- - - - -

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (Spoilers for Episode 7)

• You cannot reply to this topic
102 replies to this topic

#51 huKSer

The Bobfather

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:02 AM

Jimmy Fallon said the title for Episode IX will be "Oops, just found another one"

#52 Enhance89

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,005 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:20 AM

It wouldn't make sense to take the story line towards the path of "the Jedi are no more."  We spent the entirety of TFA essentially being told the Jedi are the only chance the good guys have of defeating evil.  Killing them off or somehow ending their line seems to go against, really, one of the whole points of the films.

I also don't think "The Last Jedi" necessarily suggests death - where are people getting this idea from?  Just by reading the title?  It could also just be a direct reference to Luke - he's literally the last Jedi.

fro daddy, Enhance89 & knapplc are The Trifecta of Awesomeness

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#53 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 39,319 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:23 AM

I'm apparently laboring under a false assumption. I read somewhere that they had announced that Luke was going to die in this show. Couldn't even tell you where I heard that, but clearly they haven't announced any such thing, so...

clEdF.png

The failure to condemn is necessarily the act to condone.

#54 whateveritis1224

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:19 PM

I'm apparently laboring under a false assumption. I read somewhere that they had announced that Luke was going to die in this show. Couldn't even tell you where I heard that, but clearly they haven't announced any such thing, so...

Luke dying has been speculated since they announced a new trilogy.

#55 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • 18,024 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

Well now, I guess we can't count on Gen. Hyten from US Strategic Command to help fight the dark side.

https://twitter.com/StanfordCISAC/status/824007798811787264

Sorry, I found this tweet funny amongst all of the Star Wars mania going on right now.

"Argument turns too easily into animosity.  Disagreement escalates into dehumanization.  Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions."

George Bush

#56 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 22,637 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:52 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the title, but it certainly doesn't imply that there won't be any more Jedi. 

Luke is currently the last of the Jedi. All the title signals to me is that he's going to play a big role in the movie, and they're amplifying the mystique around his status. Look how precarious the situation is for the good guys!

It's a bit of a trite way to do it, though. Jumping universes, Aang was The Last Airbender...until the heroes triumphed and then he wasn't, because more airbenders would descend from him.

check us out @Huskerboard !

#57 Moiraine

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:30 PM

We all thought you were talking about the title only.

#58 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 39,319 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

https://twitter.com/DepressedDarth/status/824388190693916672

clEdF.png

#59 huKSer

The Bobfather

• Members2
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:05 PM

C3BILU_XcAEebU9.jpg

#60 huKSer

The Bobfather

• Members2
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:17 PM

Star Wars XII was on TV tonight.

The big halogram evil guy called Luke "The Last Jedi"

#61 Moiraine

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:03 AM

Star wars 12????????

And hmmm that kinda answers it for me. If Snoke calls him the last jedi then it doesn't mean he's gonna die.

#62 huKSer

The Bobfather

• Members2
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

Star wars 12????????

And hmmm that kinda answers it for me. If Snoke calls him the last jedi then it doesn't mean he's gonna die.

Must have been tired, VII not XII, hologram not halogram.  All I know is that it wasn't alcohol - Doc said to give my liver a break.

#63 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 39,319 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:58 PM

https://twitter.com/Ameerguapo/status/828780945796907012

clEdF.png

#64 El Diaco

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 7,958 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:33 PM

On a selfish note: I kind of have a feeling Luke and Leia were going to reunite in IX, and so now we won't see that. Hope I'm wrong. Seems like it'd happen early in IX but I suppose late in VIII is possible too.
As far as the rest of her IX scenes, VII had a "passing the torch" feel to it so I never felt she would have a major role in VIII or IX. They just need to figure out a sensitive way to explain her absence.

Honestly, they don't even need to do that. A young Carrie Fisher showed up in Rogue One - an old one can just as easily show up in IX. Technology is quite insane.

I thought they CG'D the young Princess Leia in Rogue One but there was another actress (not Carrie) credited with the appearance. This would indicate that they might not shy away from recasting for an older Leia.
post-130-0-71012400-1485562235.png

BC- HANDLING THE HARD STUFF FOR HUSKERBOARD!
Winning is not a sometime thing, it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while... you don't do the right thing once in a while...you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit.-Vince Lombardi

#65 whateveritis1224

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:34 AM

On a selfish note: I kind of have a feeling Luke and Leia were going to reunite in IX, and so now we won't see that. Hope I'm wrong. Seems like it'd happen early in IX but I suppose late in VIII is possible too.
As far as the rest of her IX scenes, VII had a "passing the torch" feel to it so I never felt she would have a major role in VIII or IX. They just need to figure out a sensitive way to explain her absence.

Honestly, they don't even need to do that. A young Carrie Fisher showed up in Rogue One - an old one can just as easily show up in IX. Technology is quite insane.

I thought they CG'D the young Princess Leia in Rogue One but there was another actress (not Carrie) credited with the appearance. This would indicate that they might not shy away from recasting for an older Leia.

They only did that trick because Fisher was alive and there for the approval.  If episode IX was 20 years in the future, I could possibly see something like this.  At this point, there is no way in heck they are going to touch that with a 100 ft pole.  I have no clue what they are going to do, but I'm pretty sure the story group has already stated they are not going to recast and they're not going to CG.

#66 Moiraine

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:42 AM

Ya. There's no way they would recast or CGI.

And before anyone brings up Tarkin, that actor died 2 decades ago and wasn't beloved the way Fisher was. They will deal with her character off screen.

#67 Landlord of Memorial Stadium

Legend

• Members
  • 16,094 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:08 AM

There is precedent for it ala Paul Walker. I have no idea if they've stated that they won't be doing it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a possibility, and I don't think it would be done in any way that wasn't with the utmost respect and remembrance.

"I’d rather f------ work at McDonald’s than work with some of those guys. Not that there is anything bad about working at McDonald’s.” - Bo Pelini

#68 Red Five

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,109 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:10 AM

The actress credited (Ingvild Deila) was the one that physically stood there for the shoot.  Then they CGI'd Leia's face/body on to her.

Same thing with 'The Moff'.  Some dude named Guy Henry is credited with playing him, but he was just the physical body that was there in the scenes.

https://www.cnet.com...ss-leia-tarkin/

The stupidity of some of our fans never ceases to amaze me. - ADS

#69 El Diaco

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 7,958 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:20 AM

The actress credited (Ingvild Deila) was the one that physically stood there for the shoot.  Then they CGI'd Leia's face/body on to her.

Same thing with 'The Moff'.  Some dude named Guy Henry is credited with playing him, but he was just the physical body that was there in the scenes.

https://www.cnet.com...ss-leia-tarkin/

Well that explains a lot. I couldn't get over how much she looked like her and then to see another credited... Makes sense now.
post-130-0-71012400-1485562235.png

BC- HANDLING THE HARD STUFF FOR HUSKERBOARD!
Winning is not a sometime thing, it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while... you don't do the right thing once in a while...you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit.-Vince Lombardi

#70 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 39,319 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:32 AM

There's nothing crazier than how much the current actress looks like the original Mon Mothma. Could be her daughter, or a young relative.

GhVh4PI.jpg

clEdF.png

#71 Enhance89

Legend

• Members
  • 10,005 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:56 AM

For those who are interested, it sounds like the first trailer for The Last Jedi has been seen by a small number of people, and one of them spilled the beans.  All the information is unconfirmed as the first teaser probably won't be released until April, but the description sounds pretty legit.

(Disclaimer: this isn't the trailer but a description of what was seen.)

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#72 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 39,319 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:45 PM

h5Eva4i.jpg

clEdF.png

#73 Mavric

Legend

• Mods
  • 43,869 posts

HB Donor Gold

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:09 AM

At last, Disney has put the galaxy’s largest “singular or plural?” question to rest. In January, the studio revealed that the title of Star Wars: Episode VIII would be The Last Jedi, sparking a debate (à la The Last Samurai) about whether the word Jedi is meant to be singular or plural in this instance.

On Friday we got our answer, thanks to the official French Star Wars Twitter account, which divulged the French title of the film:

Les Derniers Jedi uses the plural form of “Last,” making it indisputable: The Last Jedi definitely refers to multiple Jedi. Other offical foreign accounts soon also posted titles in their languages, all using plural pronouns, in case there was any remaining doubt.

Slate

https://twitter.com/StarWarsFR/status/832502743378051072

bKzWyb.jpgI7yKkp.jpgelgfqt.jpg

#74 Mavric

Legend

• Mods
  • 43,869 posts

HB Donor Gold

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:28 AM

Some info from a sneak-peak for shareholders.

https://twitter.com/DanielNMiller/status/839528735934033920

https://twitter.com/DanielNMiller/status/839529154961813505

#75 Bball1091

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

https://www.yahoo.co...-232823235.html

#76 huKSer

The Bobfather

• Members2
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

Iger also revealed that the next film, a standalone project on Han Solo, will follow his life from the age of 18 through 24. The film will including “acquiring a certain vehicle and meeting a certain Wookie,” he said. “You’ll also discover how he got his name.

"Han thought he was alone on the ship when Chewie walks in and sees him . . . ."

Hey, I thought this was a PG film

#77 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 39,319 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

Here's the official poster:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/852912773910548480

5LSaJcw.jpg

clEdF.png

#78 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 39,319 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:00 AM

And here's the official teaser:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/852913950060494848

clEdF.png

#79 StPaulHusker

Legend

• Members
  • 11,662 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:00 AM

That's a dumb poster

c7U8vFB.png       sIg8nr1.png        Vsx5CoZ.png      QUyYgF4.png

#80 saunders45

Legend

• Mods
  • 10,250 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:29 AM

That's a dumb poster

WITAF.

WFKrsLn.jpg

#81 saunders45

Legend

• Mods
  • 10,250 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:29 AM

WFKrsLn.jpg

#82 StPaulHusker

Legend

• Members
  • 11,662 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:38 AM

The trailer is cool, though

#83 Landlord of Memorial Stadium

Legend

• Members
  • 16,094 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:40 AM

I think that poster is amazing.

I think that teaser is amazing.

I f'ing love Star Wars.

Gotta go change my pants.

"I’d rather f------ work at McDonald’s than work with some of those guys. Not that there is anything bad about working at McDonald’s.” - Bo Pelini

#84 StPaulHusker

Legend

• Members
  • 11,662 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:45 AM

That's a dumb poster

WITAF.

Just because it's something Star Wars doesn't make it the greatest thing.  It just doesn't look good in my humble opinion.

#85 saunders45

Legend

• Mods
  • 10,250 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:47 AM

That's a dumb poster

WITAF.

Just because it's something Star Wars doesn't make it the greatest thing.  It just doesn't look good in my humble opinion.

See, even without the "Star Wars-ness" of it, I love the design. A throwback to the original movie, but a clean and simple look with nice contrasting coloration.

WFKrsLn.jpg

#86 StPaulHusker

Legend

• Members
  • 11,662 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:01 AM

https://twitter.com/trillballins/status/852926717941383169

#87 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 22,637 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:11 AM

Haha, oh man. Is that a real poster?

I dig the logo and I like the concept of this poster. The colors seem a little off to me. Mostly I'm super excited -- and also scared that they're going to ruin my baby. I love you TFA! :hiphip :hiphip :hiphip

#88 suh_fan93

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:27 AM

This feels like TFA pt 2.  I hope there's a lot of Luke in it.

560997fc7d88a.image.jpg

#89 saunders45

Legend

• Mods
  • 10,250 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:27 AM

lol... duh?

WFKrsLn.jpg

#90 suh_fan93

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:33 AM

lol... duh?

So how much is Luke featured in this?  You've apparently seen it already...

560997fc7d88a.image.jpg

#91 Cdog923

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

That's a good trailer. Not as good as the Thor one from Monday, but still good. 

Coffee is for closers...

#92 Dewiz

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 6,586 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:49 AM

That's a dumb poster

I kind of agree. Certainly a different look than wha we're used to seeing when compared to their other movie trailers posters. I'm more of a fan of their trademark style of their previous movie posters if you want to call it that.

It's more of a meh for me but trailer looks interesting

#93 Enhance89

Legend

• Members
  • 10,005 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

Episodes 7-9 are being written and marketed with a more connected story arc.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#94 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 22,637 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

So how much is Luke featured in this?

Nothing against Mark Hamil, but aside from his ... functional role as protagonist of the legendary original trilogy, he's really made his mark in voice acting.

TFA part 1 really featured Han Solo, but Harrison Ford is a veritable cinema superstar, so that made sense. There's a danger in going too much Luke here. The old characters are here to anchor the new trilogy in the nostalgia of the old, but the story must progress beyond them. TFA should have been the passing of the torch already. I'll be disappointed if Eps. 8 & 9 are "Okay, Han. It's Leia's turn, then Luke's." This is Rey (et al.)'s story, dadgummit!

#95 Dewiz

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 6,586 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

https://twitter.com/trillballins/status/852926717941383169

Hahaha this was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the TLJ movie poster.

#96 suh_fan93

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:54 AM

So how much is Luke featured in this?

Nothing against Mark Hamil, but aside from his ... functional role as protagonist of the legendary original trilogy, he's really made his mark in voice acting.

TFA part 1 really featured Han Solo, but Harrison Ford is a veritable cinema superstar, so that made sense. There's a danger in going too much Luke here. The old characters are here to anchor the new trilogy in the nostalgia of the old, but the story must progress beyond them. TFA should have been the passing of the torch already. I'll be disappointed if Eps. 8 & 9 are "Okay, Han. It's Leia's turn, then Luke's." This is Rey (et al.)'s story, dadgummit!

I think if written well having a movie featuring an already existing character such as Luke could definitely work and be really good also.  Again it just feels like TFA pt 2 as Poe, Finn, Rey, BB-8 and Kylo Ren are all back.  It's still Star Wars so I'm sure in the end I'll like it.  I won't lie and say seeing the exact same characters from 2 movies ago didn't necessarily have me jumping out of my seat.

560997fc7d88a.image.jpg

#97 zoogs

Legend

• Admin
  • 22,637 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:01 PM

I think so, but I also think that in addition to Hamil not really being a good fit to carry the franchise, his character's had his story told. It's time for new stories. To me, the entire point of this trilogy is to tell the stories of the new characters. So of course Rey, Finn, Poe, and BB-8 are back. They're the centerpiece of this trilogy...and not to mention, each of the humans in this list is a tremendous rising talent in the film industry.

#98 Moiraine

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

I hope we don't get emo Luke the whole time. He needs to have Cher arrive on Hermit/Hobo Island and tell him to snap out of it.

#99 Landlord of Memorial Stadium

Legend

• Members
  • 16,094 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:44 PM

After watching the trailer a few times and looking at the poster I think there's some clues to possibly be gleamed?

I imagine the story will center around, in some respect, Luke training Rey the way Yoda trained him. However, because of being emo but also enlightened Luke, and the last Jedi left, he's come to a conclusion that the Jedi could never bring balance to the force because they shunned all things dark, and so by training Rey he's ushering in a new edgy ultra Jedi order that embraces light and dark, and Kylo Ren will not be super far off from the same spectrum - his motivations are still largely a mystery, but a good theory is that he is manipulating the dark side by embracing it in order to ultimately vanquish Snoke.

The gradient from blue to red in that poster's lightsaber is no accident.

#100 Mavric

Legend

• Mods
  • 43,869 posts

HB Donor Gold

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

After watching the trailer a few times and looking at the poster I think there's some clues to possibly be gleamed?

I imagine the story will center around, in some respect, Luke training Rey the way Yoda trained him. However, because of being emo but also enlightened Luke, and the last Jedi left, he's come to a conclusion that the Jedi could never bring balance to the force because they shunned all things dark, and so by training Rey he's ushering in a new edgy ultra Jedi order that embraces light and dark, and Kylo Ren will not be super far off from the same spectrum - his motivations are still largely a mystery, but a good theory is that he is manipulating the dark side by embracing it in order to ultimately vanquish Snoke.

The gradient from blue to red in that poster's lightsaber is no accident.

Pretty good guess at it I'd say.

It will be interesting to see how much time they spend on the training and Luke's backstory.  It was obviously almost the entire trailer.  I'm sure it won't be the entire movie but will it be 10%?  25%?  50%?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users