Ex - Husker Parrella to be named Husker D-line coach

Mavric

It appears the Huskers are close to announcing their new defensive line coach, and it's a name that will ring very familiar to the fan base.

Multiple sources have told the Journal Star that former Nebraska standout John Parrella will take over the position that came open 17 days ago when Hank Hughes was fired.
While several names were floated for the job, Parrella is believed to be the top choice and and only person offered the job by Mike Riley.
Most recently the defensive line coach at Northern Michigan, Parrella has previous strong connections to both Nebraska and Riley.
He finished his Husker playing career in 1992 as a first-team All-Big Eight defensive tackle, then played 11 seasons in the NFL, including three for the San Diego Chargers while Riley was the head coach there from 1999-2001. NU defensive coordinator Mark Banker was also with the Chargers during that time frame.

LJS

So if he was the only person offered the job, that has to mean that he was our first choice and basically the only one ever considered, right?

• Fire 1

It appears the Huskers are close to announcing their new defensive line coach, and it's a name that will ring very familiar to the fan base.

Multiple sources have told the Journal Star that former Nebraska standout John Parrella will take over the position that came open 17 days ago when Hank Hughes was fired.
While several names were floated for the job, Parrella is believed to be the top choice and and only person offered the job by Mike Riley.
Most recently the defensive line coach at Northern Michigan, Parrella has previous strong connections to both Nebraska and Riley.
He finished his Husker playing career in 1992 as a first-team All-Big Eight defensive tackle, then played 11 seasons in the NFL, including three for the San Diego Chargers while Riley was the head coach there from 1999-2001. NU defensive coordinator Mark Banker was also with the Chargers during that time frame.

LJS

So if he was the only person offered the job, that has to mean that he was our first choice and basically the only one ever considered, right?

Riley said he started with 50 candidates and narrowed it down to 10. So, no. He wasn't the ONLY one considered.

LJS

Riley said he started with 50 candidates and narrowed it down to 10. So, no. He wasn't the ONLY one considered.

Right, it is possible that he was our first choice and so therefore was the only one offered the job but that does not mean other candidates weren't considered. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

I like that so many people seem to like him and also that Riley and Banker have personal familiarity with him since before they were ever associated with Nebraska.

But his coaching resume so far is reaaaaaaaaally underwhelming. I hope all that excitement is well deserved. I'm not hard to get on board.

• Fire 1

I like that so many people seem to like him and also that Riley and Banker have personal familiarity with him since before they were ever associated with Nebraska.

But his coaching resume so far is reaaaaaaaaally underwhelming. I hope all that excitement is well deserved. I'm not hard to get on board.

That's what she said

Sounds good. If he can recruit then he will be a great hire. Love having a guy with ties to our staff that they trust and a former Blackshirt is nice too. His coaching experience is lackluster but I trust that Riley and Co. interviewed him to see how he was with their X's and O's. Former husker John Garrison did a pretty good job of hopping into the job and doing well on the recruiting trail.

A tidbit on recruiting from an older LJS story:

http://journalstar.com/sports/local/football/leaving-football-never-an-option-for-parrella/article_be601aca-ce73-52c6-8e69-19d853a172e3.html

(Parrella) recruits in Michigan, Wisconsin, New Jersey and California.

“You try to get the point across that you can play football, but we’re going to make sure you learn to learn in school, learn to grow as a man and be prepared for life after college,” Parrella said. “I had great coaches. Charlie McBride is the closest thing to my dad. Milt Tenopir is one of the people who taught me a lot. I call Charlie whenever I have a question and I spend time with Mike Waufle, the defensive line coach with the St. Louis Rams, studying the new techniques and the changes in the game.

• Fire 1

http://journalstar.com/sports/local/football/leaving-football-never-an-option-for-parrella/article_be601aca-ce73-52c6-8e69-19d853a172e3.html

“You try to get the point across that you can play football, but we’re going to make sure you learn to learn in school, learn to grow as a man and be prepared for life after college,” Parrella said. “I had great coaches. Charlie McBride is the closest thing to my dad. Milt Tenopir is one of the people who taught me a lot. I call Charlie whenever I have a question and I spend time with Mike Waufle, the defensive line coach with the St. Louis Rams, studying the new techniques and the changes in the game.

Oh Great, a coach who still needs to learn how the DL is supposed to play..............

• Fire 1

Oh Great, a coach who still needs to learn how the DL is supposed to play..............

I hope you missed putting in the sarcasm emoji.

• Fire 1