how I originally provided them, incorrectly. I provided the numbers to give a broad-based comparison of the general consensus of both critics and audiences to the Star Wars movie franchise. This was to reply to Redux's point that the PT movies are better than most other movies by showing that, however flawed the formula might be, Rotten Tomatoes shows that the PT are generally thought of in an average-to-negative light (particularly in comparison with both the OT movies and a portion of the new movies), which is in direct conflict with his stated opinion.That was the original intent behind the numbers that I provided.  

I edite my post while you were typing. I completely misunderstood your reply, sorry. I didn't read the last part carefully.

• Plus1 1

36 minutes ago, Redux said:

It's gotten so diluted and pointless i just don't care anymore.  Fine, the PT movies are worse than "most" movies.  I still enjoy them even if I don't believe that to be true.

Your argument shouldn't be "The PT movies are better/worst than most others". It should be "I LIKE the PT movies more than most". Which really doesn't make it an argument at all, more of a discussion. I mean, we all like movies that can be seen as sort-of crappy by the population at large. 

7 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Your argument shouldn't be "The PT movies are better/worst than most others". It should be "I LIKE the PT movies more than most". Which really doesn't make it an argument at all, more of a discussion. I mean, we all like movies that can be seen as sort-of crappy by the population at large. 

I think you're really ignoring the fact that there are countless terrible to mediocre films out there.  An impossible task, but if one could do so, even mostly awful Episode II would be more enjoyable to watch than the plethora of crappy movies available to watch.  Just browse through Netflix sometime and see how many BAD movies there are.

This isn't even really an argument, It was a statement and I stand by it even if it's a poor opinion or not.  And I'm over debating it.  I'm fully aware that the PT was largely disappointing compared to what it could have been.  That fact doesn't ruin it for me.

14 minutes ago, Redux said:

I think you're really ignoring the fact that there are countless terrible to mediocre films out there.  An impossible task, but if one could do so, even mostly awful Episode II would be more enjoyable to watch than the plethora of crappy movies available to watch.  Just browse through Netflix sometime and see how many BAD movies there are.

This isn't even really an argument, It was a statement and I stand by it even if it's a poor opinion or not.  And I'm over debating it.  I'm fully aware that the PT was largely disappointing compared to what it could have been.  That fact doesn't ruin it for me.

I mean, sure, it's your hill to die on. March on, my man. 

• 6 months later...