Tennessee Football

GSG

16 Tennessee coaches stage a pep rally try to defend culture on campus

Sixteen University of Tennessee coaches defended Volunteer athletics in the wake of a federal lawsuit that alleged the school had a culture that enabled sexual assaults by student-athletes.

“I think there’s going to be perception that this was a big kumbaya love fest up here,” Tennessee women’s soccer coach Brian Pensky said. “That would be a little bit of a negative connotation of what this day is all about. I think it’s time for us to be strong.”

Each coach defended Tennessee's athletics program, none even hinting that they saw the kind of culture at the school portrayed in the lawsuit filed earlier this month on behalf of six women.

Lawsuit: Tennessee coach Butch Jones called player a 'traitor'

University of Tennessee football coach Butch Jones told one of his players he “betrayed the team” after the wide receiver helped a woman who said she was raped by two other football players, according to a new legal filing in a sweeping lawsuit filed by six women against UT.

Sophomore Drae Bowles “broke down and cried” after speaking with his coach, the lawsuit said.

Jones later called Bowles back to apologize for calling him “a traitor to the team,” according to the suit.

The two calls with Jones came after Bowles was punched in the mouth and bloodied by teammate Curt Maggitt as retribution inside the UT locker room, according to the new filing.

One thing to remember - we do not have all the facts yet. Sure it seems bad, but you know what else seemed bad.... the accused rape that took place at Armstrong's home this fall. I would be willing to bet that many of those publicly blasting Butch Jones would have a different tune if there team was under fire. It would be admirable to let the story play out in court, prior to casting judgement. If it is true, the coach will get what he deserves.... If it turns out to not be true, I would feel sorry for all involved as they will have their names linked to another incident that gained traction from the arm-chair activist, also known as people with twitter accounts.

One thing to remember - we do not have all the facts yet. Sure it seems bad, but you know what else seemed bad.... the accused rape that took place at Armstrong's home this fall. I would be willing to bet that many of those publicly blasting Butch Jones would have a different tune if there team was under fire. It would be admirable to let the story play out in court, prior to casting judgement. If it is true, the coach will get what he deserves.... If it turns out to not be true, I would feel sorry for all involved as they will have their names linked to another incident that gained traction from the arm-chair activist, also known as people with twitter accounts.

You have 2 different things here. The stuff happening in Tennessee does involve players while the incident at Armstrong's didn't involve them, it was just at his residence.

• Fire 1
Tennessee Lawsuit Reveals Details Of Unprosecuted Rape Case

On April 13, 2013, Tennessee coach Butch Jones announced that football player Marlin Lane was suspended for “disciplinary reasons.” More than a year later, via reporting by the Tennesseean, it was revealed that those “disciplinary reasons” involved a police investigation into if Lane had raped an 18-year-old high school student.

At the time, it was reported as one of two examples of the university failing to disclose rape investigations involving athletes. The case is back in the news as a part of the sweeping Title IX lawsuit brought against the university, accusing it of “deliberate indifference” to sexual assault by athletes. The woman who said she was raped isn’t one of the eight plaintiffs; instead, the case is cited as one of several examples of how Tennessee’s athletic department used its influence to hinder investigations.

(If the names Marlin Lane and Geraldo Orta, the two players involved, sound familiar, it’s they were accused a year later of confronting and threatening one of their teammates for aiding a separate woman who said she had been raped by two other Tennessee football players.)

• Fire 1

You have 2 different things here. The stuff happening in Tennessee does involve players while the incident at Armstrong's didn't involve them, it was just at his residence.

If we want to get into the semantics on whether it involved them or not, I'd disagree with the bolded statement. Just because a player didn't actually partake in the act, doesn't mean it didn't involve them since the act took place at their residence. The same way a friend of a fraternity member could rape a girl at a frat house and the fraternity would be involved.

All I was saying, is that we have heard one side of the story so far and we should wait to cast judgement until everything is out in the open and the court has provided evidence, one way or another.