Cutting the Cord

Also, do you need something specific to have SLING? (Meaning, do you need like appletv or firetv or roku, etc.)

Sling TV is an app you download on a settop streaming box (AppleTV, FireTV, Roku, Chromecast, or video game system (XBox One) and subscribe to monthly. You can pick the base bundle for $20/month and then add-on other bundles for $5-10/mo., depending on the bundle (e.g. ESPN is in the Sports bundle).

So,

ESPN - Sling TV

Is it live? Also, is it all of the ESPN channels?

BTN - Currently no option other than having a friend with it?

AMC - Sling TV

FSN - not possible at all?

Next question, what other channels were the Huskers on this year that I would need still?

ESPN is live on Sling TV, as are the other available ESPN channels you can get in that package. You get ESPN and ESPN 2 as part of the base Sling package, and the SEC Network, ESPN U, ESPN News, and ESPN Goalline are all part of the $5/mo. add-on package you can pick up. I think the only things missing that are ESPN related are the Longwhorn Network (not long for the Earth anyway) and ESPN 8: The Ocho.

BTN was, at one point and time, make a streaming app available to a bunch of devices, including gaming consoles...but the only thing that got it was Roku as far as I know. And since BTN is part of the Fox Sports family of networks, and there was discussion of a larger, consolidated effort by Fox to integrate their sports networks in with their other streaming initiatives, there may be something later this year...but who knows. :dunno

And the potential channels we could be on this year would be ESPNs, ABC, BTN, and, if we've truly learned from our mistakes, Fox.

Also, do you need something specific to have SLING? (Meaning, do you need like appletv or firetv or roku, etc.)

Sling TV is an app you download on a settop streaming box (AppleTV, FireTV, Roku, Chromecast, or video game system (XBox One) and subscribe to monthly. You can pick the base bundle for $20/month and then add-on other bundles for $5-10/mo., depending on the bundle (e.g. ESPN is in the Sports bundle).

So,

ESPN - Sling TV

AMC - Sling TV

Next question, what other channels were the Huskers on this year that I would need still?

ESPN is live on Sling TV, as are the other available ESPN channels you can get in that package. You get ESPN and ESPN 2 as part of the base Sling package, and the SEC Network, ESPN U, ESPN News, and ESPN Goalline are all part of the $5/mo. add-on package you can pick up. I think the only things missing that are ESPN related are the Longwhorn Network (not long for the Earth anyway) and ESPN 8: The Ocho.

BTN was, at one point and time, make a streaming app available to a bunch of devices, including gaming consoles...but the only thing that got it was Roku as far as I know. And since BTN is part of the Fox Sports family of networks, and there was discussion of a larger, consolidated effort by Fox to integrate their sports networks in with their other streaming initiatives, there may be something later this year...but who knows. :dunno

And the potential channels we could be on this year would be ESPNs, ABC, BTN, and, if we've truly learned from our mistakes, Fox.

Alright, thanks.

Next question:

Is it as good as live tv or are there STREAMING issues...lag, etc.

So,

ESPN - Sling TV

AMC - Sling TV

Alright, thanks.

Next question:

From what I've seen (at my cousin's house in Omaha over thanksgiving) it's pretty good, on par with Netflix or WatchESPN quality.

So,

ESPN - Sling TV

AMC - Sling TV

Alright, thanks.

Next question:

From what I've seen (at my cousin's house in Omaha over thanksgiving) it's pretty good, on par with Netflix or WatchESPN quality.

Ditto what Saunders says--pretty much if you can get 1080p with Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime, you'll get 720p/1080i with Sling TV (resolution depending on the provider and broadcast as I understand it, and not an indictment of the service itself).

Only hiccups I've heard of are during huge live sporting events (e.g. College Football Playoffs), but otherwise it's good.

Matty, you got DirecTV or Dish?

DirecTV

Are you currently under contract or are you free to drop anytime?

Contract, unfortunately.
How much longer?

Also, what devices do you have in the home and are you willing to part with any? Lastly, are you willing to downgrade your channel package at all?

Matty, you got DirecTV or Dish?

DirecTV

Are you currently under contract or are you free to drop anytime?
Contract, unfortunately.
How much longer?

Also, what devices do you have in the home and are you willing to part with any? Lastly, are you willing to downgrade your channel package at all?

I'm not sure how much lower I can go with my package.

What devices do I have? As in like, PS4, Amazon Fire Stick.

I mean, when my contract is up, I plan to cut the cord, my hope is in 1 year, FSN and BTN have become more available.

Well you can be saving money until your contract is up. This goes for anyone looking to save some scratch on their current Cable bill.

First things first. It helps to have a reason to call. In my case I was eliminating a receiver in one room and dropping a level on my channel package. When I explained to her I was simply looking to lower my bill (was around $115), she told me she could give me some disctounts. I am now paying roughly $50.

Now, for those looking to drop cable all together, you can still get some discounts.

Calling and talking to "Steve" will get you nowhere. When you get "Steve" on the line, tell him very firmly without calling him Jafar or something offensive that you are considering dropping service or switching providers. "Steve" will be hesitant to do so and will try not to, but your goal here is to get connected to the Retentions Department. Their sole purpose is to keep you as a customer, contract or not. A little phone savvy and these people will be your friends. I have saved a bundle over the last 3 years by getting good at finding retentions.

They will give you the BS 3 month premimum channel package for free of course. Don't stop there. Tell them you are sick of paying X amount and you are going to drop service or switch to Dish and pay X amount. Thats hopefully when they will start offering you discounts. Rarely will they ever agree to disconnect your service without fighting to keep you as a customer.