Cutting the Cord

Who has cut the cord?

I'm starting to feel the pressure to do so. I already have Netflix and Amazon Prime. I'm looking into doing the antenna to get local channels as well.

The issue for me would be not having BTN, ESPN, AMC, Fox Sports North (Twins Games)

What are the options to watch those channels live? Prices?

I've cut the cord, got the antenna and also added Hulu. Talked to my brother, who still has cable and got his email/password for his cable and added ESPN to the Roku and can still watch that live.

Don't miss cable at all, especially right now. I haven't seen a commercial in months. And I really like not having the $160 cable bill a month to watch 5 channels.

You can do Sling tv for ESPN, and AMC, but as of now, there's no option for you to watch in market baseball, or BTN, without a cable subscription.

So, it appears my main problem will be FSN?

Sling TV is here: https://www.sling.com/

BTN you can get around if you have a cable login for a friend. Your only option for baseball is subscribing to MLB.tv, but that only works if you're outside of your team's market (or feel like screwing with proxies).

I cut cable a year ago, got it back for the college football season, then dropped it midway through because we weren't watching it. Commercials are awful, and with Netflix, Amazon Prime & various things on Youtube, I haven't watched a commercial at home forever.

I don't miss cable at all. I most certainly do not miss paying for cable, and I don't miss commercials.

I have SlingTV, and it's OK, but I don't watch it that much. I've watched a few things on ESPN, but I have so many hundreds of hours of shows on Netflix to watch that I barely ever have time to watch anything on Sling. For $20 it's worth it if you're a big TV watcher, but I may axe Sling in a little bit, too.

It really does suck that there's no BTN option. The Big Ten needs to get with the times and get their own over-the-top service. The SEC has one, which you can add on to Sling for $5 more per month. I'd do that if the BTN was an option.

Also, do you need something specific to have SLING? (Meaning, do you need like appletv or firetv or roku, etc.)

You don't "need" one, if you will watch on your computer/tablet, but yes, it's much more viable with a stand alone device. It won't work with Apple TV, so IMO, I'd go with the Roku, preferably a 3 or later version, plus you can do netflix, Prime Now, etc.. on it.

So,

ESPN - Sling TV

Is it live? Also, is it all of the ESPN channels?

BTN - Currently no option other than having a friend with it?

AMC - Sling TV

FSN - not possible at all?

Next question, what other channels were the Huskers on this year that I would need still?

Sling's website will show you which channels you get. To get all the espn channels, you'd need to add their sports option for $5 a month. BTN, you're SOL, same with anything Fox Sports. Are you in the Twins market?

As for what channels the Huskers were on, with the B1G, it's gonna be ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN News, and BTN. If we have an away game for non conference, it's up to that conference's TV package, but usually those end up on ESPN.

It really does suck that there's no BTN option. The Big Ten needs to get with the times and get their own over-the-top service. The SEC has one, which you can add on to Sling for $5 more per month. I'd do that if the BTN was an option.

The SEC one exists because it's part of the ESPN package. Since Fox owns a stake in the BTN, and they refuse to put any of their channels on Sling, it's not gonna happen until they change their stance.