Cutting the Cord

DeWiz mentioned a 28 day storage limit. I don't know if or when they got away from that, but it doesn't appear to be the case anymore. I still have recorded movies/shows I added when we first got it way back in the fall and can still watch them right now.

Well that's good to know. I know when I did the free trial it was like that but maybe it was like that only for the free trials.

DeWiz mentioned a 28 day storage limit. I don't know if or when they got away from that, but it doesn't appear to be the case anymore. I still have recorded movies/shows I added when we first got it way back in the fall and can still watch them right now.

Well that's good to know. I know when I did the free trial it was like that but maybe it was like that only for the free trials.

I definitely remember reading about that when I signed up too, but it doesn't seem like they're holding us to it at all. Not gonna complain!

FYI, youtube is adding a streaming service comparable to slingtv and vue. It's only available a few places right now, but looks like it will be at least as good.

I have vue on the roku, and the streaming is good, but the interface sucks. I've heard it's much better on the PS4.

Anyone looking at using OTA antenna should check out the homerun products made by SiliconDust. It's a device that takes an HD signal and encodes it over an IP stream on your home network. It works directly on a computer, but there's other ways to view it. My recommendation is for anyone using Plex, to use it with the new Plex DVR functionality.

And anyone who hasn't experienced the awesomeness that is the home media server, check out Plex. It's awesome and it's free!

Everyone - what is in your opinion the best way to stream video's - get movies, TV shows onto my TV? - I'm on DSL in my local for the internet. It has some issues. We still get Netflex via the mail and I want to jump into this century. So how would you suggest I go forward without breaking the bank. I'm not a techno wiz by any means. I'll get my son to help me. Thanks

Get a Roku. LINK TO AMAZON

It's a little box that runs apps. I have a Netflix account, so I run the Netflix app through the Roku. Search, play, pause, whatever is on Netflix, you just find it through the Roku. Watch YouTube through the app, watch Amazon, HBO Go, whatever. If there's an app for it, Roku plays it. Enter your account info & go. Super easy.

Get a Roku. LINK TO AMAZON

It's a little box that runs apps. I have a Netflix account, so I run the Netflix app through the Roku. Search, play, pause, whatever is on Netflix, you just find it through the Roku. Watch YouTube through the app, watch Amazon, HBO Go, whatever. If there's an app for it, Roku plays it. Enter your account info & go. Super easy.

Great. So the Roku connects to my DSL router and that is all I need - besides wifi to do it without a bunch of cables - since we are cutting cables after all.

thanks Knapp :thumbs I'll ck it out

• 2 weeks later...

YouTube TV Just Added 7 New Networks—Here's How It Stacks Up

It’s not available for everyone yet

The biggest drawback of the TV service provided by YouTube is that it’s not available for all users in the country.

Currently, YouTube TV has launched in five metro areas: Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia and the San Francisco Bay Area. While there are plans to expand, thus far only people living in those five areas can subscribe to the service. If you’re around those hubs, you can always get your location checked out to see if you qualify.

You’ll still have to subscribe to some content separately

With platforms like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime producing high-quality fan-favorite original content, you’ll still need to subscribe to these streaming services separately to access their respective content. The same applies to premium cable content like HBO and Showtime — the latter can be added on YouTube TV for $11/month. This is an additional cost that should be factored in when deciding the right combination of entertainment packages.

Channels that come with YouTube TV’s basic package

A subscription to YouTube TV comes with the following channels, aside from the seven new aforementioned networks:

BROADCAST

ABC

CBS

The CW (live or on demand depending on region)

FOX

NBC

SPORTS

Big Ten Network

CBS Sports Network

Comcast RSN

ESPN

ESPN2

ESPNews

ESPNU

Fox RSN

FS1